1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2" Lift Drive Shaft Vibration....so what?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Graham, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Oct 21, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    Graham

Graham [OP] Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    I am trying to determine if I don't do anything about my drive shaft vibration will it eventually lead to bigger problems and more $.

I have an 05 6 spd manual TRD Off-Road with 210K miles on it. My original leaf spring on the driver side broke (see pic) so I replaced them with a set of General Springs HD rear leaf springs (see pic) that gave the rear a 2" lift (see pic)

I am now the proud owner of a drive shaft shudder that is present at all engine rpm's! It is annoying and makes me slightly nervous. I have read all of the threads on fixes and it appears that the only real solution is a single piece drive shaft. I don't have the cash to spring for this and probably won't till late spring (taxes, tuition, etc).

What I haven't read is what if I do nothing? Will this create bigger problems down the road, like drive shaft failure, etc. Can I wait for spring to fix this or is impending doom just around the corner?

Also, Genereal springs has a 2" front lift kit and would that bring the drive shaft angle back to where the vibrations would disappear?

Any and all comments welcome!

broken LS.jpg
    New LS.jpg
    photo.jpg

2. Oct 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    Graham

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
  3. Oct 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    Carrier bearing shim is pretty cheap place to start

4. Oct 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    Graham

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, 2" of shim to match the lift?

5. Oct 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    Sorry man, I don't know how much, probably a lot less than 2". I'm pretty sure guys just start with 1/8" shim, check for vibes, if so add another one. There are some really good threads about driveline angle, pinon angle, cb shims, I would definitely start there, a one piece driveline is expensive and not a garunteed fix either. I've never done it to a taco, but on my F350 with 4" lift, I had about 1/2" spacer on carrier bearing.

6. Oct 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    They don't sell carrier bearing shims but they do sell axle shims. Carrier bearing drop is a spacer. Usually from 1/2" or more. I have an ARB CB spacer with a 2" rear lift. No vibes. Check wheelersoffroad.

7. Oct 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
  8. Oct 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    should do somethin about that and check your u-joints and slip yokes because its not fun being on the side of the road with both drive shafts blown. ask me how i know lol

9. Oct 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Did you end up separating the rear drive shaft during the leaf-pack install? Normally not necessary, but if you did, you may not have put it back together (the splines) the same way it was. This could cause a vibration.

10. Oct 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    Graham

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for the feed back! I will drop the CB with a drop kit to start.

I have read a suggestion on another thread to heavy retorque the u bolts on the rear leaf springs
    , but don't understand why this matters? Thoughts?

11. Nov 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    Graham

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Update (update posted on another thread as well)

I crawled under my truck to look around for anything amiss and immediately saw that my carrier bearing was trashed. The rubber housing was shredded. I purchased a new carrier bearing and 3 U-Joints for a total cost of approx $100. I had a buddy who is a mechanic and does moonlighting jobs on the side install them and problem solved. I now have zero drive shaft shudder/vibration. He charged me $100 to install, so for $200 the problem is gone. He said that a 2" lift should not be causing any issues and the problem was most likely mechanical in nature. The carrier bearing was bad and 2 of the U - Joints had cracks. Start with mechanical issues in the driveshaft first to locate the root cause of the problem before adding shims to the carrier bearing or the leaf springs. I did not have to shim anything and I am running nice and smooth now. I am a happy Taco owner again!

Products Discussed in

To Top