1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 Tacoma for Autocross

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by 2Runner, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jan 30, 2023 at 2:35 PM
    2Runner

2Runner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab 2.4L MT 2WD
    You guys are always welcome to post your Tacoma autocross related stuff up here, your input helps me and I love seeing your trucks! May help others down the road that dare to try this stuff for themselves. :thumbsup:

2. Jan 30, 2023 at 3:30 PM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Just a thought @Murd3rd ,

I would suggest if you can keep your fuel tank in the stock location this would probably be better for weight balance than having all that weight sloshing around behind your rear axle.. Not sure if this is feasible with going to a 4 link setup, but something to keep in mind for sure.

I found the truck handled much better without the spare tire and any extra weight (sand bags and a tow hitch in my case!) outside of the wheel base, you get that pendulum effect with too much weight far back and this makes the rear a bit more unruly and its slower to change directions overall, especially in the quick maneuvers.

Tikibutt and Murd3rd like this.
  3. Jan 30, 2023 at 4:33 PM
    Murd3rd

Murd3rd I believe I Toyota harder than most

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    00.5 Reg Cab Slammed, Turbo'd/19 TRD OR 6MT S/C
    1st gen - it's got a built engine, a turbo, and waaaaaaay too much to list. 3rd gen - basic-bitch lift, S/C, Pro Wheels
    I guess I could look at mounting it right behind the cab. There's no way I can stay with the stock tank at this point. I literally cut off one of the mount tabs last night. Lol

4. Feb 21, 2023 at 8:43 PM
    Tikibutt

Tikibutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4
    How loud is that exhaust? I'm looking at doing the same thing, but mine is a daily driver and a bit of a commuter. I don't need a loud drone as I head to my school to teach.

5. Feb 22, 2023 at 2:03 AM
    Murd3rd

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen - it's got a built engine, a turbo, and waaaaaaay too much to list. 3rd gen - basic-bitch lift, S/C, Pro Wheels
    It's not loud at all because I have the largest 3" in, 3" out straight through muffler that magna flow makes. Sounds like stock at idle and cruise. Only gets loud when at full boost because my wastegate has a screamer pipe on it. Otherwise you just hear the turbo spooling.

6. Feb 22, 2023 at 2:45 AM
    Joshmercs

Joshmercs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Vehicle:
    1999 Toyota Tacoma limited 4x4
    none
    hello, where did you get those seats from?

7. Feb 22, 2023 at 4:16 AM
    Tikibutt

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4
    I don’t have a turbo (yet), do you think a regular muffler meant for a V8 would keep it down?

8. Feb 22, 2023 at 4:20 AM
    Murd3rd

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    100% if you do what I did you shouldn't be able to hear anything really. I would stick with a straight through design like magna flow, and just get the largest muffler body size you can physically fit under your truck. The larger the muffler, the more packing material you have, the more sound absorption it is capable of.

To be completely honest, if you have the stock exhaust still, you can use that, the stock muffler is actually quite quiet.

9. Feb 22, 2023 at 1:43 PM
    Tikibutt

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4
    I had my cat stolen and just had a piece of pipe to replace it. It's starting to sound too ricey for me. Don't want to put a cat back on it, so I'm just looking at having the muffler moved up towards the engine and shorten the overall length.

amyracecar likes this.
  10. Feb 22, 2023 at 2:07 PM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Back to the subject here..

I did sign up for the autocross event this weekend, it will be the first time in a new location and it appears the sign up list is smaller than ever by over 50% roughly.. so I should get the most seat time ever too!! I am eager to see how some different tarmac feels and grips in the little truck, the lot cant be much worse than where I was previously at least I am thinking.

One guy in a custom FRS did sign up for STX class this month for Sunday race day, but 2 is still not enough entries for a class competition/trophy, so I am just going for Saturday and keeping it just for fun and maximum runs. It is supposed to be raining too, so we will see how that goes also.

No further mods for this round and my tires are still going strong, just replaced a broken passenger side door handle though today.. seems to many anxious ride alongers broke that premium plastic tidtbit after all these years!!

Trudy is ready..

20230120_164953 (2).jpg

Murd3rd and BananaMan like this.
  11. Feb 22, 2023 at 2:10 PM
    BananaMan

BananaMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7 RC 2wd manual "squattytruck"
    Heck yeah! The difference between running on concrete and pavement is nuts, very noticeable difference on how much grip you have. Can't wait to see some footage from the event.

Murd3rd and 2Runner[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  12. Feb 22, 2023 at 2:13 PM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Not sure if its concrete or not just yet, but at least it will be a new location regardless. I will try to get all the footage I can, from the inside the truck and the outside. I was shopping for a video camera upgrade to improve the footage from outside the truck, but the cameras I was looking at were costing more than the truck itself!!

