1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 Tacoma for Autocross

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by 2Runner, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jan 13, 2021 at 10:54 PM
    RyanDCLB

RyanDCLB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4/19 DCLBOR
    I like to ride motos, so feel free to correct me if any of these don't apply.

Some good tips:
    • keep up your corner speed,
    • look through the turns,
    • learn the apex of the turns,
    • learn the increasing and decreasing radius turns,
    • either you're on the throttle, or you're on the brakes (no in between),
    • don't park it in the corners,
    • brake into the turn as late as possible, and throttle out (snap)
    • the truck can go much faster than you will ever take it, think The Stig from Top Gear...
    :notsure: GL! :thumbsup:

2. Jan 13, 2021 at 11:11 PM
    BananaMan

BananaMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7 RC 2wd manual "squattytruck"
    Pretty much on the money with all these. I was taught (for autocross) to always do all your braking before turning, and start rolling onto the throttle as you can. Riding along with some supercharged exocart miatas on slicks... definitely had the thought process a couple of times of "holy shit they still haven't hit the brakes we're gonna go straight through those cones-" followed by neck breaking brakes, immediately followed by neck breaking G's as they just rip around the turn like they're on a Sunday cruise and pin it. Obviously don't try that sequence of events until you've got some seat time!

I will say, with the gearing of a truck, you'll probably use 1st to get rolling, and once you've hit second you may never leave it. Depends on the course though. Autocross courses can be super tight and technical, or more open and floaty. Also some courses will feel like they're setup for a Miata sized car, instead of for a truck. In other words, you're going to come up on sections going "how the fuck is this truck ever going to fit through these cones at speed..." and then watch a Miata almost go in a straight line through that same section.

3. Jan 14, 2021 at 7:12 AM
    NMTOY

NMTOY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    1998 Dark green 2wd extra cab Tacoma V6, auto
    Clear corner and marker lights, 1997 Cobra wheels, KYB shocks, Powerstop rotors and pads
    Smooth is fast. Have fun. My car is not really built for autocross but is still pretty fun out there.
    Cobra.jpg

b_r_o, Texas T and 2Runner[OP] like this.
  4. Jan 14, 2021 at 8:43 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    That really is a beautiful Tacoma! Congrats!

If I was considering Auto-X, would buy a second set of wheels, preferably some lightweight wheels and put some "summer performance" tires on it. I wouldn't go to any race slicks until you've gone through several sets of tires and know how your truck performs. There are a lot of modifications you could probably make to the suspension, but if this is your daily driver, probably wouldn't go too "hard core."

Good luck!

2Runner[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2021 at 8:46 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    Do you have an LSD in that truck? I would lean towards a helical LSD, since it shouldn't wear out like a clutch type LSD.

6. Jan 14, 2021 at 4:40 PM
    2Runner

2Runner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab 2.4L MT 2WD
    I invited my wife so she can try to capture some video footage, Ill post it up here once done so we can share the magic of Tacoma in autocross together!

Just picked up an Arai GP-6S SNELL 2015 helmet on mega clearance since the 2020's just came out.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Damn.. I didnt realize how huge this pic was when I attached it!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  7. Jan 14, 2021 at 4:45 PM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks a bundle, for compliments and advice. :)

Yup old Trudy was built for all around fun I am not necessarily going for competitive autocross status anytime soon. Heck I didnt even know what class to enter!!

If I do get hooked on this I think I may have to pick up an extra set of wheels and tires sooner or later... guess we'll see how it goes out there. :thumbsup:

BananaMan likes this.
  8. Jan 14, 2021 at 4:49 PM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    I sure dont have a limited slip diff, even coming out of curves in my local canyon I can get my inside tire spinning on its own on a very off camber turn.

After this happened I shopped around a bit and saw Eaton has a True Trac diff for this axle, are there any other options out there or maybe an lsd that came from the factory, SRunner by chance?

This upgrade would certainly be considered early on if I went down the more "hard core" path to performance in my mind.

BananaMan likes this.
  9. Jan 14, 2021 at 5:04 PM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for these great driving tips guys and all your replies, this is really helping me get into the right mindset and envision how to do things properly!!

