1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen 2.4L Repair Musings: Oil pan & A43D Trans

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ToxicGumbo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Aug 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    ToxicGumbo

ToxicGumbo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I really need to move everything above (not transmission rebuild related) to an actual build page. As an update, this truck's been loads of fun despite the open diff, 2WD, and snoozer of an engine. Here's an "extreme offroading adventure" in action:

[​IMG]

Okay, maybe that's just a parking spot, but I have a spare diff awaiting a lunchbox locker and will eventually get the tire clearances in the front to a manageable level. There's a great offroad park nearby that will most certainly require a trial of the winch and traction mats. Can't wait. :rolleyes:

-Jeff

2. Aug 12, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    Obsidian8

Obsidian8 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Somerville, MA
    Vehicle:
    1987 D50
    Yea I was reading that and I'm afraid that I might end up being on the same boat. spend 3 hrs figuring out why my planetary gear output shaft assembly wasnt lining up at the snap ring grove, apparently the nylon washers that came with the kit wasnt OEM so I made (prob a bad) call and left it out to make it work. And even though the tranny is a 43D its from '86 so its not controlled by the TCM(computer might be using the wrong acronym) so urs is def more updated.

The gear slides of the end of the sungear but it seats in the Rear Planetary Gear. I've concluded this after spending 3hrs putting things together and apart inside and out side the damn case lol. and this (http://toyotamarket.ru/gr/711330/016/2/3508/1/35719A/)
    its not even on the diagram in the ATSG manual but luckily I kep the parts together as I was inspecting the tranny before I decided to buy a rebuild kit or go pull one, i would of sent you pics but that part is already installed in what I hope to be in the right spot lol. where the subsections before the center support hard to rotate as you put urs back together?
    Now I'm in the process of installing the frunt clutch assembly in but it needs to go in another 1/8" so that's what I'll be doing before finishing up the assembly. THe issue with my tranny was that the discs in the rear clutch had no friction material. oh and to answer the ? about how it ended up in my dodge ram. ram 50 is basically the same truck as a Mitsubishi might max truck, differences where in engine and tranny. so thats how it got a toyota tranny IMO they call it the km148 or a44d depending on where you look on and aw372. it was insane looking up info and parts for it :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. Aug 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    Obsidian8

Obsidian8 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Somerville, MA
    Vehicle:
    1987 D50
    [​IMG]Ok so I got the tranny back together and it goes through revers, 1st and 2nd. Havent been able to test 3rd and OD since the tranny stops working after driving it for 5-10mins or if I shift though all the gears within 3mins or so. So Im guessing I may have not placed the retainer in the right slot of the throttle valve in the upper front part of the valve body maybe? I found your pics on flickr but I wasnt able to see the retainer...do u happen to still have that pic? Thanks bud!
    Retainer I speak of figured I send a link to all the pics...I wish I would of taken more damn pics...lesson learned.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  4. Jan 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    ToxicGumbo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Those are great pics! Brings back memories. Apologies, though--I completely missed this post.

Any chance that things worked out? It looks like you went back over things and discovered that the retainer was in the wrong spot.

-Jeff

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  5. Jan 14, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    Obsidian8

Obsidian8 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Somerville, MA
    Vehicle:
    1987 D50
    Ya it was in the wrong spot lol I found an actual diagram that showed where it actually went. Truck works fine now, but I believe the OD isnt working and is stuck on 'on' which works for me. I'll have to take another look at the valve body again in the spring when it warms up some.

6. Jan 17, 2014 at 6:13 AM
    ToxicGumbo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Awesome job! Now I'm even more determined to rip my old trans apart and find out what went wrong. Glad it was fairly simple in the end.

-Jeff

Products Discussed in

To Top