1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 Channel or 4 Channel

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hpeeler, May 8, 2013.

1. May 8, 2013 at 3:56 AM
    hpeeler

hpeeler [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I am planning to add a small amp and line out converter to my factory head unit. I'm only looking for a little more volume and clarity, especially with my ipod. I'm not interested in changing head units or adding a sub.
    My question is do I need a 2 channel or 4 channel amp? If I go 2 will I lose the balance or fade control? Thanks.

2. May 8, 2013 at 5:29 AM
    CrazyDiamond

CrazyDiamond Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD / DC / SB
    What could you do or what should you do?

You could accomplish this with a 2 channel amp (assuming 2 ohm stable). Run the Front and Rear Left speakers in parallel, and do the same with the Right speakers. This way, you will clearly lose the fader - which I personally wouldn't care for.

You could also run a 2-channel line coverter, and split the signal into two pairs, and use the gain on a 4-channel amp to fade the sound front to rear. This is OK - it just requires you to manually adjust the levels at the amp.

Or you could run a 4-channel line coverter (or, this could be the high-level inputs on the amp). Then, run a 4 channel amp. Once you set your gains, the 4 channels will work properly with the gain/fade controls on the head unit. This would be my choice, but I'm not paying the bill :)

I'm sure there are other solutions here as well...

3. May 8, 2013 at 5:34 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    I would go 4channel as well but if you are planning on hooking the amp up to the factory speakers they will be toast in no time.

To Top