1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 new noises when towing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by beckettisgod, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Feb 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    beckettisgod

beckettisgod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Barcelona Red
    Fog light anytime mod, Black lower valence, In-channel AVS Ventvisors, drop-in K&N filter so far...
    My truck (05 trd sport, auto, 4.0L), which I've owned for only about a month now...has 93k miles on it and normally runs perfectly fine otherwise.

But today I was towing my big ass arctic cat atv up to deer camp to do some work and on the way up there, I encountered 2 new noises...

1. Now, the atv and the trailer combined may weigh about 1,000lbs. And when I had to climb a hill the truck would downshift normally, then make this chain-like sound...but drove normally otherwise. I just found this sound odd. Maybe someone has some ideas what that is or could be.

2. The other noise was when I entered the interstate and accelerated somewhat heavily and the truck would shift from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd, but before it shifted I heard this faint squeal over the sound of the TRD exhaust. Then 3rd to 4th it did it slightly as well. But it shifted smoothly, just as if I wasn't towing anything at all.

I know that's 2 separate issues but I didn't want to start 2 posts. I appreciate any insight...

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    tranny flush/service?maybe the belt on the engine?:notsure:

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    beckettisgod

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Fog light anytime mod, Black lower valence, In-channel AVS Ventvisors, drop-in K&N filter so far...
    Well, since I got the truck I've only put 3k miles on it. Is it safe to do a tranny flush if, say, the truck has never been flushed before? I've read conflicting arguments.

4. Feb 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    sure,i just did mine with a 106,200 on it for the first time.made a differance....not that i had any of your said issues though.

5. Feb 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    beckettisgod

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Cool, good to know...and thanks for your input. I may just be overanalyzing this since I just got the truck and it has higher miles than I would usually buy into. But I've had Toyotas since 2005 and never had a problem with the Tacoma at all...

To Top