1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$200 or less accessories that changed your world.

Discussion in 'Deals & Coupons' started by mlees, May 12, 2017.

1. Jun 8, 2017 at 8:03 AM
    facefirst

facefirst Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off Road DCSB
    I'm digging them. The handle design is much nicer than my other straps. Agreed that they're long but I'm cool with that.

BassAckwards[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jun 11, 2017 at 7:25 PM
    nxcess

nxcess Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma MT 4x4
    OVTuned
    Added 4x D-Rings to the bed. Made strapping things down easier.
    [​IMG]

3. Jun 11, 2017 at 7:30 PM
    02YotaGuy

02YotaGuy Guy With A Red 80 Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    94 FZJ80
    Bumper, Winch, 315s, Sliders, OME HD lift, Custom rear swingout, roof rack, drawers, way too much to list.
    I got a pioneer DVD head unit with all install stuffs for just under $200... It changed my commute at least... Bluetooth is a must for me.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  4. Jun 12, 2017 at 4:46 AM
    micwillia

micwillia Nonstop Tinkerer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cental Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Turd gen Inferno Taco TuRD OR DCSB 6MT, '96 Mustang V6 Vert 5MT
    Cubby Covers, TRD Pro Exhaust, BAK RevolverX2, Pro Skid, Speaker Upgrade, OBA/W, CB, 255/85R16
    Where did you get these? Did you have to order through Toyota or can they be found at a hardware store?

5. Jun 12, 2017 at 4:20 PM
    nxcess

nxcess Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma MT 4x4
    OVTuned
    Bought the d-rings from Amazon. You'll need a t55 torx to remove the bolt, a drill bit to widen the d-ring hole, and a file to remove the washer on the bolt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGXSNC0

6. Jul 8, 2017 at 6:05 AM
    IvanCard

IvanCard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB SPORT(sold), 17 DCSB OR
  7. Aug 27, 2017 at 11:54 PM
    FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4

That mirror is incorrectly adjusted. You don't need those silly little blind spot mirrors if your side mirrors are correctly adjusted.

You should NOT see the side of your truck in the side mirrors. You should not be able to see DIRECTLY BEHIND you with correctly adjusted side mirrors. They should be angled outwards, so that the fields of view of your three mirrors are continuous, not overlapping.

This mod is absolutely free.

8. Aug 28, 2017 at 2:21 AM
    Rob Daman

Rob Daman The Taco Formerly Known as Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    17 OR 6MT
    a lot
    I'm happy to reply to your points. Instead of CAPS I went with color and bold fonts.

With my main side mirrors I do not see anything directly behind me whatsoever. I see no point to see the side of my truck driving forward. The driver's side "blind spot mirror" is used to cover smaller lowered cars and motorcycle riders that can pop up quickly. Since you don't own the "silly" mirror you may not be aware it's a wide angle mirror. I'm in California and lane splitting is legal. I'm not sure what state you're in but they zip by pretty quick when they shouldn't be at times.

Now for the passenger main side mirror, again I don't see the side of my truck either. Also I'm sure you're also aware that's a wide angle mirror so "objects appear closer..." The blind spot mirror on that side is tilted down and yes it's showing the side of the truck (apparent in my video) and the rear tire. I use when parking along a curb and reversing so I can see how close I am to the curb or parking line. I got spoiled from the fancier cars when the mirror tilted down in reverse but alas the Tacomas don't do that. I don't use that "silly" mirror as you say for lane changes and it's not necessary since the factory mirror is already a wide angle.

