1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen Tacoma STS Turbo

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by clo, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Jun 9, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    ok guys a buddy is selling me his sts turbo from his 1st Gen Tacoma. my question is will it bolt on to my x-runner or will there have to be any fab work done. has anyone done this before plz help

thanks for the feedback :D

2. Jun 10, 2014 at 6:05 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Search for Torsp's build thread, he started with an STS turbo kit.....

3. Jun 10, 2014 at 6:13 AM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok ill check it out thanks

4. Jun 10, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    There were a couple of members on www.xr-underground.com whom had XR's and that kit. I'm not exactly sure what small changes that they had to do to make it work, versus what I had to do. Either way, the kits that they had were for the PreRunner/4x4 models.

5. Jun 10, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah its off a prerunner 3.5L it looks similar to the 4.0L turbo kit from sts. for $1,600.00 its a steal I think of just getting it

6. Jun 12, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Did you get it?

7. Jun 12, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    Not yet why?

8. Jun 12, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
  9. Jun 12, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah I have I judt don't like that everyone is all hung up on urd parts and are anti nos lol..... but I'll check it out from time to tike to see whats new lol

10. Jun 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Ahh yes. There is that. Lol.

11. Jun 12, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah thats my pet peeve about that ... dont get me wrong everyone is really nice and helpful but just the fact that urd is the only thing around kind of sucks

12. Jun 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    If I can offer my best advice about that kit, I recommend against it. Unless you are a fabricator or work at a performance shop, and have good access to the tools and materials needed to adapt that kit to your truck.

If you are dead set on doing it, I can tell you what needs to be done. Be prepared to spend some monetary to get it Right though.

13. Jun 12, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    We I work at a steel fabrication shop I can get alot of stuff fab thats not a problem but what other parts am I looking for

14. Jun 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Stainless steel flex coupling (turbo lined), so the exhaust can flex. Flange to bolt up to your Y-pipe, if not a vband flange. If his tubing is rusted, changing it out to at least 304 stainless, on the exhaust side. They like to have mild steel on the intake side too, so there is potential for rust to be in those tubes as well. Which would be best upgraded to aluminum.

Vacuum lines, and possibly new hose for the oil feed and drain.

Material to make a snorkel for the turbo inlet. Hydro locking creates a long spiralling build......

Injectors, and fuel pump. EMS to tune it in properly. That basically sums it it.

15. Jun 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok i was going to get the turbo rebuilt just for cheap insurance .... ems what do u recommend I was going to go with AEM I dont want that ucon shit it seem like it was too many bugs

16. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    AEM will work nicely. If you only plan of the FIC version, get the nicer of the two. www.Dezod.com has them, as well as plug n play harnesses.

17. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah I seen it before .... I'm start by getting the turbo kit off my homie boys hands ... then I'll go from there

18. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    What do u think of the water methanol kit ...... I have a snow performance kit I been waiting to use

19. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Me personally, I would use it for the cooling. Not to get extra power by adding in extra timing. Just me being extra cautious. It could likely be tuned with the AEM as well.

20. Jun 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM
    clo

clo [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah that was my thought vs the 7th injector from urd

Products Discussed in

To Top