1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen. Roll Pan

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Chriskn1690, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    I've searched the site and haven't seen anything about roll pans on the Tacomas. Any of you guys/gals have roll pans? Are they easy to install? are they worth it? When I bought my truck a year ago the rear bumper had a few rust spots, but now it has large patches of rust and it looks ugly. I've sanded it dow and painted it and stuff like that, but it just keeps rusting through. I was thinking about buying a new bumper, but I do like the look of the roll pans as well. Don't really need the rear step to get into the bed. Hope I'm not doing a repost, but I couldn't find anything on roll pans.

2. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    You're better off with Google than TW for rollpans. Not most people's cup of tea here.

Here

3. Aug 26, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Thanks man, I know people don't really like em on here but was wondering if anyone by chance did have one or try one. I don't do any wheeling in mine, nor is it a street truck. I just do regular daily driving and put it to work hauling stuff here and there as well as doing odd jobs. The rusty bumper is just a real eyesore, and I think the roll pans are pretty sleek looking.

I also have no way to weld it on so I do need to find one that is bolt on if I do it.

4. Aug 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    CUtigerfan

CUtigerfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Base
    Daystar 1.5" coil spacers, bedlined bumpers, clear corners, aftermarket stereo, 20% tint, half debadged
    I would rock a roll pan because I agree it looks clean IMO but I've backed into a tree and been rear ended in the last year or so and the damage would've been 10 times worse if I had a roll pan instead of a bumper.

I wonder if someone who rear ended you could make the argument that the damage wouldn't have been as severe if you had a bumper and try to get out of paying for it. Is it illegal to run without a bumper?

5. Aug 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    I'm not sure, I see a lot of people around my area that have roll pans on S-10s and crappy trucks like that. It might not be legal, and the damage would be worse. You have made a good point. Maybe I will just find another bumper to throw on there. My Front bumper is chrome so I think I want to keep the rear chrome or the same color as the truck, not black.

Hmm. . . . Got thinking to do now.

6. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    CHPTR11

CHPTR11 Team Impulse Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Tacoma
    OME, Hankook, ARB, SCS
    Had a roll pan on my old Silverado that was bagged and shaved. Got rear ended by my buddy that was going maybe 5 mph, did nearly $2000 in damage. I will never again run a roll pan on anything, they look cool but offer zero protection.

7. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    take some brass-o to your bumper and be on your way :D

8. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Yeah, more I think about it I'm not going to put one on. . . I'm in a debate on whether I want to keep the Tacoma or get a newer '06-'08 4Runner. Really torn lol. I think I'm just going to do some sanding and paint again. Talked to a budy who had the same problem on his Frontier and he sanded it down real good, put a layer of bondo on the spots he sanded, sanded that smooth, then painted; said its been over a year and it looks good might do that.

Konaborne, I should have also mentioned I've taken a razor, a scaper, a wire brush, and sandpaper to the spots. Still shows through. I think it is from a towing ball the previous owner had in the bumper rather than a hitch and he hit the bumper on both sides of the ball. Might do what I just stated above, it seemed to work pretty good on my friends Frontier.

Products Discussed in

To Top