1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen Tacoma: Suggestion of components.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MCObray, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jan 29, 2017 at 8:35 PM
    MCObray

MCObray [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD
    I'm nearing the point that my stock suspension is starting to show its age and also needs to be refreshed to better suit my needs.

I am wanting to retain my LT235/85/16 tires, as they are fairly new. My initial thoughts were to utilize OME / Bilstein components, as I have had always had / heard good experience with 'em. The more I think now, the more I am starting to lean towards utilizing Icon or King product in the front for future adjustability when I add a bumper / winch. Are aftermarket UCAs necessary for this height? Diff drop?

The rear, I am only wanting 1" - 1.5" maximum. Fully loaded, I carry two bed rails that support a CVT RTT + camping gear.

The three options I have attached below range from tier 1 ($), tier 2 ($$), tier 3 ($$$). Let's hear it!

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 8.25.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 8.32.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 8.29.02 PM.jpg

2. Jan 29, 2017 at 10:32 PM
    757yotas

757yotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    ICI Magnum front bumer Rigid LED lighting OME lift 285/70 Nitto Exos 17" Fuel Hostage TRD Exhaust TonnauPro Cover Oil Catch Can Tint Pioneer Nav system Sound System LED lighting Euro headlights Paint
    One or two, depends on what the truck is going to be used for also the show off to your friends factor lol

MCObray[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 29, 2017 at 10:50 PM
    Captain Magma

Captain Magma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 4wd DblCab
    Kings and desert pinstripes
    1 or 2

One would be the best bang for the buck. Two would be a fantastic setup as well, but you would also score the highly coveted cool points for running Kings. If you add in rear resi Kings as well your talking some serious capabilities /cool points

Any lift above 2.5-3" I would replace the uca's. I would honestly just swap them out though if you have the money to do so and are already replacing everything else

Diff Drop is debated, and since I have a Prerunner I don't have any first hand experience with it. As far as I know it won't hurt anything so might as well do it for piece of mind.

Also, if you're not planning on doing some serious offroading, check out the Light Racing UCAs, they offer alot of adjustment for alignment and are booted which can help with salty roads

MCObray[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 29, 2017 at 11:41 PM
    MCObray

MCObray [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD
    Ha! Cool factor does play a minimal factor, thats for sure, but unfortunately my close friends are not on par with the ooo's and ahhh's of suspension components.

I definitely recognize #1 being the best bang for the buck, and it has me thinking... but I am leaning, up front at least, towards adjustable coilovers as I see myself ending up with perhaps not having the necessary funds to do the bumper + winch at the same time. I rather just do it once, do it right... cry once, buy once.

I would run the COs on anywhere from 0" - 1.5" so I may just avoid the UCAs all together for the time being. Compression Adjuster Knob seems cool, but I'd think I would save the extra $300 and do without.

I have the idea that Icon is the pinnacle of suspension, yet lots of peeps seem to love their Kings / Fox / etc. Everybody seems to make a relatively good product... Wish the OME BP51 were available for the 1st Gen Tacoma.

5. Feb 4, 2017 at 12:33 AM
    jomandini

jomandini Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jordan
    Vehicle:
    4runner getting dana 60 treatment
    a whole lot
    height adjustable bilsteins are gonna cut it, with bumper and winch just take them back out at the time and move them a notch. and the diff drop is well worth it. helps preserve the life of the cv shafts. and its only 20 bucks right, not hard to install

MCObray[OP] likes this.
  6. Feb 4, 2017 at 12:38 AM
    snowboard704

snowboard704 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    03' 4x4 Tacoma
    Check Build thread
    Do your research on the diff drop... there's some pros an cons.

Either tier 1 or 2.

I've ran bilsteins and kings and although one does ride better, for the money the adjustable biksteins aren't bad at all

MCObray[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top