1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 miles, dust under air filter??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by skidooman, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Sep 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    skidooman

skidooman [OP] I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Hey guys, about a month ago I bought a brand new 2011 Tacoma. Recently I took it out on some dirt roads, fairly dusty as it is August in the Nevada desert. A few days after getting home, for giggles I took the air filter out just to see the carbon filter I have read about on here. Well, what I found was very distrubing. There was what I beleive to be a serious amount of dust between the air filter and the carbon filter. Enough that when I put my finger through it, you could clearly see a layer of dust on my finger, and the black plastic was shiny again. I checked the seal around the filter and the "box", they both looked ok, I also wiggled the connection the "box" and it seemed tight. I took it in to my dealer and they had a service writer look at it, and he said it looked ok to him...:eek: On my 05 dodge I just traded I never in the 92000 miles I owned it had near that amount of dust between the air box and turbo. My question, is, does that carbon filter act as a secondary filter,(is the media fine enough to catch dust?). Also if I replaced my intake with something aftermarket would it do away with that connection with those cheesy plastic tabs and clamps. Thanks for the help.

2. Sep 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    skidooman

skidooman [OP] I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Noone has any help for me? Anyone had similar findings?

3. Sep 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I bought mine used at 41K. I immediately replaced the air filter with a Fram filter. I thought that the Fram didn't seem to seal as good as the one that came out (probably original filter), but I went with it. Later, I opened the box and could see where one corner of the filter wasn't pressing down hard enough to seal out all the dirt. I went down to the dealer and bought an OEM air filter. It was very difficult to clamp the airbox lid down with the OEM unit. I think the rubber material is thicker. No problems last time I checked.

The dirt being in there is NOT normal and the carbon filter isn't designed to filter dirt. I would insist the dealer change the filter or buy a new one and put it in there. Somethings not right.

Products Discussed in

To Top