1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen. 3.4 V6 Transmission drain n fill fluid capacity

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Roadeater, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Feb 17, 2018 at 4:36 AM
    vettehigh

vettehigh Tacoma Tank

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Upstate, NY
    Changed it last night along with tranny drop and it took 6 quarts total. Spent 45 minutes meticulously cleaning the pan too

2. Aug 8, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    detrio007

detrio007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brando
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Sold my 2002 Green Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    Headlight wiring harness upgrade for 100W halogen bulbs. UltraGauge MX1.4. KO2 tires, Green Fan Clutch, X2 AGM Starter battery.
    I see that this thread is a bit dated. I discovered that my 2002 Tacoma 4x4 Doublecab that I bought used with 100k miles never had the transmission filter changed, but the former owner did have a regular drain and fill transmission fluid service change at the local Toyota dealer. My Tacoma now has 165k on it and overdue for a transmission filter and transmission fluid change. I am thinking of using conventional Valvoline DEX/MERC automatic transmission fluid as my transmission has Toyota's ATF Dex 3 in it.

What transmission fluid are you guys using for your First Gen Tacomas?

By the way, I did call my call three Toyota dealers service departments in my area of Southern California for prices on a basic transmmission drain and fill price quotes ranged from $199 to $330 plus tax. To drop the transmission pan, clean and reinstall pan, install a new Toyota transmission filter, and refill with transmission fluid price quotes ranged from $590 to $600 plus tax.

3. Aug 8, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    buy a cheap drain pan, some fluid, and a kit from online for about $20 and maybe a 6-pack if that's your thing :)

then turn in the used fluid to your auto parts store.

4. Aug 8, 2020 at 5:40 PM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic ATF. Best bang for your buck.

5. Aug 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    I get a 4-pack or 6-pack (depending on the price) of Toyota T-IV fluid since that is what is called out on my dipstick. Normally costs about $7/quart. I have never changed the filter because I believe it is a fairly coarse screen. If it was a fine filter, I would probably change it. Every year I do a drain and fill (4 quarts out and in). That keeps the fluid looking good and there is never a big change in fluid consistency.

bvinh likes this.
  6. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    mistafier

mistafier Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1999 Prerunner XCab TRD 3.4
    Hi! Reviving this to get a little info about a simple drain and fill. I’m new here, and my truck is also new to me, so I’m not sure what type of service has been done on the tranny/fluid.
    It currently has TOO MUCH atf in it, so I thought I would just do a simple drain and refill to get some of the old fluid out as well as get the level adjusted correctly. The fluid is not bright pink but not dark either, just a pinkish/light brown.
    My question is this - what do I need for a simple drain/refill, other than ATF?? Do I need a new plug or washers or anything?
    Thanks!

7. Oct 26, 2020 at 9:20 AM
    drr

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    First off, just to make sure, are you checking the level with the engine running, trans fully warmed up? If you have a scangauge or torque app, trans temp should be at least 150-175F. Also shift it through all the gears right before you check, otherwise the level will read high on the dipstick.

If the fluid is at all brown, it hasn’t been changed in a while (hydraulic oil absorbs water out of the air, which makes it eventually turn brown - not what you want running through your trans). I reuse the washer on the drain bolt, it’s never leaked. If yours weeps fluid, it might be worth replacing. Otherwise, all you need is 5 quarts of ATF - recommend Valvoline Maxlife.

You might need to do a couple drain and fills to replace enough fluid to get that old stuff out, a couple weeks apart.

mistafier[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 26, 2020 at 9:37 AM
    Takomasak

Takomasak Active Member

Member:
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab SR5 w/ OffRoad Package, 3.4L
    TRD Supercharger, 3" Front, 2" Rear, Camper shell
    I just did mine last week and I drained and filled exactly 4 quarts (1 gallon) jug.

mistafier likes this.
  9. Oct 26, 2020 at 3:18 PM
    mistafier

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so I initially check the ATF with the engine cold. That's when I saw that it seemed WAY to full - the dipstick with engine cold showed the level above both the cold AND the hot marks.
    I checked it again just now, after driving about 80 miles and also running through the gears just before checking the stick again. This time it read just below the HOT mark. For some reason, that is confusing to me. Then again, I don't know a thing about transmissions. Would love help understanding that...

In any case, I'll do the drain and fill with 4+ quarts bc when I dabbed a little fresh ATF on the paper towel against the old fluid spot from when i checked the ATF, it seems like enough color difference for me to change it out, especially since I don't know the last time it was drained/filled. (Pic included)

Also, thanks for the info on the bolt/washer. I will try to reuse. Is that washer and bolt best to get OEM from local dealer, in the event I do need to replace them, or is there any other place that might have it?

IMG_2124.jpg

10. Oct 26, 2020 at 3:27 PM
    drr

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    The "cold" mark on a transmission dipstick is just used by the factory to make sure they have enough fluid in it so the torque converter isn't damaged when they pull it onto the car trailer - it's not to be used for checking the service level of the fluid. Only use the "hot" markings, when the trans is fully warmed up and shifted through all the gears. Sounds like yours might be a little low, although to be honest there are so many valves and solenoids in the transmission that might be full or not depending on temp, how long it's been running, etc, it's almost impossible to get the same reading one day after the other.