I should have emphasized in my video since the OEM passenger side is a wide angle mirror, there's no real need to add another. However since the driver's side is not wide angle a small mirror is indeed an added benefit (in my opinion of course). There are Tacoma owners swapping out their side mirror glass for RAV4 mirrors since there's a built in blind spot mirror.
    If you like your free mod and you're comfortable with it, hey it's cool. But I'm happy to spend $2 to avoid an accident. :cheers:

9. Aug 28, 2017 at 3:48 AM
    Canadianguy91

Canadianguy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    I don't have the same 'silly' mirrors, but I did add the small circle ones. They are great! I had them on my last vehicle and they seriously have saved my ass. With those and the side mirror yes I can see part of the side of my truck and back and out on a big angle. Why wouldn't you? Makes parking easier as you can see more of the ground, is safer if a guy is sitting in your blind spot.
    Best bang for your buck easily

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Rob Daman and ShemRahBuck like this.
  10. Aug 28, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    FrayAdjacent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Why wouldn't I? Because I'm parking a lot less than I'm driving forward, and if I need to see in that way, I can lean either way. In fact, I back into spots at work every day, and do that. At least for now. I'm still getting used to and trusting the backup camera. Thing is, if your mirrors are correctly adjusted, when you're driving in situations around other traffic, you don't have to look over your shoulder, or rely on add-ons to see where you need to see. (big instance is when I'm merging onto a freeway. Once I get down the ramp and I'm running parallel with the far right lane, I don't have to turn my head to see if there's someone next to me. My mirrors show me everything I need to see)

The ONLY situation I can see where your side mirrors should be angled more inward would be when you're towing something that obstructs the view from your center mirror. In that situation, those little convex mirrors could be handy.

But to each his own.

Waynebarkr likes this.
  11. Aug 28, 2017 at 4:47 PM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    how do you see your blind spot in your side mirrors?

12. Aug 28, 2017 at 4:56 PM
    FrayAdjacent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4

By angling them outward enough that there ISN'T one. At least not one that would be in the immediately adjacent lane. I've done this since I was 16. I'm 40 now, and I've never had an incident where I wished "gee, I wish I had a little mirror on my mirror so I can see where my mirror isn't pointing".

Waynebarkr and jondeaux like this.
  13. Aug 28, 2017 at 5:02 PM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    MrImYo Mirror relocation bracket
    IMG_2936.jpg

14. Aug 28, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Then maybe give it a go

15. Aug 28, 2017 at 11:26 PM
    Kittenmittens4U

Kittenmittens4U Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Xtracab TRD 3.4l Evergreen Pearl
    Airaid MIT w/deckplate mod Grey wire mod 265/75/r16 Duratracs 2.5 Extended Travel King Coilovers Built Right Fabrication Uca's OME Dakars W/AAL and 10' Bilstein 5125's Toytec U bolt flip and extended brake line.
    I don't care how well adjusted your mirrors are, for the sake of motorcycle riders everywhere turn your damn head and look before you get over! Also if you work and park in a busy area like I do there is always some jerk who feels the need to walk by and knock my mirror out of place, I'm also driving a 98 with manual mirrors so adjustments are a PITA.

16. Sep 5, 2017 at 10:36 PM
    Baggerboy11

Baggerboy11 Member

Member:
    CA
    Bed stiffeners for $115 form @At The Helm life changing having these extra tie down spots.
    Also has a bottle opener
    IMG_4477.jpg

17. Sep 12, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    Beardedviking93

Beardedviking93 Member

Member:
    $20 at a local closeout store fits the bed perfect

shopping.jpg

18. Sep 18, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    JeffB

JeffB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    N.E. CT
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
  19. Sep 18, 2017 at 7:29 AM
    TheCookieMonster

TheCookieMonster cookies!!!!!!!!!!!

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    1995 Hi Lux 22re 4x4 5speed
    Michelin MS2 K&N drop in filter
  20. Oct 23, 2017 at 12:32 PM
    Tantaco37

Tantaco37 Yes those are Cheech and Chong yard gnomes!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Had a 2017 TRD Off-road, now a GMC AT4
    Had these A.R.E. Overland Truck cap, Cover King Tactical seat covers, OME BP-51 full suspension and dakars, SPC adjustable UCA's, Husky Floor Mats, Mobtown Off-road sliders, Cali Raised light bar and ditch lights and bed stiffeners, mobtown off-road front ifs skid, uniden bearcat CB Amd firestick. Now a super fancy stock truck!
    That’s f’n genius!

Products Discussed in

To Top