BananaMan[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 22, 2023 at 2:20 PM
    BananaMan

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I gave up on the idea of having somebody take video from outside. But my wife did get me a new gopro for Christmas this year, so I'm going to have a mount on the passenger dash facing backwards to get reaction videos, as well as one on the back window to see in the cab and so I can watch back my hand work and lines on the course.

2Runner[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  14. Feb 24, 2023 at 4:50 AM
    Tikibutt

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4x4
    I just love the look of your truck.

2Runner[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 24, 2023 at 10:31 AM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Well, I just got an email that the event was cancelled due to potential flooding at the fair grounds where we were to be running unfortunately..

Not sure where and when the next event will be at this time.. guess I need to started searching for another event/venue!

BananaMan likes this.
  16. Mar 4, 2023 at 5:18 PM
    Murd3rd

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    PXL_20230303_205406949.jpg

PXL_20230225_221755077.jpg

I've made some headway on my 4 link. I've never built one of these before, so I'm taking my time and learning more than I can even retain. Lol

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  17. Mar 24, 2023 at 2:58 PM
    Murd3rd

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    2Runner[OP] and BananaMan like this.
  18. Apr 8, 2023 at 4:32 PM
    BananaMan

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    Sadly I didn't get any photos, but I flushed the brakes and power steering fluid today. It was almost black on both accounts. Looking into a cooler for the power steering since it was definitely getting hot last year, still not sure how to solve the issue of it failing mid slalom though. My friend brought up a good question, is it a flow issue or pressure issue? I thought it was pressure originally, but I could be flow I suppose. Any thoughts?

19. May 5, 2023 at 9:51 AM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Popping into the world of Tacomas today reminiscing about the past autocrossing events.. It has been since January since I have been able to get behind the wheel without limitations in the old truck, and of course I am missing this lately and itching to get back to the fun!

First the main event (So Cal SCCA) I was going to was cancelled due to the Speedway getting remodeled. They tried to move it to Ventura, but this event was rained out two months in a row sadly, and they are not even showing another event on the calendar at this time while they search for a new venue. So I have been searching for the next event close by that is also ongoing throughout the year and I think I found the next one for me to try out. I found the San Diego SCCA puts out almost monthly events only an hour from my house too, and they have their next session in June so I will have to wait a bit more but am planning to hit this one if at all feasible.

This upcoming event they dont have a Saturday test and tune, its only a Sunday Competition day, but you can add 4 fun runs to get 8 total for $80. The interesting thing being the competition day got me looking at the event entries, there is no one is STX class signed up yet but it is still early. I looked up the last two events they put on and there was actually 3 guys running STX for the last couple events, so I will be planning to sign up for STX and see how the old Tacoma can stack up against the class winning modified FRS/BRZ's!!

And we always like to see how old Trudy is doing right?!

Here she is yesterday hanging out waiting for action with her sister Frieda. Frieda is the 4Runner I have had for over 10 years has gone just about everywhere and never leaves me stranded, and was the inspiration for my 2Runner we now know as Trudy of course!!

20230504_125851.jpg

Both are mostly stock, with mods to suspension and tires to enhance what I use them for - driving pleasure off road and on!!!

20230504_125943.jpg

As you can guess, I love these older smaller trucks.. they dont make anything even close to these beauties nowadays!

20230504_130038.jpg

One more of ol Trudy glistening in the sunset..

20230120_163840.jpg

20. Jul 11, 2023 at 3:12 PM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Sure has been some time but I was finally able to get back out there with Trudy for some autocross action this weekend!

First time ever for me in a new location, and even though the course was a bit smaller there was a bit more grip available on the smoother cleaner asphalt. This was pretty nice as the tires seemed to make a bit more squeal at the limit so I could hear what was going on more than usual it felt like anyhow.. I got in 16 runs and even though it was scorching hot, the tires held up very nicely too and I still dont need to go shopping for new rubber yet unfortunately.. (I found I like buying/trying new high performance tires)!

The shorter tighter 40 second course made for lap times that came even closer to the top runners than usual for old Trudy, and she was only 2 seconds roughly off the fastest times of the whole crowd all day. It was a total blast getting out there, seeing some old friends and making a bunch of new ones too while shocking many in the process as the Tacoma also really excels at, as some of us know!

Amongst all the fun and excitement I was able to grab a couple videos too luckily, even my quickest run of the day which occurred in the early session. Maybe it was too hot later in the day for max grip or some other fine excuse, but I just could not seem to beat my times from the morning and kept coming in just about a tenth slower the rest of the day..

Hope you all enjoy the action above, cant wait to get back out again.. oh, the next event appears to be on August 6th for all the other Tacoma's ready to join in the fun!!

Products Discussed in

To Top