1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen Topper Rebuild and Internal Frame

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by nzbrock, Nov 15, 2020.

1. May 20, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    Yep, I’m considering on selling the house and going full time in the truck while I’m not on the ship. Gonna have to start coming up with a plan for building out my camper shell... Looks great!

nzbrock[OP] likes this.
  2. Jul 11, 2021 at 3:10 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Finally did the rear lower brackets. I plan on using the hole in these to tie to the bed stiffeners with some turnbuckles. I just have to figure out the right size.

these thread into the tapped ends of the side rail. I also 3D printed a spacer which you can’t see.
    5112642E-3151-4918-A034-E3D416A5C26D.jpg

N64_Wallmaster and SwampYota like this.
  3. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Also finished wiring in the power windoor locks. I still have to figure out the rear hatch lock, but I can now unlock the side windows and tailgate with my fob. There are way easier ways to do this, but I didn’t want to have to unlock them after each time I closed them. I also wanted to make it seem as if the handles are locked so someone wouldn’t just turn them and release the tension on the latches.

https://youtu.be/2n4xSMi9DrM

N64_Wallmaster and beignet like this.
  4. Oct 29, 2021 at 7:31 AM
    frenchee

frenchee Favorite Member

Member:
    Oceanside CA Area
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD Double Cab 4x4
    Converted to 4WD DD VW MK6 TDI
    How did you install that rail on the first gen bed?

5. Oct 29, 2021 at 3:31 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    Are you talking about the l-track? It’s just bolted through the lip on the inside of the bed.

6. Jun 2, 2022 at 3:41 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    Finally connected the bed stiffeners to the internal topper frame. I am hoping that this will keep the topper sides from spreading apart at the tailgate. I had to piece together some custom turnbuckles since most complete sets were too long.
    126051D0-085A-4D42-83F8-4EBB1E19A197.jpg

7. Nov 29, 2022 at 3:16 PM
    WhiskeyHole

WhiskeyHole Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2013 PyriteMica
    Mostly stock
    Dig it! Just stopping in to say thanks for posting this. I started dreaming up something for my 2nd gen like what you did and glad to see a precedent.
    Is this pretty much all 1"x2" extrusion? Looks like plenty of open space.

8. Nov 30, 2022 at 7:01 AM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    Yes everything is 1"x2" except for the front lower rail. This was because there was already a 1"x1" piece of aluminum imbedded in the topper.
    I decided on 1"x2" instead of 1.5" because I could fit it inside of the side rails very easily. 1.5" would be slightly too wide.

9. Jan 19, 2023 at 11:09 AM
    kasberry

kasberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD Off-Road
    I just put Front Runner tracks on my Leer 100XR and plan to move my RTT on the shell.

I looked at the Milford LoadMax and agree they take up too much useable space of an already small truck bed.

I'd LOVE to do something like this for my 3rd Gen. Your thread is the only one I can find of someone actually reinforcing their camper shell.

10. Jan 19, 2023 at 12:45 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    It would be much easier to just cut and weld steel or aluminum pieces. I had to make it hard on my self with aluminum extrusions.

11. Jan 19, 2023 at 1:03 PM
    kasberry

kasberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD Off-Road
    I'm not much of an aluminum welder (or a welder at all for that matter), but I've been contemplating how I'd do an internally supported frame just to take some of the weight off the shell and down into the bed sides. I've installed Total Chaos bed stiffeners which should help with the added load on the bed walls if I ever do.

Your setup is MUCH cleaner than what I could put together. The aluminum extrusion looks great.

12. Jan 22, 2023 at 9:30 PM
    WhiskeyHole

Member:
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2013 PyriteMica
    Mostly stock
    I don't think the extrusions are all that difficult. I can bend and weld but sometimes it's nice to work with something that makes you be limited in the design options.
    Mine got started but I wrecked my truck so it's currently still in mock up phase until insurance and body shop can agree on fix or total the truck. I'm actually further along than these photos, the top frame is done just need it on the truck to set the angle cuts right for the vertical extrusions down to the bed sides.

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4178.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

13. Dec 20, 2023 at 6:30 AM
    N64_Wallmaster

N64_Wallmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 LTD 4WD
    - Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Icon AAL - Old Man Emu 2885 Springs - BFG K02 265/60R18 on 18" OEM Limited Alloys - IFS Skid Plate; Bare Aluminum - Body Armor 4x4 Revo Rock Sliders - Diode Dynamics SS3 Fog Lights w/ Amber Accent Lights - Tacoma Lifestyle Side View Mirror Sequential Turn Signals - Cali Raised LED Bed Channel Supports; added self-adhesive rubber edge trim - AFE Magnum Pro Dry S Filter - LEER 100R Camper Top - Weathertech Window Deflectors - Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions Dash Mount - TRD Pro Grille with Raptor Lights - Headlight H11 to H9 DIY bulb conversion - Diode Dynamics interior and license plate LED bulbs - FBC license plate light DIR - Replaced chrome mirror covers with oe black
    How did you seal the screw holes to prevent leaks, rust, etc.?

14. Dec 20, 2023 at 6:31 AM
    N64_Wallmaster

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 LTD 4WD
    - Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Icon AAL - Old Man Emu 2885 Springs - BFG K02 265/60R18 on 18" OEM Limited Alloys - IFS Skid Plate; Bare Aluminum - Body Armor 4x4 Revo Rock Sliders - Diode Dynamics SS3 Fog Lights w/ Amber Accent Lights - Tacoma Lifestyle Side View Mirror Sequential Turn Signals - Cali Raised LED Bed Channel Supports; added self-adhesive rubber edge trim - AFE Magnum Pro Dry S Filter - LEER 100R Camper Top - Weathertech Window Deflectors - Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions Dash Mount - TRD Pro Grille with Raptor Lights - Headlight H11 to H9 DIY bulb conversion - Diode Dynamics interior and license plate LED bulbs - FBC license plate light DIR - Replaced chrome mirror covers with oe black
    Comprehensive write up on a creative build. Thanks for posting!

15. Dec 20, 2023 at 6:36 AM
    WhiskeyHole

Member:
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2013 PyriteMica
    Mostly stock
    Silicone and rubber washers come with the track kit from Yakima. Pretty typical installation for these tracks. A little silicone around the hole before setting the track down and a plastic or neoprene washer under the screw head works a treat.
    I do finally have the upper frame mounted in mine…been awhile since I’ve had time to work on it but I’ll post some photos soon.

16. Dec 20, 2023 at 6:57 AM
    N64_Wallmaster

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 LTD 4WD
    Nice. Appreciate the response. Looking forward to the pictures.

17. Dec 20, 2023 at 9:55 AM
    betterbuckleup

betterbuckleup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SC 2.7 4x4 5spd
    I've been noticing mine starting to spread at those bottom edges as well. I have the stiffeners on the bed, but there's really no good way to attach to the topper without adding a frame or something like you have.

SwampYota and N64_Wallmaster like this.
To Top