1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen needs suspension upgrades ASAP

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MTgirl, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Aug 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Thats how mine looked. You might get away with an AAL but The new leaf pack is the way to go IMO.

2. Aug 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl [OP] too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I was just learning to accept it and go through life with a squeaky rear when Rooty dropped by...and broke my Taco...don't know what happened...I'm still traumatized. He wanted a demonstration of the infamous 'Taco squeak' and jumped up on the bumper a few times, damn near maxing out the travel on the shocks. It's been 10x's louder since. Now I blame him for the issue. Rooty, Rhys and SupraT can attest to the horrible noises coming from the truck now.

So yes, it still squeaks...tried cleaning them, several times, tried all varieties of lube...nothing has worked.

3. Aug 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    That picture is with my shell on too. I know a new leaf pack is best, but the college student budget is telling me AAL :D

4. Aug 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Ditto - AAL will only buy you some time, not really fix the issue(s). You'd be better off investing in a new pack.

5. Aug 30, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    if you have to go w/ an AAL get a 3 lead add pack... wheelers and deaver have them

6. Aug 30, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    gofas

gofas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Ukiah
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Timberland Mica Access
    ImMrYo review mirror bracket.
    I recently installed the wheelers 5 pack on my truck with camper. these springs are stout. today I ended up with a haul consisting of 4 5 gallon water bottles full along with a 7pounds of propane my dirty clothes and the springs did not budge. way better power to the wheels. nice and taught rear end my Tacoma has now. Let's go bark a tire 2nd now. o,, and mine are not squeaking. I had a large tube of anti-seize so i used that and I packed it in the grooves of the bushings that wheelers sent with the springs.

7. Aug 31, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    MT, I really don't know why your springs squeak so bad. Bad luck? heh.. I'd like to help but I haven't really had a problem myself. Only had it squeak once or twice when they first went in, then the bushings must've settled and now it's been pretty quiet.

8. Aug 31, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Yeah, I just have minor squeaking now again, but I haven't been offroading. If I am loading/unloading stuff or sit on the tailgate, they will sometimes squawk a little, which surprised me, and I can hear it a little on speed bumps sometimes if I have the windows down. It is not the bushings. My gut feeling is that after a few thousand miles of settling in and wearing the paint off the leafs where the plastic pads contact them (and the plastic pads wearing in), it would get quieter.

Maybe she just needs to lose some weight :crapstorm:

9. Aug 31, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all... :p

and if there is a break in period I should be way past that....5,000 miles and counting since the install...ooh. that reminds me, need to get the tires rotated this week...

yep, just luck. I can't believe out of all of us in the GB that I'm the only one having issues.

It got so bad on Saturday I had to stop in the middle of the trail and break out the lube...my usual means of drowning out the noise were not an option...ipod was dead, no radio signals could be tuned in and I was forced to listen to the horrid noises for over an hour. I couldn't take it!

10. Aug 31, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    that is strange, mine make a tiny bit of noise if I jump on the rear bumper but they're actually quieter than my stockers were (those would squeak a little bit just getting in the truck). I have taken it offroad a few times too (quite a bit of mud and lots of sand) and have about 2k miles on them now.

11. Aug 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    my old springs didn't make a sound, ever. I've done plenty of driving on every surface imaginable and the springs have been covered in all varieties of dirt, mud, crap (horse, cow, sheep), had a few weeds wedged in there, through a creek, got some algae stuck in there...I think its louder when they're clean, the more stuff plastered on the springs the quieter my truck is.

12. Sep 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    Hmm.. bury it in the mud and see if that stops the squeaking? :D

Strange.. very strange. I've probably got the most mileage out of most of us from the GB.. think I've put about 13,000 on the springs since they went on. Every once in a while I'll hear a minor squawk if I really beat the hell out of 'em. Other than that.. quiet.

Products Discussed in

To Top