1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1998 Toyota Recall Frame Rust Buy Back Offer! 2012

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Messyt, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    InactiveUser

InactiveUser Untitled

Member:
    Unknown
    Vehicle:
    looking
    Invisible
    Buy some really cheap used tires in horrible shape and install them, and sell your good tires for more :p

Rinse and repeat.

2. Jan 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    blitzburgh99

blitzburgh99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    239,600 (as of 7-20-13 and counting)original owner miles
    If you love it, don't sell it. Are you the original owner?

I am original owner of a 1999 black TRD v6 4x4 extended cab with power moonroof. I am in the same boat as you....I don't ever want to get rid of mine.

My plan: in the next year or two (before the buyback program ends) I am going to find a southern taco with a clean frame and swap them out. Going to take the 'new' frame and restore it like a collector car resTorer would. Probably even get it powdercoated. (prefer to find one same color/same interior and will pull every last good piece/part I can and put on my truck)

Once I get the old frame in the 'new' truck, I am going to try and get Toyota to buy it back (if it qualifies). If they don't, I plan to sell it for what I paid for in the first place, or part it out.

I also own a 1969 camaro, and I have heard so many ' I used to have a .... And I wish I never would have sold it' with a sad gleem in their eye. I know these are not as valuable/collectible as classic/antique cars.... But they mean just as much to guys like us.

You may find a replacement that is very similar....but it will never be the same.

Life is more than money......and in the long run, when all the others have taken their money and run, and are driving newer vehicles....they will be longing for what they gave up saying ' I wish I never sold that thing'....

That's my two cents......plus a nickel!

Good luck with your decision.

3. Jan 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Messyt,

My 98 was like yours, it had all of the bells and whistles that Toyota could put on it. I had no plans to replace it until I found the frame rusting through. It was running strong. I loved it, but I value my life and that of those riding with me more. If a frame collapses while you are driving at speed, all hell is going to break loose on you.

Under the buyback program, Toyota gives you a check for your truck, you can do anything you want with that money. Buy a new Toyota, buy a new Ford if you wish. You are under no obligation to buy a Toyota, it is your money. They just gave you 150% of resale value. You can go and find another 98 with a good frame for let's say $4000- $6000, do any repairs and upgrades needed and still have cash in your pocket.

4. Jan 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    The T100 is vastly underpowered.

If Toyota buys your truck back, part it out... you'll make some more money that way too. And I'd be scouring your part out thread :eek:

5. Jan 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    Messyt

Messyt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Blitzburgh99,

Thanks for the 5 cents!

1969 Camaro
    1999 Tacoma

Classics!

If you were to buy a 69 Camaro used would you want it with it's original rusty frame or with a different frame from a different truck?

6. Jan 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Wrong, they either used sand (o.k. that has salt, but so do FL beaches) or a chemical compound and even less so in Colorado Springs, where is just to dry for hardly any precipitation.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f76/map-states-use-road-salt-27855/

7. Jan 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    blitzburgh99

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma TRD 4x4

Depends on what I wanted from the 69 camaro.... If it was going to be an investment/show car, then I would want the original clean frame. If I was going to use it as a fun weekend driver and actually use it, either an original rusty frame that could be repaired or a different frame from a different car would be okay.

I just bought some wheels from a guy who had a tundra and had a friend roll it. He bought another one with the insurance money, same color/model, just 2 years newer. Pulled all of his accessories over (wheels, etc). He said that he was still getting used to the new truck and it didn't feel the same as his old one. Was hoping with time that the transition would make him forget his old one.

Is your truck one-owner? TRD? Limiteds in nice shape from our generation are hard to find. Moonroof very rare. and if you do find one that is low mileage and good condition, you will probably pay more than you may anticipate to get it.

8. Jan 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    blitzburgh99

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Yes. The buyback will be paid to whoever is the current owner of the truck. This scenario is possible.

9. Jan 5, 2012 at 3:45 AM
    Messyt

Member:
    Second owner, TRD. Limited with manual moonroof... The most rare! It 's the best truck on the planet. Man.... I've seen automatics and shrugged. 98? The best! 01's look like gmc's! :(

10. Jan 5, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    blitzburgh99

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Sounds badass! Any photos?

Find a donor truck from down south and swap the frame. The prerunners frame is exactly the same as the 4x4, as far as I have been able to tell through my research. Maybe we could both work concurrently on frame swaps and put together a nice build thread on the site. After the buyback period ends, I bet this becomes a popular project.

I also have wondered if a third party parts supplier will come to market after the buybacks expire with new aftermarket frames. With so many Tacomas sold from 98-00, the market and demand should be there.

11. Jan 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    Messyt

Member:
    I have some pictures i will be putting up within the next few days. I'm stuck with the decision to not take the money and end up putting money into this truck for a frame swap but it may be worth it. Toyota just called me and left a message. I'll call them back to see if they are making me an offer and how much $$$. I'll keep you guys posted.

12. Jan 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Colorado uses magnesium chloride. It is still a salt and originally claimed that it will not cause rust or corrosion issues with metal and alloys (as well as being safer for our streams/rivers). While it is far less corrosive than sodium chloride (typical road salt) it is now becoming evident that Mag-Chloride does indeed cause corrosion.

13. Jan 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    Messyt

Member:
    Ok, false alarm! They are asking for me to fax over a copy of my title and current registration before they make me an offer!

14. Jan 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,

Interesting. Still my Taco was bought used @ The Springs, where it had been originally sold to it's one previous owner. It did had a bit of surface rust, but NO CORROSION.

U know that the Springs are a hell of a lot drier than Boulder/Denver or Ft Collins.

15. Jan 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    LOL X 1,000,000

Not true. I owned my '97 for 7 months before it was bought back and was told I could have brought it in immediately after I bought it for the inspection/buyback.

Toyota just doesn't want people to go around swoopin up rusty tacos and cashin in on the buy-back

16. Jan 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    blitzburgh99

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Buy another truck....swap the frames....then take in the donor and get the buyback moolah!

17. Jan 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    even if they offerred me like 12,000 for my 98 i wouldnt sell it, ive been offered trades for beamers and corvette but still said no
    like someone said before you can get another taco thats pretty much the same...but it will never be your previous tacoma !

18. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    Messyt

Member:
    Thanks for discussion this with me. The internet needs a place for us to thoroughly examine this especially for people who want to keep their trucks. I mean, yeah i would take the buy back money in any other truck, not my 98 limited. i have a feeling they will offer me roughly 12,000 and seriously i'm still not 100% sure it will be the right descision to take the cash. I like the frame swap idea but i don't know anyone that can do it and money isn't free'd up right now. How much time will Toyota give me to accept the offer? This has me so stressed out man. I got drunk last night and told myself, "you're keeping your truck, man!". I'm having a tough time with this. People who are happy with the buy back didn't have that special bond with a perfect truck!

19. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Messyt

Member:
    I wish i had the garage to do this kind of work!

20. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    blitzburgh99

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    That is my dilemma right now.... Need a double garage to do the work. I looked at the largest storage units, but they are long front to back and not useful....

From what I can deduct, the swap isn't tremendously hard. The bed all come out in one piece. Pull the engine. Then the cab can be pulled up all in one piece. Suspension and drivetrain are all that's left.

Space, time, and short term cash tied up until the donor is sold....

I feel your pain on making the decision. I just dropped about 3 grand on suspension, winch, Shrockworks, and lights to put on.

Products Discussed in

To Top