1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 plug adapter into fire rated power cord?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Fiend13, May 26, 2017.

1. May 26, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    not sure if this is the right place to post so please move if necessary. I have a tv mounted to my wall along with wire hiding kit that allows the wire to be tucked away. So, the tv plugs into the kit adapter and the kit has the fire rated power cord to run through the wall and whatnot. My question is, the wire kit outlet that I installed behind the tv to plug it up only has one outlet and is being used by the tv. Can I put an adapter on that outlet that will allow me to plug in 2 things? I want to mount a sound bar on my wal but hide the wires. That's why I'm asking.

2. May 31, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Well, potentially you've got some real fire code issues. (that you may or may not care about.) Keeping in mind I work in big industrial buildings and the fire marshal doesn't mess around and I'm not the one that says what we can or can't do. We mount TV's in all of our conference rooms. Cutting a hole in the wall and running an extension cord through it would be a no go. Daisy chaining power cords isn't allowed either. Adding an adapter to an extension cord probably wouldn't fly either, but I've never done that so I can't say for sure.

With all that said, in my home I'd probably put the adapter on and not lose a minute of sleep. Of course all the stupid internet caveats apply. If you burn your house down, it ain't my fault. :cool:

3. Jun 1, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Lol. Yeah, I didn't want to run the tv cord through the wall since it isn't fire rated, and I don't want to put another hole in the wall with another wall kit for a sound bar. Just wondering if I could put a 2 plug adapter into a one plug outlet. Thanks for the info.

4. Jun 1, 2017 at 4:45 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Actually in an industrial building one of the concerns I've been told is that by cutting a hole in the wall you have breached the fire envelope. Fire could get into the walls and travel quickly to other floors. We install wall boxes all the time, but the hole is filled with a metal box and not left open. The other problem is with having a loose power cord is potentially drilling into the cord and causing a short. So, everything we do is in the walls is in flexible conduit.

But in residential where you are the installer, and won't sink a screw into the cord you just put in :D you'll be fine. If you're worried you could pick up an "old work" box at the home store and put a nice trim ring on for a more finished look.

5. Jun 1, 2017 at 6:47 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    That's what I have for the tv. I put in a metal box to run the fire rated plug through and put a trim around it. Same thing with where the chord comes out at the bottom.

6. Jun 1, 2017 at 7:08 PM
    Cazzwell

Cazzwell The Circuit Rider Signman

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky DCSB TRD Sport
    Stock.
    If you have an outlet at the base of your wall, its usually pretty easy, if its drywall, to add a new outlet up above. Just fish some romex from the bottom one up and wire in a new outlet. I used an "old work" angled recessed outlet and a mount that allows me to pull out and angle my tv side to side so its easier to get to the backside.

Just hope your house isn't balloon construction like mine (built 1910's). I can run a wire from basement to 3rd story attic on the exterior walls. Makes running a wire easy, but if it ever caught on fire... (knock on wood) ...it would burn to the ground in a heartbeat.

7. Jun 1, 2017 at 9:42 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Well, if it were my house I'd call it done :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top