1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st. Gen Tacoma Buyers Guide

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ERG80, May 14, 2011.

1. Jan 5, 2019 at 6:11 PM
    TNToyo79

TNToyo79 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2004' Xtra-Cab 2.7L 4X4 : 2016' 4 Runner : 2006 Scion TC
    Hello,

This is not my first post, just my first post under this new account. I was here back in 2009-2010 when I owned a different Gen 1 (2000). Can't remember the username and I apparently abandoned the associated e-mail...so here I am. With that said, I wanted to add this bit of information I have been learning over the last week after purchasing a "new" 2004 Gen 1.

I found and purchased a 2004 with 72K original miles on Jan 3rd, 2019, truck was garage kept and is pristine in every way with the exception of perforated rust holes in front of the rear shackles and the tail ends of the frame (where you would mount a class 3 hitch) are almost gone.

I had the frame of my first Gen 1 treated with the CPC compound when the warranty extension came out, so when I was "investigating" the frame of this truck at the dealer I knew to check that the coating had already been applied, which it had. Also, the VIN history showed it had been applied in 2010.

I only discovered the rust problem after the purchase, when the bumper was removed to install the class 3 hitch. My blood ran cold and I knew I was in for trouble. Literally sick to my stomach, I took the truck to the same dealer that did my 2000's frame treatment almost 10 years ago to see if this "new" truck was eligible for any kind of warranty and this is the verdict; AS IT APPLIES TO THE 2004 YEAR MODEL TACOMA:

The 2004 Tacos ARE still covered under the extended warranty program IF they are within the 15 year period which began at the date of first use (located in your VIN history). Turns out this truck was first used in June of 2004. I'm lucky to say the very least.

I did find the criteria here in the forum which outlines inspection techniques as well as qualifying factors for complete frame replacement. All of which this truck meets and or exceeds: Cold weather state recognized in the bulletin, prior CPC treatment performed by an authorized Toyota dealer, perforation holes greater than 10 mm in diameter. The truck will be officially inspected on Monday Jan 7th to determine if they will honor the replacement. My fingers are crossed.

This forum has always been the holy grail of Taco information. I'm glad it exists and look forward to learning and sharing more info soon.

~ Josh

Pervy and TacomaJunkie8691 like this.
  2. Jan 7, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    TNToyo79

TNToyo79 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2004' Xtra-Cab 2.7L 4X4 : 2016' 4 Runner : 2006 Scion TC
    Failed inspection today. I got lucky and a new frame is on order.

Pervy and firstgentacotuesday like this.
  3. Jan 9, 2019 at 9:03 AM
    firstgentacotuesday

firstgentacotuesday Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Superrrwhite‘01 DC 3.4 4x4
    good for u man thats my dreeaam lol

TNToyo79 likes this.

Products Discussed in