1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001-04 Tacoma Frame Rust Inspection/Replacement Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by palmxp3, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Apr 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    dabus47

dabus47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Canton
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5 TRd
    I have an 02 as well and took it into the dealer today and he told me that they will check the frame but nothing can be done if it is a bad frame or not... is there any way around this or is it just the luck of my vin number?

2. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    Messyt

Messyt Well-Known Member

Member:

I will look into that, thanks for the tip. I had a perfect experience with my 98. I juat dont want this 02 to start nickle and diming me like a stupid american vehicle

3. Apr 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    jodjr

jodjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6
    Frame was ordered today. Should be here in 12 days. I have the use of a Rav 4 until the project is compleated. He said as they dismantle the truck they will notify me of what I should replace. I need a new front bumper cover for sure and he said I might want to have the timing belt done too...free labor. My truck has 50k miles but still may go with it.

4. Apr 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    ric9

ric9 Member

Member:

I guess you bought this truck in the last year. If so, the previous owner needed to have it inspected by 10/31/2010. That person knew about this and if they missed the deadline then they unloaded it on you unsuspecting.

I would call the "Toyota customer experience" office. 800-3314331
    Tell them the vin and that you are the current registered owner and you want to check on the extended frame warranty. They can confirm whether or not it was inspected and whether it needed to be inspected. Because if the truck was registered in another state before the inspection deadline notices were issued there might be a chance.

Also, I was told that if the Tacoma originated in a state other than those classified as severe winter states and then was re-registered later in an at-risk state then it might not be subject to the inspection rules exactly.

5. Apr 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    Dutchman

Dutchman Active Member

Member:
    Up North
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7 5sp SC 4X4
    Had my '02 inspected (for the first time) 10/2011 a hole was found - frame replaced under warrantee.

6. Apr 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    ric9

ric9 Member

Member:
    Good to know. Toyota had extended the inspection deadline for some of the northern states in their list. NY is now the last one: 12/31/12. Which state was your Tacoma registered in?

Thanks.

7. Apr 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    dabus47

dabus47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Canton
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5 TRd
    Yes i bought in november last year and love it. Thanks for the advice helps me out, im going to get on it asap.

8. Apr 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    jodjr

jodjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6
    My truck should be done on Wednesday. New front end parts , rear springs and all the brake lines included free.
    I'm having the timing belt kit installed and a new chrome front bumper on my dime. Looking forward to having the truck back...

9. Apr 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    Stoic

Stoic But I'm not bitter

Member:
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner SR5 V6 3.4L
    I just bought a used 04 PreRunner and didn't know about the frame problems. It's pretty much stock except for the audio and now new shocks and struts I had put on just a couple of days ago. I don't know the service history but it was a "one owner" car and looks to be in great shape. I plan on taking it in to the dealer and asking about this issue but am I going to have problems because of the non-stock changes?

Update: Called the dealer this morning and gave him my VIN. My Tacoma is not on the list. Whew!

10. Sep 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    taco96

taco96 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    96 4wd ext. cab 4cyl 268k
    add-a-leaf
    Did you lose money on the buyback without a front bumper?

11. Sep 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    taco96

taco96 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    96 4wd ext. cab 4cyl 268k
    add-a-leaf
    Did your agent say what would happen if the oem was not there? Say a TRD truck showed up without a diff locker?