Definitely looks like yours is in need of a couple drain and fills, that color isn't awful but it's obviously not fresh. I would just get the bolt and washer from a dealer, if there's one near you. Otherwise you can probably order it from Rock Auto or Amazon or similar.

mistafier[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 26, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    mistafier

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Awesome. Super awesome info. I'm glad to understand that better. I've learned more in 2 months as the owner of an old Tacoma than i have in all my life, lol.

Thanks a bunch!! Dealer is close, so I'll order and grab those parts and do a couple drain/fills, spaced out.

drr[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 30, 2020 at 10:02 PM
    TacoCatAZ

TacoCatAZ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Archi
    Vehicle:
    2001 Black Tacoma PreRunner
    Learned 1st hand today that the “cold” mark on the transmission dipstick is “worthless”. This older Tacoma is my first auto transmission vehicle without a “sealed” transmission in ages. All my other cars are BMWs with no dipstick. The Autos I take to my mechanic to get serviced because they are so complex and finicky, the manuals are easy to service but unless they leak, there really is no need to worry about checking the oil levels, just drain and refill every few years. Anyways, just got this Tacoma about a month ago. The previous owner seemed to have kept up with maintenance pretty well. I checked the tranny fluid cold initially just to get a quick picture. Seemed fine. Now I am planning to do a full service including dropping the pan and replacing the strainer. I got all the original Toyota parts and fluid, just waiting to for the proper gasket maker. Ordered the black one for oil pans by mistake, not the red one for the transmission pan. Drive the truck today to work and checked the fluid “hot” to make sure when I drain and measure the old fluid all is correct. Well, the hot fluid just barely made it to the low cold mark! Freaked out for several seconds, rechecked a few times, drove to the nearest auto parts store, got a quart of their correct house brand and slowly filled and measured till it reached the hot midpoint. Now all this time the truck has shifted fine, showed no codes, and no leaks the couple of times I hung out under it. Rechecked on my way home after it was properly warmed up and the fluid was still in the mid hot range. Definitely planning on giving it a “full treatment” once the correct gasket maker gets here next week.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  13. Nov 6, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    mistafier

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    So, I just pulled the drain plug about 10 min ago, and all the fluid has come out. It’s just under 2 quarts according to my drain bucket. Note: I did not drop the pan, just pulled the plug. It seems like this is closer to the amount listed in the FSM, of 1.7 quarts, yet I thought folks were saying that the simple drain/fill without pan drip was closer to 4 quarts or so.
    Now I’m confused. Help! Someone please confirm for me that 1.7 is normal for simple drain/fill, or help me understand if I’m missing something or if there is a bigger issue here. Otherwise, I’m just gonna put the 1.7 quarts back in, check the dipstick while cold to make sure it is at least to top of COLD, then drive it a bit and get up to proper temp, then check HOT.
    Lemme know, guys! Thanks

14. Nov 6, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    I don't know if the transmission in the pre-2001 models are any different, but I have done a drain and fill on my truck (2003, 3.4L, auto) four times. This is just removing the drain bolt. Every time it took 4 quarts to fill back up to the proper level. The first time I did it, I drained the contents into a gallon milk jug and it was right up near the top and confirmed 4 quarts. Not sure why you are getting less than 2 quarts out. Maybe someone else will know a reason.
    I assume your truck is fairly level and not nose down?

mistafier likes this.
  15. Nov 6, 2020 at 11:24 AM
    TWJLee

TWJLee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 2.7 5spd access cab 2020 Tundra DC LmTD 2020 F150 5.0
    2020 Tundra GFC 33’s Borla Pro XS FOX 2.0 2020 F150 33’s Magnaflow FOX 2.0 2001 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5spd access cab new frame 217k 2” lifted Always for sale.
    My 2003 & 2004 3.4 v6 Auto have all taken right about 4 quarts when draining/ refill by plug.

the earliers may or may not be the same as 01-04.

If the transmission has been shifting fine, just replace what you took out. Then for the next several days, just continue to check the dipstick level and adjust (add) if needed. After a few weeks do another drain n fill to slowly replace all fluid. Fluid is 14$ for a gallon

mistafier likes this.
  16. Nov 6, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    drr

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    Maybe the prerunner has a smaller transmission oil pan than the 4x4? I'm not sure, but as others have said I would just replace what you took out, drive it around and then check it to make sure it's properly filled.

17. Nov 6, 2020 at 12:23 PM
    mistafier

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    That’s definitely possible. Ok sounds good. Thanks for the reply. I’ll stick to that plan

18. Nov 6, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    mistafier

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    yeah, it seems weird, but I’ll just put 2 back in and and keep checking the dipstick after every drive. Then, I’ll drain and fill again in another 200 miles or so.
    Maybe in the meantime someone with a prerunner 98-00 will chime in with their relevant experience (although i know most folks on here have 4wds).

Thanks for the replies. Damn that’s nice to be a part of TW and have folks looking out for each other!

19. Nov 6, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    mistafier

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    yep, fairly level driveway I’m working on with the truck. Slightly nose up if anything (4 degrees by my official estimate :)), but basically level.

moving on and learning as I go... next up is engine tuneup (gaskets, plugs and all that jazz).

Products Discussed in

To Top