1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 Overdrive Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JoePoulson, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    JoePoulson

JoePoulson [OP] Loves Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    Black 2012 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    De-mud flapped, tinted, de-badged, WeatherTech FloorLinered, 400W anytimed, Salex Organized
    My girl's dad has a 2002 V6 Access Cab 4x4 with 241,000 miles on it. He knows his vehicles, but he's run into an issue lately and asked that I post here for suggestions.

His truck struggles with overdrive during certain conditions - towing, with a load in the bed, and now going up hills. He describes the problem as the truck slipping in and out of gear, kind of "bouncing" the truck a bit. He said the problem first happened a while back, but it was a single bounce, to where he looked to see if he hit something. Now it's gotten much worse, and he's unsure what could be causing it. He's unsure if it's in the transmission (it's an automatic) or elsewhere.

He has no problem taking the transmission apart, if that's what the problem is. He just asked if I could make a post to see what the suggestions were. He would hate to drop the tranny to find out that wasn't the issue.

Anyway, if I get more information I'll post it. Thank you all in advance.

2. Feb 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    JoePoulson

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    De-mud flapped, tinted, de-badged, WeatherTech FloorLinered, 400W anytimed, Salex Organized
    Bump.

Any ideas?

3. Feb 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    sounds like you may have a bad band in the trans

4. Feb 4, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    03sr5

03sr5 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4x4
    Its possible that it could be that the torque converter clutch is failing or the direct clutch is going. What you could do is go on ttora.com and download the toyota fsm that contains the diag and mechanical info of the a340f transmission. You should check the trans fluid,if the fluid smells burnt its toast. The fluid should be red in color. Now if the fluid is red in color and smells burnt its toast. In the toyota fsm it dosnt tell how to rebuild the a340 series trans. Toyota dose sell fsm books that show exploded views,but you would have to go to the dealer and see if they can get you one. But theyll just try to sell you a rebuilt one from toyota. Keep use updated on what you find.

5. Feb 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    JoePoulson

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    I found out tonight that, amazingly enough, it was a bad spark plug. He took it to a transmission guy who immediately recognized the problem. He could replicate the "shake" by simply pushing in the brake and hitting the gas, while in gear. A new set of plugs and coils, and bam, problem solved.

It blew my mind like it did my girl's dad, but it was a hell of a lot cheaper fix than rebuilding the transmission!

Products Discussed in

To Top