1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen vs 2012 dilemma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ohdrj1all, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    ohdrj1all

ohdrj1all [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 XtraCab 4x4 SR5 2.7L 5spd
    Ok... mostly I hang out in the 2nd Gen forum because I have been waiting on the 2012s to come out (been stalling buying a new Taco since about April trying to see what the new 2012s are gonna look like). Then suddenly quite a few very decent relatively low mileage (under 75k) 1st Gen Tacos show up on the market around me and now I am considering maybe just grabbing one of these at a substantial savings over a new one.

To be honest I have always liked the compact truck "look" of the 1st Gens. The 2nds and their mid-size platform was always a bit of bitter pill for me to swallow. I would have loved to have bought a 2004 Taco back when they were new just as the new 2nd Gens were coming out, but at the time I needed at least a 1/2 ton (ended up with a 3/4 ton) to pull a work trailer I had and the Taco just had to go by the wayside. Now, 6-7 years later I am wishing I'd have bought the Taco (been thru a couple domestic trucks since then and really want the Toyota reliability!).

Anyway, the point of this rambling is that my next truck is going to be a 4x4 Taco one way or the other. I have been planning on buying new because I intend to keep my new truck literally for years (10-15+). Hence why I almost bought a 2011 (and then decided to hold out to see what the 2012s look like).

But now (as I said) I have run across a few late 1st Gens that are tempting me. So my dilemma is (yes there is a point to this rambling)... jump on one of these 1st Gens... OR... continue to wait on the 2012 (and pay new truck pricing). I know that a 1st Gen with say 55k miles on it has TONS of life left in it and would likely last me the 10-15 years I plan on keeping it... but I guess with a plans to own something that long I am just better off starting with a completely new rig?

I know there is now "right" or "wrong" answer here... just looking for folks' subjective opinions/advice.

(BTW, I live in AZ so the frame rust issue really isn't an issue out here.)

Thanks!

2. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    i would go with a first gen :D

3. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    himmy33

himmy33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 edition.
  4. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    i would buy new truck. You might be buying someone else problems. But if you cant afford the 2012 then buy a 1st gen truck.

5. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I phucking hate people >:(

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    Go find a 1st and 2nd gen to test drive. See what you think and are comfortable with. Think abou it for atleast 1 whole minute then get the second gen!

haha seriously though, the first 2 sentences ^^

6. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    YouNext

YouNext General Calamari

Member:
    San Diego
    K&N FIPK, Gibson Exhaust, Doug Thorley Headers, URD pulley, Stoptech Cryo-treated Slotted Rotors, Deaver J59, Bilstein 5150s, Total Chaos LT (w/Spindle & Tower Gussets), Icon LT C/Os.
    With a decision as close as this, what are the smaller things you are looking for? For example...

How much on gas are you willing to shell out? 1st gens, on average, have slightly better mpgs.
    Do you want a double cab? access cab? 2nd gens have a tab bit more space in the back.
    Do you want a double cab with the long bed? 1st gen only have the short bed.
    Do you have 6-speed envy?

Aside from the price, 1st gen ~$12k and 2nd gen ~$18k, the differences are going to be THAT SMALL. Generally with the extra price your paying for more available options? Either one, unless you're bad luck prone, is going to live longer than your grandma.

7. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    One word; ATRAC

8. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    TacoSID138

TacoSID138 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    SoCal the valley
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD
    Tinted tails and 3rd brake light,deck-plate mod, dumped Flow Master 40, 5100/eibachs, 1.5 AP shackles, AP EXPD leafs
    Seconds gens are nice and a bit bigger, but I love my 1st gen. I say if you can find a 1st gen with 70k or less go for it!

9. Aug 3, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    Drouse

Drouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Pittston, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    I just sold my 1st gen with only 27k on it in amazing condition. I always wanted one and found one certified w only 12k on it 2 yrs ago. Went bought it that day. Loved every second of it. Saturday I just picked up a 2011 dcsb trd sport. So far loving it! Its a little bigger and seems to ride better plus I've always liked the looks of them. Either way I think its a win/win as long as you get your hands on a cared for 1st. Good luck with whatever you decide!

10. Aug 3, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    you're right, there is no right or wrong answer. i bought a truck about a year ago, and was in the exacty same boat you're in. i knew the change was coming to the 2012's, so I bought a 1st gen intentionally, knowing i'd eventually get a new one after the change. one of the main reasons i was waiting was because toyota was planning on changing the engine, however it now appears that's being delayed. at the moment, i'm happy with my truck (somewhat - the only issue is it's an access cab which blows compared to a dc imo). so i'll be keeping my 1st gen until I feel like I want a newer truck, and meanwhile saved a lot of money. good luck - ONLY you can decide what is right for you.

