1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 3.4L Power Steering Pump Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by rictor, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Jun 11, 2017 at 10:02 AM
    rictor

rictor [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    texas
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd
    Ted locking rear diff
    Good afternoon,

I'm attempting to replace my power steering pump myself, however I'm running into a snag. Everything had been going smoothly. I took out the air intake, the pully/belt, the bolts mounting it to the brace broke free easily. Where I'm running into a problem is the bolt that connects the pressure hose to the bottom of the power steering. I cannot get it to break free. I'm using a 15/16 wrench on the top hex nut attached to the power steering to prevent it from turning, but even with a breaker bar I can't seem to get the bottom nut to remove. I have a hard time seeing under the pump, there isn't something else I need to do first is there? And I assume it's not a reverse threaded bolt? I was using this as a guide and I figure it would have mentioned it.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/maintenance/ps_pump/

Been soaking the bolt in liquid wrench/wd40/etc - any other tips somebody can give? Seems I always get stuck on the "easy" parts lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave

UPDATE: Got it off, just took me getting pissed off and hulking it. It wasn't reverse threaded nor was there anything else to do.

Updated question: That connection part, that bolts to the powersteering on the bottom, the pressure hose. After putting in the new power steering pump and putting that same monster of a bolt back on - it still has a little wiggle in it, it's not lock tight... is this normal? It's very little movement but still, on a pressure hose I'd imagine they wanted it tight tight?

UPDATE: It ended up spewing power steering fluid everywhere ;) Ended up needing a gasket that was definitely not on it when I removed it. I'm thinking the reason the bolt was torqued down so hard was because when I had the hose replaced maybe they lost it and that was their way of getting it tight without the gasket. Either way, up and running. Leaving this up incase anybody else has similar questions maybe they'll find this thread. :p :) Don't mind my newbieness!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    OctAngel and Mcfly6667 like this.
  2. Dec 26, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    Mcfly6667

Mcfly6667 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2001 Impulse Red Tacoma 3.4 4wd SR5 TRD
    Thanks for the post, even though you figured it out yourself.
    I’m about to dive into this myself.
    What were your symptoms that led you Tom this.
    I’m getting buzzing/whining always when cold...more and more lately even when warm.
    Looking into the possibility of an obstructed screen/filter and maybe not a failed PS pump.
    We’ll see

3. Dec 27, 2019 at 1:00 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    If that was the banjo bolt copper crush washers on both sides

4. Jan 16, 2024 at 3:41 PM
    OctAngel

OctAngel New Member

Member:
    The high-pressure steering line has been my only problem with detaching from the power steering pump on my 3.4L. How can I remove that banjo bolt? I managed to get it somewhat loose but the problem was that the line itself moved at the same time as the bolt and i dont want to risk on ripping the pressure line with too much force from the breaker bar

Products Discussed in

To Top