1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 Frame Rust Suggested Parts Replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by chris1pat, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jun 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    chris1pat

chris1pat [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4
    Hello all:

I am new to this Forum and have a couple questions relating to frame rust on my 2001 Xtracab 4X4 with about 50K miles. Today I was notified that it flunked the frame inspection. The dealership said it will be 8-10 weeks until they can get the frame replaced-there are a number of other trucks ahead of mine in line. Fortunately they are providing a rental pup for the time my truck is down.
    While the Toyota dealership has the truck apart, I was wondering what other items I should consider replacing.
    The muffler has a leak, so the exhaust system is being replaced at my cost. I was quoted a fee of about $500. Is that reasonable?
    Likewise, the chrome rear step bumper, which is rotted through, is also being replaced. The service mgr said he can try to locate a used one although I seen new OEM units on Ebay for about $225. Since the old bumper has to come off anyway I expect the labor should be zero.
    Is there anything else that I should think about replacing?
    Lastly, I am looking for a bed bar for the truck. I've seen nice ones for the later generation, but nothing for a 2001. Anybody have any ideas? Ideally, I'd like to find one that uses the existing tie down bolts for mounting points.
    Thanks for all of your input!

Products Discussed in

To Top