1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 Gen problem=maintenance

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by THROUGHITALLDUDE, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

THROUGHITALLDUDE [OP] Someone didnt put the tailgate down!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    This story is to show you how important preventative maintenance is on our trucks.
    Ok so today my big bro came home from Davis, CA and he owns a 2005 prerunner access cab just like me. So he was having problems with idle, ignition, acceleration and overall engine performance. These werent super major problems but if ignored seemed like they would've gotten worse and could have cost major bucks in the end. So I told him I would do some work with him to fix all these problems. I did a Full Transmission Flush, Sea foam, throttle body & mass air sensor cleaning, spark plug replacement and oil change. After we did all this we were super pumped to see the result on how it ran like a BAMF it was completely different!!!! everything started right up ran as smooth as a Tacoma right off the lot and most of all the truck was very responsive. Afterward he went and bought a new muffler to add some kick to his truck and bought both me and him a drop in K&N. Guys the truck runs like a champ. It feels slightly quicker, got more torque, and its all smooth. Doing these write ups on here are not just for overly anal nut jobs. If you think washing the outside of your truck makes you a good car owner than your lost. Its things like the sticky's and DYI preventative maintenance that makes you a responsible and good Tacoma owner. So you put the time and money into your truck and it will all pay off.

For those who were wondering money:
    Tranny flush=$130/ Dealership with labor wanted $270
    Oil Change= $17 Autozone special/ Dealer wanted $90 with tire rotation
    Sea Foam= $10
    Spark Plugs= $30/ Dealership wanted $150 with labor
    Throttle Body Mass sensor=$15/ Dealership wanted $175:eek:

All in all Dealership wanted about $750 with tax when everything was said and done we spent $187 and I got to spend quality time with the big bro working out our trucks WORTH EVERY PENNY:cool:

2. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
  3. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  4. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    Now I just got to get around to changing out my spark plugs. When they took off his old muffler it had a HUGE hole blown out the bottom of it. The shop said that is usually caused by misfires I immediately thought to change his plugs. Low and behold the first plug we pulled the gap was gone the metal ends were touching so its a good thing we fixed that.

5. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa

good information for the person that may want to save some $

6. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    def....it takes more determination and time than money

7. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    LeftyTom

LeftyTom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yadkinville NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma AccessCab, 2WD, 5spd, SR5
    Right on, Jeff. A little elbow grease (for those who do not know, it does not come in a can) can save you a wad of cash. Shoot, oil changes around here go for $30, so figure what you will save over 100K miles or more. Plus you get the zen moment of knowing the job is done right.

8. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    times is hard now.

9. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Where did you get Denso or NGK plugs for $30? I paid $60 last time at Advanced Auto.

10. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
  11. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    how many miles on the 05? first spark plug change? hard to tell what fixed the issue, but i'm willing to bet that the plugs took care of a large portion of the issues.

12. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:28 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Good job, pulling a little maintenance is always good...Now if it was a manual transmission, the cost would have been far less, and you should have looked at the diff oils.

I used to change the gear oils on my land cruiser with a five gallon pail of inexpensive gear lube and a hand pump. No need for the fancy synthetic gear lube.

13. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    Charlie Sheen style.... Bi Winning YO!

But seriously, doing work yourself is always going to be best. I had my front diff actuator go out and they wanted like $1,400 for the install and $325 for the part. I got the part and did the work myself saving the $1,400. I doo al of my own work (if I can) which I will assume saves me thousands each year, and gives me the peace of mind that it is all done right, and with the attention I would like to see. Good Job for helping your Brotha out!

14. Mar 9, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    Jefenator

Jefenator Taco Truck Noob

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD Reg Cab Stick Shift
    The dealer wants $90 for an oil change?? :eek:

15. Mar 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    JasonJump

JasonJump Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 D Cab Debadged
    Billy 5100's set at 2.5, iPhone innerface, TRD Sport wheels powdercoated Anthracite grey wrapped in 265/70/17 Duratracs, Custom Sliders
    haha bud you can get them at the dealer for like $4-5 a piece for original Densos that came in the truck. Most people on here change them out all Denso instead of half NGK half Denso

16. Mar 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    Ya just went to the dealer and got em for 5.

But the Rear diff is coming next I still wanna do that but we kinda ran out of time.

The Dealer is ridiculous with these oil changes they come back out saying they did all this crap I didnt tell them to do and say they already did it so we have to pay for it. I never do.

17. Mar 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I love hearing stories like these... a little cash and some elbow grease, BAM!

I am stoked for you guys. Do I smell a road trip? :)

18. Mar 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    $90 for an effin oil change? Glad my 2011 comes with "toyot care" or whatever they call it.

19. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Glad the lightbulb is still shining brightly for you!! Good for you/him.

Yeah....and NO BANDAIDS!! Do it RIGHT the first time!

I know someone who stretches the intervals and lacks certain maintenance... well, guess what happened? (not on a tacoma - on a Jag)
    Basically, the timing belt broke and just about everything else they ignored over the years came together all at once....and they ended up replacing the engine completely - and still has other problems.

:facepalm:

Jags are NOT cheap to maintain or fix.

Same person who ignored going to the dentist over the years and now is facing root canal. :eek: Yeah, we've been reminding them over & over & over again. They never listen.

20. Mar 31, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    rrh_2

rrh_2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Devine texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 sr5 dc
    6" pro comp stage one lift ome 885's, 5100's,bhlm, billet grille, lights behind grille, k&n cai , tinted Led tails, tinted 3rd brake light, Lotek a pillar, color matched grille mirrors and door handles, trd seat covers, blacked out windows, color matched engine cover, in-dash flip out screen 2 10'' kicker subs
    just did all of these things. truck sounds and runs great hopefully my gas mileage will go back up i was only getting 12 mpg. i do have a question though what is the normal rpm when just at idle. it sounds like it is higher now

Products Discussed in

To Top