1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1999 Tacoma 3.4 has some "issues"

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Thelumberwagon, May 31, 2011.

1. Jun 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Good thread! wish i could help, but it's very interesting to read!

What compression are the 3.4L cyls supposed to be at? anywhere one can rent a compression tester?

2. Jun 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Dont know where to rent but harbor freight has them dirt cheap

3. Jun 4, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Minimum of 145 psi. You can normally rent one from a local auto parts store.

4. Jun 6, 2011 at 6:02 AM
    Thelumberwagon

Thelumberwagon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey!! the threat of naked GF pics worked!!! I thought I had a picture of her tit but it turns out it was just her elbow. Sorry guys....

No new updates yet, just ordered the head gasket kit and will begin disassembly very soon. Those gasket kits sure do range in price from 65.00-450.00 for the exact same parts. I split the difference and went middle of the road and bought new head bolts too since Toyota "strongly recommends" them.

I'm really hoping I'll find that the head gasket is blown and can just keep the repairs to the top half. Before I bought this truck I had noticed that a lot of them bragged about new head gaskets around the same milage so I've just made the assumption that between 150-180K miles, the gaskets give out. Haven't heard much feedback regarding poor cylinder wear/re-ringing these engines so I'm still optimistic that there's hope for it yet.

I don't have mantenaince history so unless there's a clear indication that the T-belt has been replaced, I'll be doing that and the water pump at the same time I'm doing the heads.

5. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  6. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    Thelumberwagon

Thelumberwagon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry guys.....I left ya hangin.

Anyway, to sum it up, the #6 piston had broken down to the ring groove and just beat the living shit out of the piston and head. That explained the bent electrode on the plug. I'm surprised that it didn't demolish it but needless to say, the motor had to be scrapped and another used one installed as the cylinder had suffered enough damage that it was cost prohibitive to repair it. Wasn't much fun in this KS heat but I managed to get it done. BTW....I replace the T-belt, thermostat and water pump on the new engine. Purrs like a kitten.....more or less.

Another interesting point worth mentioning is that apparently when this happened, it caused the timing belt to jump about 5 cogs. I can't believe the damn thing even ran, let alone driving it almost 200 miles home at 80 mph. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

So I installed a used engine and things are going fairly well other than a CEL coming on and now I'm trying to trace down why the new O2 sensor isn't cooperating with me. Now I'm having some issues with it falling on it's face after a while of driving. If you're interested in that whole ordeal, tune into my latest thread and feel free to comment or offer suggestions.

7. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350

Products Discussed in

To Top