1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7L front seal seap

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2.7taco, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sep 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Well guys I crawled under my truck today to inspect a few wires that I have previously routed and found a nice surprise.
    I looked straight up and saw oil spray on my transmission lines headed to my radiator. So I look around and see right in front of me my front main seal is leaking.:mad: I would have taken a picture but the rain had other plans for me.

I used to own a 98 Avalon before the truck and I have seen tacomas and toyota pick-ups with over 150,000mi. and no seepage from the engine seals.
    My truck has just under 74,000mi. and the seals seem to be going out.

Any others have this issue on their trucks?

2. Sep 24, 2010 at 12:21 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    negative. this is the first time i've personally heard of this.

3. Sep 24, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    If this was common I would have no problem with it but as it looks my truck will be heading to a shop to get resealed as soon as I get the opportunity.

4. Sep 24, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    FL Forester

FL Forester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner
    I have had both the fron and rear seal replaced on mine. Luckily it was under the extended warranty.

5. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    The dealers here will not cover it since the truck is at almost 74,000mi. But I have MPP warranty so it can be used at any shop, so it will be going to someone I can trust rather than the dealer.

Glad they fixed yours without a hitch. How many miles was on the truck when it was resealed?

6. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    FL Forester

FL Forester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner
    A little over 60,000. Just past the powertrain limit. My extended Warranty has paid for itself a couple of times now with the work I have had done.

7. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Warranty is a good thing thats for sure. Although seals should not be leaking at this low of mileage.

8. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    thats true unless there is something wrong like loose crankshaft bolt or bad pulley.
    bad pulley will eat the seals pretty quickly. When you changing the seal clean pulley and check if it wobbles.
    Also forgot, seal should be geting oil from the inside of the engine, is it possible you running with lower oil level ?

9. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Done that while it is on the truck not a bad pulley on mine. Then turned around and measured endplay and nothing is out of spec so far.

I am just wondering if I may have too much blow-by in one or more of the cylinders causing it to pressurize the crankcase and have the seals leak.:eek:

10. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Thats a possibility but I would think PCV valve would take care of extra pressure. Whole front under the timing chain cover is open area so any extra gas I would think would affect the PCV valve first.(maybe good thing to check pcv )

Also there is ofcourse simplest possibility ever.
    a. You are very lucky and piece of dirt managed to lodge itself on the seal lip and tear it down :D .
    b. You are very lucky and got the only truck for a year manufactured during Superbowl and whoever installed seal just installed crooked.

The good part is,a front seal is very easy to replace so once you remove that seal you will probably know.

11. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    HAHAHA....I bet that would be my luck. I will check the blow-by and PCV valve and see what going on.

I still believe the seal is dieing.

Products Discussed in

To Top