1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7L 4 Cylinder Oil Filter Removal without Spilling

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by jowybyo, Nov 22, 2016.

1. May 10, 2018 at 10:00 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 11, 2018 at 12:08 AM
    05Taco4x4

05Taco4x4 ToyotaHubs

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    FJ Tcase, Manual Hubs, 2017 Head unit, Mirror Riser
    A filter wrench with a bucket, like that, on the bottom would be sweet

3. May 12, 2018 at 11:51 AM
    Nick13

Nick13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Vehicle:
    2017 sr
    I got mine years ago off the Matco tools truck. I bought 2 to do trans work and then found out they are only right hand gloves.

4. May 12, 2018 at 11:53 AM
    Nick13

Nick13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Vehicle:
    2017 sr
    I loosened the filter just enough to turn by hand and not leak then put the glove on. It's a thick rubber glove like a fishing or kitchen glove

5. May 15, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
  6. May 16, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    TRVLR500

TRVLR500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    I just changed the oil on my RC 2.7. I just loosened the filter. Put the pan under there where the oil was running off the skid plate and then spun it off by reaching in from the passenger side wheel well. If there was room to get it out from the wheel well that would be great but there isn't unless I take off the inner rubber apron and then I'll be buying clips every time I change the oil. I actually don't know if removing that rubber apron will even give me enough room to get the filter out through the wheel well. That, I may try in the future. I'll just buy a bunch of those plugs/clips. This time though I just spun it off from inside the wheel well and let it fall where it may. It just fell on the skid plate and there was actually very little mess since "most" of the oil just ran into the drain pan. I ended up with very little on the concrete. Maybe a 6" spot.

7. May 27, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    Nitori

Nitori Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R SR5
    I'm late to the party here but I just use a milk carton / plastic juice bottle / plastic alcohol bottle with the top cut off, and hardly spill a thing.

I just changed my oil this weekend actually. Here is the sum of oil spilled:
    [​IMG]

In an annoying spot to be sure, but looks like maybe a few drips. (Also wow I need an undercarriage wash!:eek:)

So what you do is you loosen the filter until it turns easily by hand, and then you shove your carton up there until you only can see the top of the filter (your carton being semi rigid is important, a bag won't work!) and start to turn it till the seal breaks. Oil will gush down along the filter but the carton will catch it. The hardest part at this point is the filter gets oily and you're gonna still have to grip it. At this point it should still spin pretty freely though so just keep gripping at it tightly with your fingertips, don't try to palm it.

This is all the oil that got on my hands from that:
    [​IMG]

And the final wipedown:
    [​IMG]

I'd say 2 blue shop rags and a milk carton is pretty no-fuss.

Give it a try, it's free and once you get the hang of it it's fast and pretty clean. This is my 4th oil change since owning the truck. I didn't perfect this method on my first try, mind you. ;)

louiemak likes this.
  8. May 28, 2018 at 5:25 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    So you have to leave enough room between the top of the carton and the motor for your hand to turn the filter - if this is correct how many inches do you leave. Thanks for any reply.

9. May 28, 2018 at 10:50 AM
    Nitori

Nitori Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R SR5
    Only about 1 or 2, I really try to get it up there as much as I can to catch that initial dribble, but still have access to spin the filter. Your mileage may vary, I happen to have on the larger side of average hands so you gotta do what still allows you to spin that filter.

It's a shame there's no easy way to take a video or else I could show the process.

10. May 28, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply - no need to take a video - I have 115,000 miles on mine and change it every 5,000 so that's 23 changes so pretty familiar with the process but always like to give new methods a try - next time I'll try this. Thanks again.

11. Jun 18, 2018 at 5:49 PM
    dawgn86

dawgn86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    I use the milk jug as well. Never spill a drop .Cut the bottom and angle cut the side some. I use a gallon jug

Products Discussed in

To Top