11. Aug 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    ohdrj1all

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys.

I guess probably what I will end up doing is waiting on the 2012s & in the meantime just keep an eye out for a low-mile 1st gen that would be worth jumping on. Whichever comes first probably! :)

12. Aug 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    Cvd2312

Cvd2312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma 3.4L
    Bilstein 5100's all the way around, 2" shackles in rear, front diff drop, 32x11.50.15 BFG A/T, 15x8 Ultra 164 Wheels
    That 2012 won't be nearly as cool in 5 years when you still have the $500/month payment.

Get a 1st gen and pay cash.

13. Aug 3, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    1st gen all the way :thumbsup: Look at it this way. You will pay 30k for new and drive it 200k miles. Or you can pay 15k for a truck with 55k miles and you still get to drive it 145k miles. Plus 1st gens are just better :)

14. Aug 3, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Matte Black custom paint
    i'm at 227k and it still runs great, no issues whatsoever. if you've got money to spare, drive a gen 1 for a while and see how it goes. they hold their resale value pretty damn good so you won't lose much money if you keep if for a yr or so. by that time, you will see how the '12 will look like and if it's more appealing come back and post about if you should trade in the gen1 or not, lol:p.

i want to trade mine in for a gen 2 DC.

15. Aug 5, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    ohdrj1all

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well, the silver '03, 55k mile, 4x4, 3.4L/auto access cab I was most interested in got cherry picked by a dealership employee I think. I called up and tried to go look at it, was given the run around and told it wasn't available for sale "yet"... told they would get back to me later that day, then two days later I call back after not hearing squat and it's "no longer available"... not it's been sold... very weird language used throughout the whole process.

Anyway, just a suspicion. Regardless... back on the hunt (which is half the fun, right? :) )

All this though has made me very amenable to the prospect of picking up a nice low-mile 1st gen if I can find one. So we'll see. The 2012 drama is leaning now towards first vehicle deliveries not being until December 1st (because of delayed prod start up of October)... so I will have plenty of time to see if a nice 1st gen falls in my lap before then.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice all!!!

16. Aug 5, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I've owned pre tacos 1st and 2nd gens. Find a super clean low miles 1st gen.quality is better on 1st gens.the extra room is nice on newer tacos

17. Aug 5, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back twin exhaust,elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella550's, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Toyota outdid even themselves with the 1st-gens, and at that time they were stellar. If you can live with owning something that's not new-seeming in the eyes of others, the benefits you reap will kill that notion. I could walk into a dealer and throw cash on a new one if I wanted, and I came sort of close to starting to look at new vehicles recently-but I just cannot see letting this 10 year old gem go-new vehicles just don't impress me enough to justify it. Besides, to me anyway, the '96-'04 group is that certain truck that never becomes obsolete. I say seek out a fine 1st-gen and enjoy it while banking your money:)

18. Aug 5, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner SR5 2wd
    I've never owned a 2nd gen, but I've ALWAYS loved the look of the 1st gen. Looks aside, 1st gen (and older) tacomas are what I would consider to be the AK-47's of the truck world. Oil it, gas it up, and you're good to go for 50 years. I suspect the 2nd gens won't last as long purely because there are so many more things that can go wrong. I might get blasted for that, but there it is.

In short, you definitely won't be disappointed with a 1st gen. They're great trucks. Will you be happier with a 2012? No idea.

19. Aug 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    It sounds like you are making the right choice....Find that 1st gen looker and jump on it! Call me crazy but even before I was even in the arena of vehicle purchasing, I knew I didn't want a truck for a looong time but I still thought the 01-04 4x4 Tacomas were effing gorgeous and now that I own one I think I am drving around in the best looking truck on the road. 2nd gens don't do it for me at all and the 2012, while an improvement still isn't as pretty.

Not to mention reliability and interior quality, and 1st gens are actually COMPACT trucks if that's what you want.

20. Aug 5, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    Gosh you got me thinking about it and I just love love love the interior of my 2001. In fact it's the background of my comp screen. It's so clean and simple. I love the colors used and the white faced gauges. Newer trucks across the board are getting fancy in their interiors, and while that works for some people I don't want it for a truck I get dirty in. 2nd gen Tacoma interiors look neat for a second but the gee whizzery look wears think real quick for me. And with the last freshening of the first gen, you get a pretty modern look with the proven reliability of the first gen platform. Before I got into Tacomas, I though the 01-04s were like 07-08 models. It's a look that will stay relevant and not go out of style.

To Top