1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen Brake Booster Failure - Rebuild No Good?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jarondenson, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Oct 19, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    jarondenson

jarondenson [OP] Member

Member:
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma LTD 4x4 TRD S/C
    TRD SuperCharger 1st Gen w/ dynamic tensioner, TRD Headers, AEM Brute Force Intake, King Coil Over Front, add a leaf and Billstiens in the Rear
    Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 tacoma 3.4L ABS 4WD. I noticed that the truck was making a hissing noise in the cab and verified that the brake booster was leaking by doing the brake pedal check once the truck was turned off. I took it off and had it rebuilt. I just received it back and put a mighty vac on it to verify that it holds vacuum and it does not. It is sucking air where the master cylinder plugs into the vacuum booster. This to me does not sound right as I was pretty sure that they are supposed to be sealed units. However there is a paper gasket that goes between the master and the booster. But if you look carefully there is a relief cut on the underside of the master and also on the booster where it receives the master. So I am pretty sure that the seal is not supposed to seal the vacuum. Any thoughts on this subject would be great before I put this thing back in.

2. Nov 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    NMBIII

NMBIII Member

Member:
    Bay Area - California
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    I think I have the same issue. How did you confirm that the booster was leaking?

3. Nov 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    chasebrooks14

chasebrooks14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Acura TSX (RIP LaToya)
    Mickey Thompson Classic iii, Green LED interior floor lights, After market Kenwood touch screen radio, 20% window tint, Blacked out bumpers and grill, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer door speakers, bed lined toolbox, LED tailgate light bar w/ reverse lights, Bilstein 5100 all 4 corners and top setting up front, Trd Coils, New 1.5" lift leaf pack and shackles, White gages with blue needles. 32x11.5 Cooper STTs, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers
    my brake booster is just shit. its like I don't have power brakes. ive gotten a good bit of confirmation on here that the diaphragm in the booster was ruptured. so im just gonna buy another one

Products Discussed in

To Top