1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

20 MPH Vibration Problems on 07 Tacoma Auto V6 Access Cad TRD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by adkins_t, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Dec 17, 2007 at 9:42 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I dont think it's a transmission problem. It feels like its coming from the drivetrain, and eveyrone that has found a way to fix it has done something to the drivetrain to do so. The 5sp auto is like silk. The only common demonenator between trucks and vibration is that it happens only in access and doublecabs, mainly in doublecabs. Based on most people's theory, it is a problem with the drive shaft angels and those angles are exagerated on teh longer doublecabs. I think you're just one of hte lucky ones that dont have the problem.

2. Apr 22, 2008 at 9:05 PM
    Spillwaybob

Spillwaybob Member

Member:
    Metairie, LA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab V-6 4X4 SR5 pkg.
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and found it when I was looking for information about the 20-22mph vibration. My truck is an '08 Access cab 4x4, V-6, 5-speed auto, SR5 pkg and has only 2,000 miles. The vibration has been in the truck since new and I took it in for the first oil change and gave them the details on the vibration and guess what....."we don't find any adnormal vibration in your truck.....no problem found" When slowing down or braking on a smooth blacktop road, when the speed passes through the 22-20mph range you feel a momentary shudder or high frequency vibration in the whole truck. Also can be felt at a steady 20-22mph on a smooth road. Since the vib. is high frequency, I would rule out wheels/tires/brakes because at that speed they are turning very slowly so I think it is the driveshaft. I notice that if the pickup bed is loaded with 200+ pounds, the problem is not there so I think it has something to do with the rear driveshaft angle. I notice many other posts on this site with owners all complaining about the same thing. Should I put in a complaint to Toyota or wait for them to come out with a fix?

3. Apr 23, 2008 at 3:18 AM
    adkins_t

adkins_t [OP] Member

Member:
    I'd put a complaint in to Toyota. While I haven't yet heard of anyone who's had their truck fixed by Toyota, I think Toyota will be more motivated as the complaints come in.

I've heard of owners putting one piece driveshafts in and/or shimming the carrier bearing to improve the vibration. I haven't tried those - partly as I'd like to see Toyota come up with the fix that they'll stand behind. If you take the driveshaft off and drive in FWD, there is no vibration. A dealer did this for me about a year ago (if you look back far enough in this thread you'll see the whole story).

It's definitely very common - many posts out there. Also, I randomly drove 2 other trucks on the lot at the dealer (in April, 2007) and they both did it too.

It's too bad - if my truck didn't have this issue I'd be fairly happy. However, because of it, I've told many prospective buyers to watch out if considering a Tacoma and for that matter, any Toyota product. I could look past my 98 Tacoma getting such frame rot at 9 years old (and 110k miles) that it was unsafe to drive. I could also look past the two TSBs on the new Tacoma that suggest they didn't make the truck that stout (tailgate and springs). I can't look past this issue...

4. Apr 23, 2008 at 4:32 AM
    Davidgaud

Davidgaud Member

Member:
    Hey my friend had the same problem about the vibration, they work on suspension if my memory is good...something like replacing the chokes...

5. Apr 23, 2008 at 12:59 PM
    Spillwaybob

Spillwaybob Member

Member:
    Metairie, LA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab V-6 4X4 SR5 pkg.
    Thanks for the info, guys. Think I'll wait for Toyota to come up with a fix. I've only put 2K miles on the truck and it is 6 months old so I have plenty of warranty left not including the power train warraanty. This is not something I can't live with......the vibs are mild and you can only feel it on a smooth blacktop street. I've almost gotten used to it but I do want it fixed when there is a fix.

6. Apr 25, 2008 at 12:11 PM
    Bucky Goldstein

Bucky Goldstein New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport
    I have an 07 Tacoma 2WD TRD Sport four door and I noticed the exact same vibration problem as soon as I bought it

It only happened when it downshifted to the lowest gear and it would vibrate to a stop
    now it's happening from the second lowest gear to a stop

it's getting worse and I'm a little concerned

anybody else?

7. Jul 27, 2008 at 3:28 AM
    tacomans

tacomans Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have the dreaded vibration at 20-30 mph and now at 60 mph. Toyota gave me the 'working on a fix, in 2 months we will have an answer. Guess what, no answer, Toyota corporate contact won't return my calls, dealership is of no help.

