1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

+2 Fender Flare Development

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Evenflow, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Sep 18, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Umm...taking my ideas and thread info to have a different manufacturer swoop in and run with it ? WTF...thanks a bunch bro.

2. Sep 18, 2016 at 5:48 PM
    jakebray

jakebray Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Locked DCLB with Kings and crap
    I thought you had lost the plot, nothing has been said about this thread for a while now, nothing against you at all I just really want the ball rolling on this, I've been waiting way too long for a set of these bedsides, do you have any updates on what is happening then?

3. Sep 18, 2016 at 5:50 PM
    jakebray

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    And also I sent you a pm to see if I could talk to the manufacturer that you were already consulting to see if I could do anything to help, I just went to the next company and asked, nothing has been done yet they just had the idea a while back and I am trying to get them to pull the trigger, if you can get your company to pull the trigger I would love to help you get it going. Just let me know

4. Sep 18, 2016 at 6:33 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    First, these things take time to do right. I've already mocked up and trashed two sets of cut out flares because they were not perfect or would not work for the majority...set #3 is in the works. Second, if you don't have any patience and want to do something on your own entirely go ahead and do it but do not link another manufacturer to my thread and my list of design ideas so they can use that info, gauge interest and run with it and beat me to market - that's just completely un cool dude.

IamJorgeEdward and Boogyman like this.
  5. Sep 18, 2016 at 6:47 PM
    jakebray

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    I had talked with McNeil about 8 months ago about this and the list that you made was already talked about, they have been working on other things so they haven't had the time to get it done. I am not stealing any hype, people just want these to finally happen and I also want this to happen.

6. Sep 18, 2016 at 6:49 PM
    jakebray

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    If you can get them made then that would be freaking great I would be very happy and would support you but yes things do take time and not following up on getting it started and still having to wait 6-12 weeks to have the first set made its a little disappointing

7. Sep 18, 2016 at 6:50 PM
    jakebray

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Don't take it personally dude, I'll start my own thread if things finally happen with McNeil but till then i am with you on your glass

8. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:31 PM
    Overkill07

Overkill07 Tacoitis

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R DC MGM
    A few audio upgrades, tinted windows, remote start because it f'n hot in Texas! 6in Fabtech DB lift, 17x9 Fuel Trophy wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs,BAMF 80in sliders w/kickout, Prinsu cab rack w/30in Heretic light bar, custom bedside decals, custom hi-lift jack brackets, US Offroad front bumper w/winch, bed rack with RTT, CB, Short wave base station, Ultra gauge, color matched grille surround, an ungodly amount of recover gear, ARB fridge, hood struts, RotoPax, traction pads.
    I thought the whole idea of TW was to share ideas and build off of each other's thoughts. I am always surprised at how defensive people get when another person wants to use someone else's ideas. Maybe I'm way off base, I don't know :notsure:

9. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:38 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I've been on the receiving end of it. Have to agree with Jason on this.

10. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Ohhhh rrrrreally...McNeil was already going to completely redesign their front fenders to accommodate all of the items I listed huh...3 months after they did all of their work and already released theirs ? That's remarkable...truly.

Dude, you should just go ahead and sell your truck now because you are going to be bitterly disappointed with every single aftermarket hand made off road accessory that you buy if you expect to see something and have Amazon bring it to you two days later. Have you ever seen @HomerTaco's wait list ? Or @RelentlessFab 's wait list ? Have you ever seen the wait lists at some of the high end local SoCal shops ? People commonly wait 6 months or more ...wait for it...for a product that already exists ! ...but your going to give me shit because my idea I mentioned a couple months ago is not shipping yet ? You also said you started working with McNeil 8 months ago and they haven't had time to do it yet... But I'm the bad guy huh hmmmm.

Why are you accusing me of not starting yet ? You have absolutely no idea WTF you are talking about !

Anyone can rush a product and deliver you a Bushwacker fender flare ...or a plastic Cineese grill...or a crappy bumper...or a +2 product that will not clear a 35 at full bump / lock...or you wait and get well thought out high quality goods designed and built by Taco enthusiasts for Taco enthusiasts that truly fit the needs.

Don't take it personally ? What part of this don't you fully comprehend ? You tagged a competing vendor into my thread with the intention of getting the same product produced by them and showing them the level of interest in the product...how exactly am I not supposed to take that personally ? At least have the decency to do it like the Chineese and just steal it and keep it quiet ( until a mysteriously similiar product appears and floods the market at half price )

Again, if you want to make the same thing yourself - do it - go for it but don't steal other peoples intellectual property. Get a few trucks yourself and spend your weekends pulling people fenders off and cycling suspensions and recording all of the data per set up so you can design a fender or a flare that will meet the needs. Spend your weekends and personal $ designing both cosmetics and functionality, spend your weekends covered in saw dust and fiberglass dust.

