1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7L Rough Idle Diagnosing [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by nzbrock, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Jan 8, 2017 at 2:27 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Thanks for the pic! I only have a 10/12mm brake line wrench and I was unsure if a 14mm would fit and still be able to turn. My regular 14mm hits the side of the EGR valve. I might actually have an extra 14mm socket that I can grind a slot into.

2. Jan 8, 2017 at 2:37 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    You should purchase a 14mm wrench, even though this might be the only application for it. The walls of the business end are thinner than a normal box-end wrench, so it has more room.
    I also soaked it in PB Blaster a couple of hours before, as well.

Good luck

3. Jan 10, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    So I was able to pull the EGR temperature sensor and clean it. I used a 14mm deep impact socket that I cut a slot in. This made it super quick and easy to remove.

It had about 1/16" of hard oil/gunk/soot on it that needed to be scraped and scrubbed off. I then tested it up to 212*F by boiling the business end in water while reading the resistance across the 2 pins. I got 14k ohms which is within spec. I didn't have an easy way to get it up to 302* though.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 6.07.47 PM.jpg
    So I guess I am down to the VSV or the EGR Valve itself. I will try to pull the VSV this weekend and test it as well.

4. Jan 10, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    Also, here is a current graph of my o2 readings. It is a lot different than before.
    IMG_6646.jpg

5. Jan 15, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    I tested the EGR VSV today and read 38ohms across the terminals which is within spec. I did not have a chance to apply power to it to test its function though, I will see if I can pull it again tomorrow.

IMG_6641.jpg

6. Jan 22, 2017 at 9:04 AM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    So after testing everything that I could, I did not find an engine related problem. I decided to take it to the dealer to see what they could come up with. I had a few other issues that I wanted them to check including the valve clearance. The service tech suggested that the excessive shaking is due to the rear transmission mount being bad. He confirmed that it was definitely moving too much. Since the dealer here wants $150 for just the part, I will do it myself ordering from partznet.com. I am not sure if it will completely fix the shaking issue though.

I told them to check the valve clearance anyway for my piece of mind. They quoted me around $400 if they actually have to adjust the clearance.

7. Jan 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    I replaced the rear engine mount (transmission mount) today. The original one was definitely bad with the rubber separating from the metal. This, however, did not remedy the vibration/shaking at idle. It made it slightly better, but it is still excessive. It is definitely something engine related.

I may pull the IAC again and see if I can diagnose it further.

8. Jan 28, 2017 at 11:35 AM
    10MGM

10MGM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC MGM 4x4
    Only happens in gear with brakes on? Have you checked brake booster for vacuum leak?

9. Jan 28, 2017 at 11:44 AM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    Yes, only happens in gear (D, R, 2, 1) while stationary. The same occurs with or without the brake applied. I can set the parking brake and it still happens. The idle speed is noticeably lower than when in Park.

The brake booster hose is old and could definitely be replaced, but there is no noticeable vacuum leak. That is the only hose correct? If there was a vacuum leak, would it affect the brakes at all?

10. Jan 28, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    10MGM

10MGM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC MGM 4x4
    Blows my theory.

11. Feb 19, 2017 at 8:40 AM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    So I decided to pull the throttle body out once again and double check everything. This time I powered the IAC with 12v following the FSM and it functioned perfectly. I did the same with the VSV for the EGR and it passed as well.

I was going to check the Throttle position sensor, but mine only has 3 contacts and the FSM for a 96 that I was following shows 4. Does anyone have the correct procedure for the 3RZ on a 99?

I am going to replace the 2 front engine mounts sometime soon since the rear one was pretty bad. I'm sure this will lessen the vibration but I still don't think it will completely eliminate it.

12. Mar 11, 2017 at 3:38 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    Replaced both motor mounts today. They were definitely bad, but the vibration still persists!

