1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

20 MPH Vibration Problems on 07 Tacoma Auto V6 Access Cad TRD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by adkins_t, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Dec 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    TacoMag01

TacoMag01 New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road
    I have an 07 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road V6 with the auto 5 speed exhibiting the same symptoms. Roaring in the transmission at highway speeds with vibration, with pronounced shaking 5-20mph.

There was some hardened tar slung on the drive shaft that the dealer technician named as the culprit at first. It wasn't much, but he said it threw the drive shaft out of balance.

I was skeptical, but agreed to let them clean the shaft and then reseal the Rear Diff. they said was damaged by the shaft being out of balance and was leaking. They also recommended cleaning the throttle body for the vibration and a tune up. All things I know can cause a rough idle or vibration at low speeds.

The dealer completed the work put the truck back together and test drove, only to find the vibration was still there. They are now recommending replacing the U-joints, which was my suspicion all along. I will post an update with the resolution when there is one.

2. Dec 20, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    TacoMag01

TacoMag01 New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    U joints were the culprit. Guess I could have saved myself some money if I walked into the dealership and told them to replace the U joints. You'd think they'd have thorough technicians that are able to accurately diagnose an issue like that.

3. Jun 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    manucristian

manucristian New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06' Tacoma
    Hello guys, new here. If you are looking for the shaking from 5 to 20 mph whether accelerating or braking then you might take a look at the u-joints on your driveshaft. Just fixed mine today, what a relief it was driving me nuts. My u-joint by the tranny had rusted bearings and on one side it was showing where the problem was. Now it is running like a champ. Good Luck11111

4. Sep 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    gr8tacsprt10

gr8tacsprt10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
    Same exact issue I got with my 2012 model.. Will check the u-joints. Thanks for posting

5. Sep 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    manucristian

manucristian New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06' Tacoma
    I have an 06' trd prerunner with the ame issue which i resolved by replacing the u-joint on the driveshaft. Hope this helps.

6. Dec 22, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    HighTideTaco

HighTideTaco The Way Life Should Be

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport
    Swapped Hoods (!!!), DTRL Toggle Switch, Disabled seatbelt/ignition chime, Disabled lock/unlock beeps, Installed D-Rings in bed, Debadged "Toyota" on transom (now just one line straight across), Removed mud flaps, Removed TRD Stickers, Custom aluminum "ladder rack" with CB mount (Wilson 2000 Trucker; Uniden 520), WeatherTech; Just getting started!
    Sub'd.

Problem just developed for me at 40K mi. I'll have to check out the u joints.

Love this friggin forum!

7. Dec 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    erion109

erion109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT
    Weathertech FR & RR, DDM Tuning HID 55W 5000k Bi-Xenon, ARE topper, Yellow painted fog-lamp mod, anytime fog-lamp, Ipod interface, Red Top OPTIMA, Bilstein 5100s and 1.5 Toytech AAL, Redline Hoodstruts and EZdown tailgate.
    My 06 Prerunner has had a vibration around 1500 RPM's, levels out around 2ish and back around 2200. I noticed it around 54k and here recently has gotten progressively worse. I had a shop check the drive line angles and they were good. The only maintenance I've done recently was change the rear diff fluid and roughly a month later is when I really noticed it getting bad and now with the vibration is a droning/rumbling sound. Thinking I used the wrong fluid ( Valvoline 75W90, GL-5 and 4 oz of friction modifier), I replaced it again. I called the dealer to buy the oil and two different dealers said they do t sell the oil. They only buy in bulk and if I wanted to buy the fluid, I'd have to purchase the service that went along with it. Not liking the answer, I found that CRC makes the fluid for Toyota and NAPA carries it in an 80W90. Unfortunately another fluid change didn't make any difference. Today I decided to check the vibrations while the truck was in park and I can feel the vibration, but less noticeable at those same RPM ranges. So maybe a motor mount? I'm going to check tomorrow and see what the mount looks like. Any advice is appreciated!

8. Dec 9, 2013 at 5:22 AM
    TacoMag01

TacoMag01 New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    I hate to split hairs, but you say the vibration is rpm related and not mph related. I would expect something drive train related to be dependent upon mph and not rpm.

If it's rpm dependent, and the roar sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment it may very well be the motor mount. If you put the car in park/neutral and take the rpm up is the roar/vibe present?

If it's mph dependent and it's only present when moving do yourself a favor and crawl under there and give the drive shaft a good move in every direction. It should move very little. Also if it's mph related it could be balancing, transmission, or transfer case.

9. Dec 9, 2013 at 5:49 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  10. May 27, 2014 at 6:31 AM
    docjan

docjan New Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5

I have the same issue on my 2006 Tacoma, if its in 4th gear (OD) there is no vibration. Where you able to get your truck fixed?

Products Discussed in

To Top