* I want to clarify that I am not saying anything negative about McNeil, they make a ton of rad stuff that in my experience fits a helluva lot better than most most glass shops. Their +2 fenders were clearly designed for different user / different criteria etc.

11. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Yup you missed home plate when you slid in....

12. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:47 PM
    jakebray

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Never said they were remaking them I said that they are making a matching bedsides for their fronts, I have no idea where the heck you pulled that one from

13. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:51 PM
    Overkill07

Overkill07 Tacoitis

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R DC MGM
    A few audio upgrades, tinted windows, remote start because it f'n hot in Texas! 6in Fabtech DB lift, 17x9 Fuel Trophy wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs,BAMF 80in sliders w/kickout, Prinsu cab rack w/30in Heretic light bar, custom bedside decals, custom hi-lift jack brackets, US Offroad front bumper w/winch, bed rack with RTT, CB, Short wave base station, Ultra gauge, color matched grille surround, an ungodly amount of recover gear, ARB fridge, hood struts, RotoPax, traction pads.
    Lol

:popcorn:

Evenflow[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  14. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:55 PM
    jakebray

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Id like to share that you said this was a "potential group buy" and that it was never stated that it was "your" product that you were creating. I thought that from the beginning you were working with a company to create a +2 fender that we have all been looking for, not making your own and making a profit on it. Maybe I missed that part but you should be more clear, I was bringing my ideas to this thread so that I could help make somthing for US to use so that WE could solve this +2 fender with a shell thing. But unfortunately you had to go and be all defensive about a product that has already been talked about. I don't think that is right. If I would have known that you were making it for profit then I wouldn't have tagged another manufacturer in here, see what I am saying? I don't see what the huge deal is, I just want a complete set of +2 fenders just like everyone else who is on this thread.

15. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:59 PM
    jakebray

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Look If you want to scream at the computer and write hate messages that's fine with me but save your energy, this ridiculous argument is attracting a crowd, you are welcome I helped bring people to your thread to see "your great new inventive product that nobody has thought of"

16. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:59 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    oh o.k...so that clears it up you want McNeil to make you bedsides that match their current fronts that don't meet quite a few of the criteria I detailed...wait for it ...which is exactly one of the reasons I started this journey because their product did not meet my needs. I can now clearly see why you would tag them ...because they don't need these ideas at all to build a bedside that matches their fronts that don't cover everything we want...yup makes perfect sense.

17. Sep 18, 2016 at 8:01 PM
    jakebray

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Actually their front glass bump and lock clears 35s fully for me with zero trimming, so yea I am pretty happy with their product so far, and if I have to cut the rears a little then so be it still looks better than stock :notsure:

18. Sep 18, 2016 at 8:03 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I don't think Jake had any ill intentions when he hit up McNeil. Maybe asking for another update would have been good first though. I've met him in person and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to want to hurt someone's steez for his own gain. I haven't met you in person but I know you're truck is awesome so you've got to be cool too lol. Hopefully we can help each other get what we want and have this be a good opportunity for everyone. I'm sure everyone is feeling a little frustrated but it's good to know that you're still making it happen.

I know you had the head gasket to work with lately and I'm sure that's been keeping you busy. That said I noticed the only posts lately on this thread were mostly people asking for updates and not hearing too much back. I found a pair of fenders for a deal and picked them up since I figured a 2.5" kit I ordered and 35's would fill them up just fine. Not much info coming out about these so I figured the idea wasn't really coming to fruition. I don't think the issue has been lack of a speedily developed product but a lack of response to questions. If you want to keep people interested, maybe keeping people updated with what you're going through with the process will help. I'm still interested in some long bed sides if those will be developed along with the short bed sides that were originally planned. Thanks for doing the leg work, keep us in the loop brother. Let us know if we can be of any help to you.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  19. Sep 18, 2016 at 8:04 PM
    jakebray

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    So if you are not the manufacturer then why is this such a big deal? It's not your product and the McNeils are not my product, why does this bother you so much? Is it your company that I am stepping on?

Crosis likes this.
  20. Sep 18, 2016 at 8:06 PM
    jakebray

Member:
    First Name:
    jake
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    Thanks dude, means a lot and yes I had asked many times for updates and even sent a PM asking if I could help out on making it happen with no response...

Products Discussed in

To Top