1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001-2004 frame rust campaign - not as good as it sounds

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jrb01, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Feb 15, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    jrb01

jrb01 [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 stock
    I own a 2002 Tacoma, originally shipped and bought in OH, that has a good amount of frame rust. Took the truck to my dealer, it passed, but did not get an undercoating as my dealer said Toyota would be in contact to schedule. That was 3mos ago. Called Toyota Corporate today to inquire about this and was advised that even though I own a 2002 truck, my VIN doesn't fall into the campaign for frame rust. :eek: Toyota is opening a case and will provide me a decision if they will coat the frame, extend the warranty, or do nothing. So, now I get to sit and wait for a decision and if it is "no", then I am stuck with a truck that has a frame rusting away that Toyota will do nothing about. So, if you own a 2002-2004 Tacoma, be wary that this is not a true campaign that is covering all trucks. Be wary.

2. Feb 15, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    wow thats bs. i hate poor customer service. if somone says they will do somthing and then does not fallow through. makes me mad! im pulling for you

3. Feb 15, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours

Where was it "shipped" from?

4. Feb 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    jrb01

jrb01 [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 stock
    My truck was shipped from NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA to a dealership in NE Ohio from where I purchased it from new.

5. Feb 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    Tic Taco

Tic Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
  6. Feb 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    dude that sucks.im growing tired of this shit with toyota.im fighting with my dealer for 8 months about my rusted 08 frame as well as other warranty work needed.im jumping ship and buying anything that isnt toyota.they went to the shitter.so fukn sad

7. Feb 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    Worm

Worm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks for postin that up bud, definatly some good info to know about. Good luck with the battle.

8. Feb 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (190k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ K&N air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I'd be interested to know which trucks in that year range qualify, and why? My truck was also built in Fremont, CA, and shipped to a dealer in Massachusetts where I bought it new. I lived there for awhile prior to moving to the southeast.

When I recently learned about the frame rust issues I called my local dealership to inquire. I've had several addresses since purchasing the truck so I figured maybe the letter didn't make it to me. They asked for the VIN, put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back to say my truck isn't included. Didn't even offer to take a look at it, just said it didn't qualify for the campaign...

9. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    jrb01

jrb01 [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 stock
    Well, I received an answer, so to speak, today on my issue. Toyota "Customer Care" (using term loosely) did not have the courtesy to even call me back and just sent my concern to the dealer I had the truck inspected at. The dealer left me a voicemail today stating, "The Ohio EPA has not approved the rustproofing yet. There's no timeframe if/when they'll approve it." and then they hung up. Not exactly feeling like a valued customer here.

10. Feb 16, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    Tic Taco

Tic Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Very sorry & sad to say that this appears
    to be a sign of things to come.

My old friend Toyota - where have you gone?

11. Feb 18, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    KB123

KB123 Active Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Doublecab 4WD
    Hang in there...I live in Kentucky and just got a notice from Toyota Motor sales 2 days ago that they had opened Kentucky to the frame coating coverage..there was also some verbage (I need to read it again to make sure...) that maybe Toyota would now be opening the buyback program to 2001 to 2004 similar to what they did on the '95 to 2000..not sure if anyone else got the same mailing..

I went through the same nonsense 9 months ago on my 2001. Didn't want the frame replacement because who knows what gremlins will pop up and Toyota doesn't warrant the frame retrofit...just the warranty on the frame iteself. I complained to Toyota, NHTSA, etc etc, Basically, got told that the frame wasn't safe to drive and I needed to have them replace the frame..take it or leave it. So I agreed to the frame swap since, WTF else were my options..wait for the thing to disintegrate at 70 mph??? I haven't had any issues yet....Funny though, I got the mailing 2 days ago that I needed to bring my truck in for an inspection etc etc after they had replaced the frame 9 months ago...either Toyota can't track service history on VINs or the "new" frame may potentially have issues as well...will give it an inspection later this spring after the winter snow/salt applications and go in to the dealer for another inspection...if there's holes in the new frame, get ready...

12. Feb 20, 2010 at 3:53 AM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    03 2WD 2.4L Tacoma Reg Cab
    Chrome Bumpers F&R, Grille & Corner Lights, Wheel Skins, Red/Clear LED taillights, Remote start, PDL, Cruise, K&N, All Kenwood, DNX-5120 6.1" NAV/TRAFFIC/DTV/DVD/XM/BLUETOOTH/USB/IPOD/SUB/rear cam, Tint, Air Band radio, Class 3 Hitch with 4/7 pin harness, Transmission Cooler, Red Top Battery, "Deck Plate" mod.
    Had my frame inspected during an oil change a while back and had not heard anything in a while.
    My frame did pass the inspection BTW

Almost a year to the day, I got my letter.

Massachusetts is now OK for doing the undercoating, and my truck is covered until 2018. :)

13. Feb 20, 2010 at 4:13 AM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Thats rediculous that toyota is going to give you the run around on their product that they have acknowledged has a serious defect. If your frame is that rusted i would continue to call them, if they still do nothing raise hell and see what happens.

Good Luck, i hope that they get their act together.

14. Sep 27, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    tacforce

tacforce Member

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4wd
    Had the same run around from dealer about inspecting the frame, after calling toyota corporate, the dealer called and explained that frame spray treatment not ready yet, that was in june, now September, I called dealer last week got the run around, so went in person that day,(calling dealer gets no where), need to go in person, finally they inspected the frame which took about an hour, frame passed, just had truck sprayed this week, got a loan car for three days, had the truck back for couple of days now, black oilly goo still moist, that smells when the exhaust system gets hot. 2001 tacoma, Columbus OHIO.

15. Sep 28, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Toyota case worker told me you are intitled to one free frame inspection a year, I am in Nebr where we use alot of salt and my frame is clean, but thought that for preventive maintance they might treat it no such luck, I'll just have to stay on top of cleaning it in winter months.

16. Sep 29, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    Toyota TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, ARE Series II Lid,
    Wow Jrb01, I have a 2003 double cab, had it inspected, it passed and scheduled the appointment for the rust proofing, no problem, got a rental car. Toyota paid for everything. I know 2 other guys that had it done in my area with no problem.

17. Sep 29, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    Toyota TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, ARE Series II Lid,
    doug2001 to bad your not in NJ, The dealer by me has the frames on a skid strapped, at least 10 of them brand new.

18. Sep 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    I just learned that they only treat the frame in certain states... I don't know if Ohio is one of them. Mine passed in Kansas and didn't receive any treatment.

19. Sep 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    fireman_343

fireman_343 Ultimate TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Columbus, OHIO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Dlb Cab
    Viper Alarm, XD Series Wheels, Pioneer touch screen radio/nav system.
    Ohio is one of them! I just had my 01 DC done last month! My frame still stinks of the stuff! Haha

20. Sep 29, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    Well then there you go...

To Top