1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.4 FSM or timing marks request

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Burnt clutch, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Jul 26, 2022 at 8:36 AM
    Burnt clutch

Burnt clutch [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.4 RWD Taco
    None
    I just replaced the head gasket on my '97 Taco 2.4l and I'm stumped on the TDC marks on the cams vs the mark on the harmonic balancer. It looks like the mark on my balancer is 5 deg. before the "0" timing mark when the cams are at their TDC marks. Does anyone have a scan of the timing marks page of the FSM or a good picture of their harmonic balancer that I can refer to for my work? Thanks in advance!
    -Karl

2. Jul 26, 2022 at 3:57 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
  3. Jul 27, 2022 at 7:52 AM
    Burnt clutch

Burnt clutch [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.4 RWD Taco
    None
    Thanks for the scan, I'll check it out.
    -Karl

4. Jul 29, 2022 at 8:34 AM
    Burnt clutch

Burnt clutch [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.4 RWD Taco
    None
    I looked at my crank pulley again last night and found two marks - one on the inner edge of the pulley and one on the outer. They seem to 30 degrees off from each other. My first thought is why are there two marks, but my second thought - is it possible to install the crank pulley backwards? I know I didn't move the crank when I installed the head and I'm tempted to just put it together the same way I took it apart, but one side of me wants to overthink things. Here are the marks in a big picture view.

Two marks.jpg

Here's my outer mark with my physical TDC of how I took everything apart.

Original mark.jpg

And the big big picture of everything. The camshaft pulley with both timing dots lined op flush with each other on the back of the camshaft gears.
    20220729_070045.jpg

Is it possible to have the wrong crank pulley, or have it on backwards? Thanks in advance for any advice!
    -Karl

5. Jul 30, 2022 at 10:10 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    It looks like something hit the pulley to make that mark on the outside, the correct mark should be the one closest to the timing cover. If it doesnt line up with the true TDC of the engine it could be because the pulley has slipped on the rubber damper.

Products Discussed in

To Top