I am already blown away at how much help I am getting from you Tacoma World citizens on this autocross thread.. when I first posted I thought it may not even get a second look! I highly appreciate all the input and am trying to absorb all I can for this Sunday.. keep it coming gents! :thumbsup:

10. Jan 14, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    BananaMan

BananaMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7 RC 2wd manual "squattytruck"
    I don't know if the club you're running with is small enough to have this be a thing, but here our club is. We run in two groups, when group A is running, group B is the course workers for cone stations and staging/all that. Obviously it flips when it's group B turn. If you are doing this style, and it's going to be a nice day, think sunny or hot or little cloud cover. Get a boonie hat. Big brim, floppy, garish, whatever floats your boat, but make sure it gives your neck/face shade. And bring plenty of water and sunblock. You'll be sweating, out in the sun, cooking like a Maine lobstah.

It's worth saying, since it's your first time out, just go with the mindset of having fun and being open to advice and instruction. There's nothing wrong with taking the first couple runs slow to get used to the course and just doing this type of driving in general. If you finish the day and say "that was a lot of fun" it's a good day.

Edit: Wouldn't hurt to try sitting in your truck with your helmet on before you go racing just to see if you need to make seat height adjustments or anything.

11. Jan 14, 2021 at 8:10 PM
    NMTOY

NMTOY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    1998 Dark green 2wd extra cab Tacoma V6, auto
    Clear corner and marker lights, 1997 Cobra wheels, KYB shocks, Powerstop rotors and pads
    Have you considered adding performance anti sway bars? I had Addco sway bars on my 90 single cab and my 92 excab 2wd Toyotas and they were very fun to drive.

12. Jan 14, 2021 at 11:56 PM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Hey thanks for this advice Banana, I was all wrapped up in high performance tire smoking thoughts of blowing away Mustangs and Vettes and didnt even think about the course duty aspect! :rofl:

You are right on, I will have to man some cones at some point and it is supposed to get cooking out there this weekend. I do have a nice sun hat and will bring it along thanks to you. Water is also sounding like a no brainer that I plum forgot about too.. We cant live on Tacoma's alone I suppose!

When you mentioned trying on the helmet in the truck I admit I got a bit concerned as I hadnt really thought about this either and I do feel like I sit a bit high in the cab. I grabbed my helmet and went for the test and fortunately I fit with an inch or so clearance in my normal position. Felt pretty cool wearing my helmet in the truck, and I think I may even go for a test drive with it on just to get a feel for it.

BananaMan[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:09 AM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    You know I have actually gone beyond considering sway bars and into the realm of purchasing sway bars a while back!

When I found my Sport bucket seats in a wrecked SRunner I thought I may as well grab the sway bars too while I was there. I havent installed them yet with all the other things going on with the truck and life, but did some research on how to mount the rear with some custom hardware for an upcoming project.

The front sway bar is beefier than my oem since my truck is a regular cab 4 cylinder so I thought that may help to reduce some body roll also.
    Got both bars and all the mounting hardware too:
    20200215_130835.jpg

The truck handles pretty darn good now to me, but once I get on the autocross these may start to find their way under my truck shortly!

ireymon and BananaMan like this.
  14. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:11 AM
    Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    79FF3E9F-3ED8-45E2-9108-279B48F131EC.jpg I wish I had a track close to me, I’d give those Miatas a run for their money.

Hayrider likes this.
  15. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:12 AM
    Texas T

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    Definitely use the sway bars

BananaMan likes this.
  16. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:16 AM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Sweet!!

Cayman body on your Tacoma, very nice mod indeed!! :thumbsup:

hr206, cgs2k2 and BananaMan like this.
  17. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:17 AM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    The front sway bars are a quick install that I could get on there in time for the weekend, but I am missing some bits to do the rear.. Still not a bad idea!!

Texas T[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:29 AM
    lambo

lambo actually dumb

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab TRD OR
    Honestly just get out there and try it out. You'll learn a ton by getting out and trying it out. Then you can take what people on the forums say and apply it.

2Runner[OP] likes this.
  19. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:30 AM
    Texas T

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    Pretty easy mod

2Runner[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  20. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:32 AM
    2Runner