1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7 L bulletproof?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Niknaq, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Aug 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I get gas from BP, 93 octane, 10% ethanol, and no problems here. :eek:

2. Aug 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    oh i see its the gas blends that cause it.....ahhhhh.

3. Aug 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Never had a problem with 93...butt dyno thinks it can really feel the extra torque, especially on hills, but who knows...of course, I have the 4.0L, which if I recall is a higher compression ratio than the 2.7....also have the CAI and Cat-Back...dunno if that's helping my breathing or not...other musings separated by dot dot dots...

4. Aug 28, 2009 at 11:22 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I have no idea where you got that from. My truck runs much better on 93. The chevron down here does not have ethanol in it and my truck gets a TON better mileage with it, regardless of the octane.

With 87 shell (10% ethanol) back home I get about 21.8 MPG. With shell 93 (10 % ethanol) i get 23.6 mpg. With 93 chevron (0% ethanol) I get 25.1 mpg and chevron 89 gets 24.6 mpg

5. Aug 29, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    well maybe it's just down here or something...it could've been a bad batch of gas as well...(we have to ship all of our ethanol here) and there are differences from week to week in the quality of gas. idk, maybe i'll try it again if all of you are seeing an improvement with premium, but that was my experience with it

6. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    The manual for my 06 says that the ignition timing is automatically adjusted depending on the fuel octane being run -- 87 is the minimum but higher grades will produce more power and better fuel economy. I am paraphrasing but that's the jist. It also says that brief periods of engine knock under heavy loads or hard acceleration are normal while the timing is adjusted. I have also heard many 4.0 owners saying that they have run regular 87 in their motors for years without any issues. I understand that higher compression engines (4.0 v6) normally require higher octane fuel than "lower" compression (2.7 i4) but maybe that's where the auto-adjust ignition timing thingy comes in. I just got my 06 on Saturday and am clocking the mileage on the first full tank of 87. Then will try 89 mid-grade with the same type of driving, and finally a tank of 91. BTW this is my first post in TacoWorld.

Update: When my fuel gauge showed exactly half tank (87 octane), the trip meter was at 215 miles. I know at this stage a real fuel economy calculation is not possible but... so far, so good. Yeah I know I don't drive much. :)

7. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Hurray for a noob who makes productive posts!

8. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Nice first post. I have an 08 2.7 and I tried 89 octane and didn't notice a difference in power or mpg. I live at about 3,500 ft so I definitley don't want to try 92, but if I had the 4.0 I probably would give it a shot. Let us know what you find out, but you will probably have to run several tanks of each octane level to get an accurate reading. Welcome to TW.

9. Sep 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    But are you willing to trade mileage for power?

And premium only helps performance at lower elevations.......

10. Sep 2, 2009 at 1:00 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    i drive mostly at sea level lol

Products Discussed in

To Top