Toyota will pay for this, I'll continue to spread my word about how they treat their customers and everyone else that this has happened to will as well. They are a huge company but putting their head in the sand is not what I call 'good for buisness' . Its too bad I thought Toyota had me for life, now I'll do anything I can to take buisness away from them.

Sorry for the rant, I had to vent.

The strange thing with my truck is that if I drive in 4th gear no vibration, but when I put it in drive (5sp auto) vibration on demand ??

8. Jul 27, 2008 at 9:42 AM
    bluescoops

bluescoops Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 sport Blue
    i am a toyota mechaic in north carolina. Check with your dealerships because a new tsb has recently com out for a low speed vibration problem. i think it is a new trans mount but i haven't done one yet. when i get back to work i will try to get a copy to put up on the forum.

9. Jul 27, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    Bluescoops :thumbsup:is correct dated July 11 2008 T-SB 0132-08 Driveline Vibration Between 15-25 MPH

They have a updated rear trans mount available

Years 2005-2008 Tacoma
    Body Types: Access Cab,Double Cab
    Drive Types: 2WD,4WD
    Engines 1GR,2TR
    Transmission's 4AT,5AT
    VDS's JU62N,KU72N,LU42N,MU52N,TU22N,TU62N,TX22N,UU42N

10. Jul 27, 2008 at 7:49 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    awesome. do we have a link to the pdf of this TSB?

11. Jul 27, 2008 at 9:14 PM
    tacomans

tacomans Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks for the info, one step forward after several back. Thanks.

12. Jul 27, 2008 at 10:55 PM
    BeefTaco

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    I only have a copy in hand but I can see what I can do when i get back to work unless someone else puts something up. :D

13. Jul 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM
    adkins_t

adkins_t [OP] Member

Member:
    Thank you for bringing the TSB to our attention!!!!! I will be a much happier Tacoma owner if this issue gets corrected.

Now I just need to find a copy...

14. Aug 4, 2008 at 10:11 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Don't leave us hangiiiin':help:

15. Aug 4, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    BeefTaco

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    I have a pdf file that I sent a pm to have it put up on the TSB thread so it should be up there shortly. :)

16. Aug 4, 2008 at 7:13 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    I have a 96 Tacoma! And the steering wheel shakes like crazy if I go above 70

17. Aug 7, 2008 at 2:14 AM
    adkins_t

adkins_t [OP] Member

Member:
    I had the dealer (Classic Toyota, Mentor OH) perform the TSB yesterday. Their service manager remembered me from last Spring when I brought the issue to their attention. No arguments about the TSB - they ordered the parts last week and calle dme when they were in.

At first I thought the vibration was 95% better. However, as I neared home (30 miles), I still felt it at 20 mph. So the jury's still out - I don't think I have the shudder when slowing down through the 20 mph range, but I think I still have some vibration when I drive at 20 mph (just giving it enough gas to maintain speed.

I'll keep you posted.

18. Aug 7, 2008 at 5:26 AM
    Fishpig

Fishpig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lexington, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OFF ROAD DCLB
    Do you have a copy of the TSB

19. Aug 7, 2008 at 2:44 PM
    tacomans

tacomans Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport

Just wondering, before and after the tsb, if you drive your truck in 4th gear instead of 5th gear does the vibration lessen at 20 mph? I'm assuming you have a auto trans.

Mine will drive good around town in 4th (overdrive locked out), but vibrates badly at 20 mph when in 5th gear(drive). On the highway I get rough transitions between 4th-5th gears.

20. Aug 7, 2008 at 3:26 PM
    adkins_t

adkins_t [OP] Member

Member:
    Unfortunately I never did get a copy of the TSB - either from the dealer or off the internet. I knew enough from what's posted here to get the dealer to find it in their system...

My truck is the access cab, V6, automatic, 4x4, TRD package, and I've had the spring TSB done. I noticed the 20 mph problem regardless of what gear I was in. I can tell you that when the dealer took the drive shaft off last Spring and had me drive with the 4WD engaged (basically FWD), absolutely no vibration.

I think I'm reasonably happy with the TSB outcome. Before - everytime I went through 20 mph I felt the vibration/shudder and it drove me nuts. Now (in the 24 hrs I've had it) I don't really notice much.

Products Discussed in

To Top