1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 PreRunner Overheating

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ksharpe.fire, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dec 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    ksharpe.fire

ksharpe.fire [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner
    I have a 2001 PreRunner with 180,000 miles. In July of this year, I had the timing belt, water pump, thermostat replaced. I have since put appx. 2000 miles since the replacement. I have towed my 16 ft boat twice. Both times overheating issues. Since I got the truck back, the temp. gauge seemed to be a little higher than normal. The first overheat with the boat, I limped to the parts store and bought a new radiator cap, I had water/coolant boiling out of reserve. This second overheat, in my guess was very very close to overheating, but didn't hit the hot mark, I did not have water boiling out reserve this time. I climbed under the truck to check things out. I found a water line I'm guessing, that maybe went to the water pump nipple, plugged with a bolt and hose clamp and......and.....a 2 wire sensor near the driver side of the water pump, oil filter area, the sensor was broke, wires pulled out of sensor. I took vehicle back to mechanic. They fixed the sensor.....said it was the oil sending unit! The hose that was plugged, they say it is some kinda smog control, and its no big deal! Before any replacements, truck ran fine, never overheating......Any opinions or suggestions would be helpful!

2. Dec 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Other than the "suspect" answers from your mechanic, I noticed no mention of Radiator in your post, I'd look there....

3. Dec 30, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    ksharpe.fire

ksharpe.fire [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner
    Back again.....ha. Got the right water pump put back in with the bypass hose hooked up, all back to normal....until I pulled the boat. Flushed the radiator with Prestone flush, replaced thermostat just to make sure, pulled the boat about 10 miles....overheating. The radiator fluid, flush, was pretty clean....real clean actually. Fan clutch feels tight when cool, spins freely when warm....time for a fan clutch?

To Top