1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7L engine knock

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by wgerow, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Dec 17, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    thombiz

thombiz Active Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner & '02 Tundra
    As for altering the ignition timing for vehicles where timing is controlled by the ECU, you have to access the control chip then reprogram the timing.

2. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    stephan305

stephan305 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stephan
    miami,fl
    Vehicle:
    1999 prerunner
    2 1/2 skyjacker lift k/n cold air filter
    my truck does the same thing.you need an oil filter that prevents all the oil from going back to your pan,and keeps it on the top of the motor.it worked for mine.

3. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    thombiz

thombiz Active Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner & '02 Tundra
    I've been giving this "knock" problem some considerable thought and I may have a possible answer. On the newer engines, the engine timing is totally controlled by the Engine Control Unit. The ECU makes decisions based on info provided by sensors located on the motor and in the intake and exhaust stream. Therefore it makes sense that if one of these sensors is not working properly, then the ECU would make a "wrong" adjustment. In this case, it seems reasonable to check the "Knock Sensor" first. I have no idea in hell how to check it or even where it is located, but it sure seems to make sense. Anyone ever replaced their Knock Sensor"?

Some Knock Sensor reading: http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/july/techtips.htm

Reading the above and some info on Yotatech, it seems the Knock Sensors only rarely fail, but the wire between the knock sensor and the wiring harness connection can and does fail due to excessive heat exposure. Most recommendations are to replace the wire first to see if this eliminates the problem, allowing a good clear signal from the knock sensor to the ECU.

4. Dec 18, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    Himiler

Himiler Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Washington state
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner2.7prndl
    Rocker,stocker
    I had the same problem with my 2.7 using 10-30 only knocked on initial startup,questioned mechanic and was told heaters could help but the oil could be too 'thick' to flow till it warms. I added a pint of marvel oil and have been listening but not hearing the knock. My 2.7 is also a 160k+ motor, lots a life left! Hope this helps!:):)

5. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    dip

dip Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    My 01 knocks when cold. It has almost 160k on it but it burns no oil. Tried different oil's synthetic and regular oil no change. The last time I tried 0w-30 it made no difference but cost me extra money. I give up but still sounds like oil starvation to me.

6. Dec 19, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    It takes about 2 min of cold idle time with my truck,,then there is no knock. If I do have to take off quickily for whatever reason, (EX: late for work, ect) once I hear it just start to knock, I back out of the throttle and just move along with very little load on the motor and no knock. a mile or so down the road and the knock is gone (Pistons have expanded a bit, clearance is tighter).

Optimally, you should wait until the motor is at complete operating temp, before taking off, and usually I do that. About 5-7 minutes or so. IMO.

I am sure this has been debated on here a few times and I will probably be dog piled on, but, a higher mileage motor needs a thicker oil than factory recommendations. Once those clearances increase from mileage, you loose less and less of a oil wedge between parts when running.

To that end, I use Shell Rotella triple guard 15W-40, and have been since it hit about 120K miles. Let the dog pile begin!!!!

7. Dec 20, 2010 at 4:18 AM
    stephan305

stephan305 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stephan
    miami,fl
    Vehicle:
    1999 prerunner
    alot of people don't understand with engines you have to start the motor and do not touch gas pedal,you can hear when oil is at the top of the motor.its called dry starts and almost every car does it.i live in miami and still let my motor run at least a minute before driving.i have 125.000miles and my 2.7 still runs like the day i bought it.i use castro gtx 5w30.with a little motor honey mixed in.

8. Dec 29, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    m0brando

m0brando Member

Member:
    Central Missouri
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport 4WD
    My '07 with 45K does this. I think it's perfectly normal and understand the concept, but it is definitely more noticeable on this motor in cold weather. Also seems to last a lot longer than on my Jeep or Honda. So I can see where the original poster was concerned - have to admit I was too!

9. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    drifter

drifter moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    lol I have the same basic problems as the op. Engine knock on start up *more so when I put it in gear* and a sticky accelerator. It's nice to know it's nothing serious though.

10. Jan 2, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Cheapest cure - switch to synthetic. My 2.7 had a tic at 30F and below. I used a oil pan heater last year and that worked with dino. This year I'm using syn and have not heard the tic and we have been down to 17F in the AM. I haven't had to use the block heater at all - maybe I should just for an easier warm up but I don't need it for the tic.

11. Jan 2, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    BlueTaco07

BlueTaco07 Super Mod!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Panama city, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    It could be your piston rod hitting the side due to lack of oil or if you take it to a shop they can put bushings inbetween the piston rod and the head gasket to keep it from hitting

12. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    What the H.? ? That truck is still practically new. Modern FI engines only need a short period of fast idle (30 sec) before they can be driven away, gently. That's under normal circumstances of course.

If a connecting rod is hitting the head gasket, that's an entirely different problem...

13. Jan 25, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    stephan305

stephan305 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stephan
    miami,fl
    Vehicle:
    1999 prerunner
    this more of a cold weather thing.i live in miami,fl and the only time my 99 with a 125.000 knocks is in cold weather.below 40degrees,if thats even cold to you guys.everytime i change the oil 3500 i put just a couple of onces of motorclean.i just had the valve gaskets replaced and the topend was spotless.one of the cleanest toyotas motors i have ever seen.not one drop of deposits or dried oil.

14. Jan 25, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    racerxtaco

racerxtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    01 xtra-cab 4X4 w/cap
    Originally Posted by RedYoter10 [​IMG]
    My 2010 will do it when its cold, I just let it warm up until it comes off the cold mark

he'll be sorry when after a few years he has a years worth of unnecessary idling on his motor which does more harm than good

15. Jan 26, 2011 at 5:09 AM
    stephan305

stephan305 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stephan
    miami,fl
    Vehicle:
    1999 prerunner
    i'am telling everyone that you can hear when oil gets to the top of your motor.i suggest not touching the gas pedal until its up top.dry starts.and its a cold weather thing.over 125.000miles and no knocking in my motor.and runs as good today as in 99.the only knock is below 35 degrees.

16. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    96greengoblin

96greengoblin Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    96 Extended Cab 4x4
    Billy's on all 4 corners!
    all this talk has got me super nervous. im a highschooler who saved and saved for the 96 i just bought last week. i had the toyo dealer and another mechanic listen to the motor and they both said it seemed alright but neither drove it. its been cold here (-5 to 20 F) since i bought it and my truck does the same thing you all describe. upon startup and below 1000 rpm's its fairly noticeable and decreases in volume after a few minutes of warming up. as soon as i depress the gas pedal it either goes away or is too quiet for me to hear. as soon as a let off and come to a stop sign or something, it begins again quietly. any thoughts? i know its been covered but i really need some reassurance. oil was changed to 5w30 today.

17. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    If the 5W30 is syn that will help. A oil pan heater will help on a 2.7 4cyl. I use it under 30F. If you have a 6 cyl you can get a block heater that plugs in to a factory made hole in the block - real easy.

18. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    96greengoblin

96greengoblin Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    96 Extended Cab 4x4
    Billy's on all 4 corners!
    its conventional. i would say the ticking has decreased in volume after the oil change, and it has warmed up outside considerably in the last 24 hours or so. once i drive for a few minutes, the ticking is very minimal if even noticeable. are these all good signs that its nothing to worry about?

19. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Probably but I just don't like the ticking that's why I use syn oil and oil pan heater under 30F over night = no ticking.

20. Feb 16, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    motoretro

motoretro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg, Cab, 2.7 Four Cyl. manual trans
    Can a Engine block heater be retrofitted?

Motoretro

Products Discussed in

To Top