1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 Toyota Tacoma Trailer Wiring

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by slim pickens, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Jun 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM
    slim pickens

slim pickens [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Toyota is a 2001 Tacoma 2.7L engine Automatic. Have a Trailer with a flat 4 connector that needs to be wired into the Tacoma. Quite some time ago, the trailer was wired to the Tacoma. However after a couple (2) of years the components (module) broke down and I had to have trailer wiring removed as it caused havoc with the vehicles wiring.

I would like to have the trailer rewired to the Tacoma but would like to know what trailer wiring kits, etc. available that other 2001 Tacoma owners have found to work the best for this application.

Your assistance & suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to assist with this matter. SP

2. Jun 12, 2017 at 8:28 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    Any Hopkins or Curt aftermarket wiring harness is fine. It plugs into your factory headlight housings and requires no splicing. Takes a good 30 minutes to install, the hardest part is making it tidy.

slim pickens[OP] and cruiserguy like this.
  3. Jun 12, 2017 at 9:24 PM
    CodeSeven

CodeSeven LOC: 33.781461, -115.867251

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge.
    Coachella Valley
    Vehicle:
    '00 Taco 3.4 4x4 TRD ( <3), '06 Taco Prerunner 4.0 (totaled)
    3 inch lift. bluetooth stereo. blue transparent skulls shift knobs
    What he said so long as you only want to put a 4 flat connection. Just pray that the previous wiring harness being removed didn't mess up these plans to put another one back on.

slim pickens[OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 13, 2017 at 2:52 AM
    slim pickens

Member:
    Appreciate the suggestion .... will look into this. Anybody, correct me if I'm mistaken. The harnesses you mentioned plug into the factory headlight housings? If I understood this correctly, U-Haul said that they have a harness that plugs into the rear tail light assembly and requires no splicing, etc. ?? This is somewhat confusing to me, at this point. Would like to be able to do this myself. For starters Is the factory headlight housing you mentioned up in front of the vehicle??? SP USAF 62-66

5. Jun 13, 2017 at 3:03 AM
    slim pickens

Member:
    The previous harness had to be removed completely as it did interfere with some of the Tacoma's lighting features. It's been a while now that this happened. Had to take it to a local garage that removed the entire harness. Everything returned to normal when it was removed. Seems, if I recall correctly, perhaps the modules breakdown in the trailer harness due to being exposed to the elements. Back to square 1 as I need the trailer with lighting, signals, etc. Hope this helps? SP USAF 62-66

6. Jun 13, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    it's tail light housings, I think he just typed the wrong thing

7. Jun 13, 2017 at 8:33 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
  8. Jun 13, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    Ryan_3TacosIn

Ryan_3TacosIn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '02 XTRA Cab, 4x4, TRD- Working on Restore
    OME Shocks, 883 Coilovers, Synthetic Brake Lines, Dakar Leafs with AAL, Baja Rear Bumper; ES Body mount Bushings, Light Racing UCAs, American Racing Wheels w/ 33" Hercules Tires, and more to come...
    ^^^This.

I used electrical cleaner in all of the connections, then covered the connections in a bulb grease type to help preserve the connection. As he said, the hardest part is making it look good... I used some extra wire loom I had left over from my boat wiring install and used that. I then used electrical tape and covered the entire harness in electrical tape to keep it more "water tight" than just the wire casing. That part took longer than the actual install. It plugs into the factory wiring harness, and then plug the tail lights into everything- no splicing required.

Literally, unscrew the tail lights, feed wires through the bottom of the bed tail light housing, connect, re-attach tail light and stuff extra wiring into extra space under the bed tail light housing. It CAN be that simple, but I went a few steps further with cleaning, grease, loom, black electrical tape, and black zip ties on custom baja rear bumper.

I can take a pic if you want to see it when I get home later if that would help.

This is honestly one of the easier things you'll do to the truck.

Edit: If you wanted to do it today, I believe I got my harness at AutoZone. Super easy.

slim pickens[OP] likes this.
  9. Jun 13, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Yup, it's super easy to install. Just unscrew the taillights (NOT headlights! lol) to access the plugs, and plug in the connectors, and route the wires down near the hitch and secure with some zip ties. As long as your tail lights work and you find a solid ground, you're good to go.

10. Jun 13, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    slim pickens

Member:
    Very nicely explained Ryan. I came across a video by etrailer showing the step by step installation of their harness on a 2001 & 2003 tacoma. I think I should be able to handle it. Thanks for the detailed information. Hopefully the instructions in the video will apply to the harnesses covered in the threads.

11. Jun 13, 2017 at 11:04 AM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    My bad. I meant taillight housings, not the headlight housings.

12. Jun 13, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solutionÂ…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Another vote for Hopkins. Had mine for 5 years now without issue. I also used some loom to clean up the wiring and electrical grease on the connections to prevent corrosion.

13. Jun 13, 2017 at 12:33 PM
    slim pickens

Member:
    Thanks for the update & clarification. It happens to all of us. Kindest regards. SP

Products Discussed in

To Top