1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen Airbag Light Intermittent Operation

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Glynn863, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Sep 15, 2016 at 12:12 PM
    Glynn863

Glynn863 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Alabama
    I posted this in the 1st gen forum a few weeks ago, but didn't really get any solid solutions:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/airbag-light-on-airbag-light-off-airbag-light-on.444966/

I only have a drivers' side airbag. After working on the drivers' side buckle, I thought it might have cleared up. However, the airbag light still comes on bright or dim, no particular pattern, with the seat belt fastened or not. Sometimes it comes on and then fades away. My horn and cruise control work fine, so I don't think it's a clockspring issue. All other electrical components work normally. The only wiring going to the seat is for the buckle.

Could it be just age for the controller? There is a label on the sun visor that says to have the SRS inspected after 10 years, and then every 2 years afterwards. The way this thing acts, I think maybe a short or bad connection somewhere, but I haven't found any so far.

Posting here for folks who don't frequent 1st Gen forum. Thanks in advance.

2. Sep 16, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    Glynn863

Glynn863 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Alabama
    Might be clockspring after all. Light was on dim today. I had to lay on the horn because of a jerk log truck driver crossing in front of me on the main highway. After that, no more light and it stayed off the rest of the day. I'll check it again tomorrow.

3. Jan 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    BrotherJohnny14

BrotherJohnny14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma extended cab SR5
    I had to have my horn fixed a few years ago I think some wiring got messed up and around the same time my airbag light started coming on and off sometimes dim. It’s been like this for about 3 years and I’m about to have my dash taken out to replace my heater core so I’m wondering if I should replace clockspring also

4. Jan 5, 2021 at 6:09 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    If it does it only when you turn the steering wheel that's a good possibility, would be a better idea to see what code you have first as shown below.
    [​IMG]

5. Jan 6, 2021 at 6:32 AM
    BrotherJohnny14

BrotherJohnny14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma extended cab SR5
    I’ve never payed attention to weather it does it related to steering wheel I just know when I first turn truck on sometimes it comes on and then while driving it will come on and then dim out. It never stays on so would it pull a code without the light on?

6. Jan 6, 2021 at 6:36 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Do you have the ability to pull the ECU and send it in?

$50 and they will reset your air bag computer.

I use:my airbags.com

Products Discussed in

To Top