I may completely pull off the EGR to test it more easily, but I really don't know what else it could be. I think I have exhausted all possible issues.
    IMG_6960.jpg
    IMG_6962.jpg
    IMG_6963.jpg

13. Apr 1, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    I pulled the EGR valve today and checked its operation. The "piston" inside moved smoothly. It definitely had carbon build up and I cleaned that out, but it did not solve the problem. I reinstalled it with new gaskets, plus the gasket at the exhaust manifold.

I noticed that my VSV for EVAP was was ticking. This was like it was cycling open and closed. I pulled the hose off and took a video and it was definitely pulsing. Is this normal operation?

14. Apr 19, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    So I just held a screwdriver on my injectors to see if they were firing correctly. #2 and #3 had a strong distinct tick to them while #1 didn't have much of anything other than what seemed like engine vibration. #4 felt similar to #1 but it is hard to reach with the intake on.

Any thoughts? Could a lazy injector be the cause of this? Could it be the coil pack? My truck has 2 coils (one for 1and4 and the other for 2and3)

15. Apr 22, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    So I decided to boost my baseline idle slightly. In Neutral or Park it was running at 675-700 when warm. I loosened the throttle stop jam but and turned the Allen set screw slightly to increase the baseline to 750-775.

Now in drive while stopped my rpm drops to about 675 and there is a lot less vibration. I also noticed that the vacuum throttle stop mechanism is now perfectly even with the throttle stop. Meaning I cannot turn the throttle closed more by compressing the vacuum solenoid. Only time will tell if this will cause issues. If it does I can always adjust back to where it was.

16. Oct 11, 2017 at 4:01 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    I FINALLY FIXED IT!!!!!

It was suggested to me a while ago by a few people that the vibration could be coming from my exhaust. I tested this theory initially by using a c-clamp to pull the exhaust pipe toward the frame rail. This did absolutely nothing so I assumed that it was not the issue.

6 months go by and I decide to get an actual exhaust hanger and try it out. I got a 2-1/4" exhaust clamp and a hanger with a strap from advanced auto. I clamped the hanger to the exhaust and then clamped the other end the frame rail with a c-clamp. I tested a few different positions and finally found one that stopped the vibration while stopped in Drive completely. It was like tuning an instrument. The distance between the catalytic converter exhaust hangers and the muffler exhaust hangers must be some sort of wavelength that matches with the engine vibration at idle. It would amplify at that specific rpm and make the whole truck shake.

Keep in mind my exhaust is not stock. I have a Flowmaster Delta 50 welded to the stock pipe where the original muffler was. The tail pipe is cut off just before the rear axle.

So here is the combination of what worked to solve the vibration
    1) new transmission mount
    2) new engine mounts
    3) exhaust clamp/hanger

While cleaning the Throttle Body and IAC are definitely important, those services did not do anything to affect my idle.

I now have a vibration when the rpm drops from high idle (roughly 900) to low idle (roughly 650). I'm thinking it is around 750rpm, but the truck never sits at that RPM so I am fine with that.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  17. Apr 25, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    Hey Noah, My truck recently developed this exact same issue...shaking at idle. Do you have pics of how you ended up clamping the exhaust?

fortiz619 likes this.
  18. Apr 25, 2018 at 12:20 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    I don't have any pictures, but I just got an exhaust clamp and hanger strap and bolted it into an existing threaded hole on the frame. A good way to determine where to position it would be to use a c-clamp and try multiple locations. It ended up being almost exactly halfway between the cat hanger and muffler hanger.

19. Apr 25, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    Awesome. Thanks. I don't have any hangers there at all right now so I'm guessing that is my issue.
    Thanks for following up this thread with what fixed your problem. Too many threads just end with no resolution.

Markcal likes this.
  20. Apr 25, 2018 at 12:44 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    I suggest you make the shaking occur (put the truck in drive and put the brake on). Then climb underneath and look at your exhaust. It doesn't take much movement for it to shake the whole vehicle.

Products Discussed in

To Top