12. Sep 7, 2014 at 12:01 PM
    marypoppins

marypoppins New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma
    I have a 2002 Tacoma that I purchased at an Audi dealership in New Hampshire in August 2011. I was never made aware of any recall, or limited service campaign, on the frame and it looked pretty OK to me when I bought it. A few weeks ago when I went to have it inspected I was told that it would not pass since the frame was so rusted. After researching I found that there was a limited service campaign for a frame replacement for my trucks VIN number. I was able to obtain paper work from a Toyota dealership in New Hampshire dated 4/13/11 that states “rust perforation found, frame replacement required”. I contacted Toyota headquarters in California and was told that the expiration on the recall was 3/31/11. Through this forum I have found that these expiration dates differ by state and that New York was extended the longest. I live in New York and registered the truck in New York in August 2011. I cannot find the deadline specific to NY in the documents on the NHTSA website, only mention of the deadline on forums. Corporate remains adamant that the deadline for NY was 3/31/11, and without proper documentation I have no ground on which to argue. The issues I am having would possibly be resolved with the answers to two questions: did the limited service campaign end in 3/31/11 or 12/31/11 for NY, or NH; and, if the deadline was extended does the truck not having been inspected in NY specifically still allow for the warranty enhancement?

13. Jan 11, 2017 at 3:08 AM
    Scharm

Scharm New Member

Member:
    I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma extended cab truck. Original owner, and always had service at dealership where I bought it. I had dealership look at frame a couple years ago. But nothing was repaired or replaced do you think that dealership would have treated frame with protective during a regular service? I will call today to see if they have any information on recall replacement. Seeing signs of major rust now. Bought truck July 2003. So if 15 year warranty applies I should still be able to get this replaced. Correct? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

14. Jan 11, 2017 at 6:10 AM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now
    Are you in one of the cold weather states identified earlier in this post? If so, as the original owner you should have been notified of the service campaign/extended warranty by mail at the address on record with Toyota. The undercoating was required to maintain the extended warranty for these owners, although Toyota has replaced frames in states outside of this group where undercoating was not required. It is not likely that they sprayed the vehicle durning a regular service visit. Mine had to be scheduled in advance and required the truck to be left for the day. You would have also noticed the smell of the coating.

Have the dealer inspect the frame. Start with that. Surface rust is not the same as rust perforation of the frame. They will test the frame at a number of key locations where the perforations are most likely to occur. You may also want to check with Toyota HQ for more information. Do not refer to this as a recall. It is a service campaign program/extended warranty on the frame.

BTW, this is an ancient thread. Search the site and you will find many more current discussions on this topic.

15. Jan 11, 2017 at 10:15 AM
    Scharm

Scharm New Member

Member:
    I am not in a cold weather state. Unsure if treatment was done. On service log in 2010 it says inspection was made, but no one said anything to us about it that I know of. I'm the one that takes the vehicle for service.

16. Jan 15, 2017 at 11:41 AM
    Scharm

Scharm New Member

Member:
    Went to Toyota on Friday. Frame was inspected and deemed need replacing. Frame has been ordered (it may take 2 to 6 months). When frame arrives truck frame will take 2 or 3 days to be replaced. This will include a rental and no cost. Thank you for your help and advice. Truck was purchased and has remained in the state of TN.

17. Jan 15, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    Wow, that's really something, and very good news for you. It will be like a new truck after, and good for many years to come. Many owners with new frames also take rust prevention measurers into their own hands, and treat the frame to keep it pristine. That's probably something I would do if in your shoes.

Good luck with the replacement, and keep us updated on the progress and results.

18. Mar 10, 2017 at 2:58 AM
    Scharm

Scharm New Member

Member:
    Update. Frame was replaced last week. Estimate was 4 days. Took 5 days and Toyota supplied a rental. Wednesday 7 am until Monday 10 am. Dropped off the day before, so they would have it first thing Wednesday. 7:30 pm Saturday it was still not completed. They also replaced the spare tire carrier that had also been recalled under warranty just recently. Took approx 2 months for the frame to come in after it was ordered. They estimated 2-6 months for part to come in.

19. Mar 10, 2017 at 6:43 AM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    Sounds great. You are the envy of those here not eligible for replacement for whatever reason. Take care of that new frame!

Did you get any pictures of the work?

20. Mar 10, 2017 at 2:09 PM
    cruisedon66

cruisedon66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Near St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Extra Cab 2WD A/T
    Defrost mirrors, compass/temp display rear view mirror, rear wiper on camper shell, trans.cooler.

Products Discussed in

To Top