1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen and Rear King Shock questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Taco Addiction, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Sep 24, 2017 at 6:47 AM
    Taco Addiction

Taco Addiction [OP] We found Jimmy

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black TRD Offroad
    Kings, SCS Wheels and other mall crawling crap
    I have a 2004 Tacoma TRD with King coil overs up front. Love them. Adding in TC UCAs shortly.

There seems to be a couple options for rear Kings for the 04 Tacoma. Currently I have Bilstein rears and want to swap out for Kings but want to understand my options: King Rears with resi, Piggyback style or Smoothie emulsion.

I currently have an ICON AAL giving me approx. 2" lift in the rear. I see some disclaimers around 0-1" lift for some shocks and my research has been a bit thin in this area; my eyes are starting cross like they did for my front Kings. lol.

1. Can I run just the emulsion rear shocks on my 04 Tacoma with a 2" lift? Are these meant to be run by themselves or custom set up? Would rather keep this simple if possible.

2. Piggyback: will these fit a 2" lifted Tacoma without shock relocation? Any advantages vs. running the separate resi?

3. Resi: will these fit a 2" lifted Tacoma without shock relocation?

4. Any other guidance or feedback is welcome.

upload_2017-9-24_8-39-31.jpgupload_2017-9-24_8-37-57.jpg
    upload_2017-9-24_8-41-59.jpg

upload_2017-9-24_8-37-2.jpg
    upload_2017-9-24_8-39-31.jpg

2. Oct 7, 2017 at 6:41 AM
    Nevadaface

Nevadaface Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    Watch out for the 3 different variations of the same SKU for the rears with reservoirs. I bought mine through Wheeler's and it looks different than the stock photo. The shop I had installing it said the ones provided don't bolt right in without a shock relocation kit. Top photo is what's on Kings website, second photo on the left was the stock photo i looked at, and second photo on the right is what I got (and what comes up if you look up the SKU).

King.jpg Wheelers.jpg

3. Oct 7, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    Taco Addiction

Taco Addiction [OP] We found Jimmy

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black TRD Offroad
    Kings, SCS Wheels and other mall crawling crap
    Thanks TJ. After a bunch or research, I am finding that out pretty quick too, appreciate your note confirming same.

I ordered smoothies through Summit and they are 3 months out...ridiculous.

I gave up and ordered Fox performance shocks through Headstrong as they are progressive-valved like my Kings up front. Not interested in relocating shock mounts.

Products Discussed in

To Top