1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 1st gen ext cab subwoofer.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by "Taco"Tuesday, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Feb 25, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Back when I had my 97 extracab, I used the cargo bay under one of the rear seats for a 10" woofer. I had to cut into the opening a little, and sealed off the inside with dynamat, but it worked quite nicely. No one ever sat back there, but the speaker was recessed so you could have sat on the fold-down seat and gotten a nice butt massage.

The best part was that it took up exactly zero space and looked 100% stock.

Plus, when I sold the truck, I was able to take out the speaker, and replace the frame and access door so you couldn't even tell there used to be a subwoofer there.

spencerjg72 and boostedka like this.
  2. Feb 26, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    wilrun4fun

wilrun4fun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    North Central Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited, 4x4, access cab, 4.7L, auto
    sort of piggy backing a question here. I just picked up the 8" version of that sub. In the rear when you remove the seats do the mounting ears also remove from the back wall of the cab easily?

3. Feb 26, 2017 at 11:26 AM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  4. Feb 26, 2017 at 11:35 AM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    Any reason why you didn't mount it under one of the seats? I mounted my Kenwood low profile sub under the driver's seat and it's a lot thicker than the Rockville one.

5. Feb 26, 2017 at 11:41 AM
    McMash

McMash The only thing better than light bars? Sarcasm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Gig Harbor, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma AC TRD 4x4
    That's what I did with my Kenwood. Clean, out of sight and out of the way. Access/Extra cabs are tight as it is... not sure why you'd put it in the back.

6. Feb 26, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    How does the Kenwood stack up to the Rockville? I was going to get the Rockville (as it was cheaper than the Kenwood L.P. option) but I didn't like how it looked (and the fact that I've never heard of the company before). It looks like it has more wattage than the Kenwood option.

7. Feb 26, 2017 at 1:51 PM
    McMash

McMash The only thing better than light bars? Sarcasm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Gig Harbor, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma AC TRD 4x4
    I haven't had any listening experience with the Rockville, but I love the KSC-SW11. It fit my needs perfectly: Something small enough for under-seat mount, quality and with more focus on filling in the low-end rather than over-powered bass. I bought two initially (one under each seat), but after installing the 1st under the driver seat it really completed the sound more than I was expecting. I still haven't even installed the 2nd one.

So it depends on what you're looking for. Giant, loud, truck-shaking bass? Look elsewhere. Strong yet balanced low-end for all kinds of music, easily controllable, and that is out of sight and not in the way? Bingo.

8. Feb 26, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    OleRomer

OleRomer Professional Vagabond

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Utah/Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma –- Ole Rømer
    ICON 2.5 Ext Travel C/O, Camburg UCAs, AllPro Expo Leaf Springs, ICON 2.0 RR Shocks, ARB/RAT/BAMF/CaptureColorado Armor, Dual Optimas Red/Yellow, 133w Solar System, Custom Bed Build, etc., etc.
    That Rockville one looks like a perfect fit between the rear seats. This may be the solution I've been looking for to fit behind the fridge. Sounds quality is a good compromise for the size of the enclosure?

9. Feb 27, 2017 at 6:22 AM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    I have my 4 channel amp under the driver's seat. Plus it seems to get better sound quality not under the seat.

Products Discussed in

To Top