1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7/4.0 ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by george3, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mar 28, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    george3

george3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Strictly not scientific but clicking on everybody's truck while reading posts, I would say most of us have a 4.0. I have a 2.7. Why did you choose the 4.0 ? Did you ever consider the 2.7 ? I checked the first 8 or 9 pages of posts and didn't find a similar question so. Curious George[​IMG]

2. Mar 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Nope- Never considered the 2.7. I knew I wanted the power...Coming from a V8 Dakota...I knew I would miss that.

3. Mar 28, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Didn't even consider the 2.7L. Have and not need > need and not have. I already have a daily driver for fuel economy, puttering to work, etc.

4. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    sjwrappel

sjwrappel Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Sand Pearl Reg Cab 4x4 manual
    2008 Black Sand Pearl Reg Cab 4x4 manual, 245/75R16 General Grabber A/T, TRD shocks, Wheeler 3 leaf pack w/ overload leaf, Coil Spacer. Cruise and intermittent wiper mod.
    4.0 isn't an option on a regular cab manual. I would have jumped at it if it was. It was more important to me to avoid the extra length and weight of the access or double cab than having the extra horsepower. The regular cab is more maneuverable in the woods and the city where I spend most of my time.

5. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well, technically, 2.7/4.0 is 0.675.

I test drove a base 5-lug 2.7 auto. I actually liked it a lot...but after I test drove one with the V6, I was sold on the power, and I liked the looks of the prerunner.

If the 2.7 had a LOT better fuel economy than the V6, I would have probably bought it. Unfortunately, from what I could tell the real difference was about 3-4 mpg, which wasn't enough to make me sacrifice the power.

Had it been 18 mpg average on the 4.0 and 28 mpg average for the 2.7, I would have bought the 2.7.

6. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    OK. So what do you use or need the power for. Hauling or Towing ? If towing did you get a tow package from Toyota or after market ?

7. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Mine came with the towing package- I found a truck that had what I wanted on the lot and it came with so I paid for it.
    I like the power off road too- A s/c is on the list. Turning bigger tires and being able to do whatever I need...

8. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    99% of the time I use that power for accelerating.

I bought an aftermarket receiver hitch, and occasionally will tow probably much less than 3500 pounds.

9. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    That's a good point. Why is the reported mileage so close ? I got the 2.7 as my daily driver and figured the mileage would be a good thing on a daily basis. Maybe not tho I have not needed more power.

10. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    Nolz

Nolz Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC TRD Off Road
    TRD Decals (Removed), Mud Flaps (Removed), Undercover Tonneau, Bed Mat, All-Weather Mats, Bug Shield, Tint
    I put 40k miles on a 2007 access cab prerunner, 2.7 5sp (purchased new). The truck sticker advertised 27 on the highway and 23 in the city. I never acheived anywhere near the 27 highway, and at on point (somewhere around 12k miles) I took it back to the dealer to have them test it for any potential problems. After hooking it up to the diagnostics and running tests, the service manager explained that the set up of that vehicle, which had a 4.10 I believe, should actually only be getting 23 on the highway. The "low boy" supposedly got the better mileage, but with a different rear gear. Anyhow, when I was in the market for another truck I bought the 2009 DC prerunner shortbed, 4.0 auto (again, purchased new). I have put 25k miles on it since July, and my average is 21 on the highway. The 2.7 vs the 4.0 saved me about 2 MPG in real world driving...

11. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I told the dealership I was working with not to even bother me if the truck didn't have any one of the following:

- 4x4
    - V6
    - Tow Package
    - TRD OffRoad Package (Locker)
    - Double Cab

They found two in the state, I bought one, and then they brought it to their dealership to install the dealer options I wanted on top of the stuff listed above.

Now I've had it for about 10 months, have been continuously modding it, and it's still not done yet. And won't be for a good while.

What do I use the extra power for? Whatever a truck does that I want to use the extra power for. It's a multi-purpose tool, and the V6 mill just makes it that much more capable.

12. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2 mph ain't much is it ? I can get 27mph highway sometimes if there aren't too many hills and I watch the scanguage and pretend there is a egg shell between my foot and the accelerator.

13. Mar 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    CorrectionCop

CorrectionCop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Off Road SR5 V6 access cab
    Locking differential,TSB 4 Leaf Spring, Bug deflector.
    See 27MPH on the highway, you should have got the 4.0L.

14. Mar 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    The double cab didn't come with the 2.7...

15. Mar 28, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If I take a back highway with a 55 mph limit, even with hills, I can get 22-23 mpg in my 4.0 V6 Auto. And that's not really driving all that easy--just keeping the top speed down.

16. Mar 28, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    focotacoma

focotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue 4x4 TRD off-road
    Im getting there......
    The power is really nice ive towed a 22 foot shop trailer, my friends jeep modified crawler, a ranger pre-runner, and a playhouse about the size of a large tuff shed on a tilting ultility trailer. o ya and a full size backhoe that belongs to my friend a couple times..

that kind of pushes it i guess but thats why i bought a truck....

also with multiple dirt bikes it tackles inclines much better

17. Mar 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    lowzone

lowzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM AC 2.7L 5 spd SR5
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....

i had an Isuzu 2.6L 4x4 standard cab and got 16 city/21 highway (strictly highway)....and it was taching about 3100rpms at 65. my 2010 2wd access cab gets 22 city so far, and im going to NC next month, thru the hills and im HOPING for 30mpg. my 06 GMC canyon 2.8 CREWCAB 5 spd got 34 on the same trip and it was rated 20/27. 32mpg going to Canada, so its not a fluke.

i bought my 2.7L for the fuel economy.

i was shocked at the LOW rpms at 65 (2100). i used 4wd twice this year and once was to play, once was to go to the parts store to get a belt for my snowthrower (yeah they break WHEN you need them....) and i spent most of the time in 2wd. for the fuel savings of having a 2.7L and PRICE savings of NOT getting 4wd, i figure ill save about 7500 over the next 5 years. (5k alone on the 4wd sticker). im building another Isuzu, a 2.6L SPACECAB 4X4, ground up restoration and with paint it will cost me under 2500 in total....insurance is another 400/yr 65/registration....so i got the 2wd 2.7L taco for daily driving fuel economy and have the Spacecab as a winter/offroad "toy". If i put 3000 miles on the Spacecab a year its ALOT.

The V6 NEVER entered my mind for a daily driving purpose and with the issues with the 6 spd, i dont want future issues like that, especially KNOWN issues. the V6, nah.....cause i dont own and drive automatics, NEVER, not until im 60 or older. no offense to automatic owners :)

and yes i know the V6 isnt available in the 2wd (non prerunner) access cab with the exception of the X-runner. I wanted one but the trans issue pushed me away from that purchase. im lowering the AC this summer 2" and putting some nice rims on it, and have a nice DD.....

My brother has an FJ and LOVES his 4.0L and gets 18-20 combined. 23 mpg going to Florida for bike week pulling a small trailer and his Ultra HD (700+lb bike)...

just my story on why i got the 2.7L 5 spd and not the 4.0L.

18. Mar 28, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Different needs, different approaches. If I was driving the Taco on a daily basis, I would've considered the 2.7L.

I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, there are very good reasons for the 4cyl and very good reasons why people buy them. They just don't apply to my situation.

19. Mar 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I had gone from a 4.7 V8 auto tundra to the 4.0 auto tacoma & tow year round. The dealer added an aftermarket Class IV hitch into the deal since it was the last 06 in the state & the deal was too good to pass up. Today is actually my 3 year trucks anniversary :woot:

20. Mar 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    "i was shocked at the LOW rpms at 65 (2100)" Yea, I'm always surprised when I read a post where they are running 3,000. I usually don't need to go much above 2500 and usually change gears there or lower.

Products Discussed in

To Top