1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 Trailer Light Problem

Discussion in 'Towing' started by FLCoyote, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    FLCoyote

FLCoyote [OP] New Member

Member:
    Panama City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    01, 4WD, TRD, Extended Cab
    My Right Boat trailer light isn't working. During trouble shooting I confirmed that all of the trailer lights are working correctly and that all of the Truck lights are working correctly. I put a new female connector on the truck and using a portable set of lights found that the right brake light still doesn't work. I traced the wiring up into the truck body behind the left tail light and the only way I can get to it is to remove the tail light. I don't want to do this until I've got a pretty good idea of what I need to do to fix the trailer brake light problem. Please remember when answering that both the truck and trailer lights are fully functional and that all of my trailer lights except the right brake light are working correctly when the trailer is connected to the truck.

FLCoyote

2. Feb 24, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    when you remove the taillight, there will likely be a patch harness of sorts installed between the taillight bulb and the socket on the truck end of the truck's wiring. This is where the signal is intercepted and sent to your trailer, and that is likely where your problem is in a loose connector or broken wire.

So to fix it will likely only require som solder, heat shrink tubing and electrical tape.

Regards,

3. Feb 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    dubber

dubber Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Taco 4x4 TRD
    Yes I have had problems with my trailer wiring before - always goes back to the harness for me. I am on harness #2 about to be harness #3 come spring time. Your '01 is likely the same as my '04 in that road grime gets up an opening under the truck which exposes the harness module.

You will have to pull the tailight out (left tailight - driver's side on mine) and depending on your harness style you will see a module (not all are the same as some have wires for brakes on trailers etc.). The intention of the module is to convert the truck wiring to trailer wiring so the correct lights fire at the right time. The module keeps toasting on mine. I replace the module as opposed to opening it up. They are not expensive to replace. They usually come with wiring instructions for installing them but are straight forward once you see all the wires.

Once you open it up you might find that it is a loose or broken wire. Good luck!

4. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    FLCoyote

FLCoyote [OP] New Member

Member:
    Panama City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    01, 4WD, TRD, Extended Cab
    Thanks for input. I bought a new trailer wiring kit from my local Toyota dealer for $36.40. Everything needed was included. It took me about two hours to install, but thats because I'm not very mechanically inclined and had to follow the directions slowly and accurately. It would have gone faster except the installers of the existing harness didn't follow the directions and I had to figure out what they had done vs what I needed to do. Anyway it all worked out and the problem is solved. The only thing I can figure out is that the problem was internal to the electronic module in the harness.

FLCoyote

5. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    dubber

dubber Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Taco 4x4 TRD
    Right on. Glad to hear you are back in business. I think there are a bunch of diodes in those modules. I don't think it is anything fancy. I will probably open my old one up that I am about to replace for the heck of it...Happly trailerin'!

Products Discussed in

To Top