1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 TRD suspension question.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by elicitone, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Sep 2, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    elicitone

elicitone [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    I am picking up a 2002 Ext Cab TRD 4x4 on Tuesday. I intend to do some moderate wheeling in it, nothing crazy. I am curious what you guys think would be a good option for a mild lift probably about 3". The truck has the factory Billstein shocks and they seem in great shape.

The most common recomendation I see is 5100's with ome springs and an aal. My question is, do I need to replace the shocks if I already have the Billsteins? What about maybe a set of ToyTec coils and an aal?

I am planning on a set of 33x12.5x15's as well. Probably on 8" wheels, will I need spacers?

Anyone know of any good local shops?

2. Sep 2, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    Hey Elicitone...I think you just emailed me about a canopy in Kijiji...lol. Anyway, this is a common question folks ask about lifts. There is a tone of info on it here and there are some good threads including pics and "how to"s. So search around and you'll find all your answers. You'll shortly get bombarded with "Search!"

I'm getting a new frame for my 2002 trd on the 12th. I've purchased billy 5100's all the way around (setting the fronts at the middle), OME 880s (not putting a winch or bumper on) all from Down South Motor Sports. Good deal and nice to deal with! I also bought skijacker aal from a local shop.

When the truck goes in for the frame job...they are getting a box of goodies to put on! Oh yeah, also have BFG KO's 265/75R16's to go on it. Should be perfect to get me into fishin' holes.

3. Sep 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    elicitone

Member:
    Ontario
    Thanks for the replies. I was more interested in wether it is worth it to replace the factory bilstein's with the 5100's. Can I achieve a good reliable lift with the factory stuff that will be enough to clear the 33's? Don't want to get stranded in the woods and god forbid have to be towed out by a JEEP...:eek:

This will be a second vehicle for me as I have my little protege to get me through my 100+ KM daily commute. Which means I will get to have as much the wrench time I want. Would like to have it off road ready by spring! intend on adding the 33's a little extra height some armour a winch and if finances allow maybe sliders or new bumpers.

4. Sep 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Any lifting is going to require (with exception to body lift which I would avoid) upgraded shocks to accomodate the extra lift gained, the stock Bilsteins aren't long enough, you can get the 5100's & still use the stock coils in front, & remember that the rear shocks are side specific (driverside is shorter shock/pass. side is longer shock..;)

5. Sep 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    As far as if its worth it to go to the 5100's over stock, no question its worth it....

6. Sep 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    elicitone

Member:
    Ontario
    looking at pricing up here, I may be ordering them to my aunts place in Michigan and taking a trip. Might check out tires while I'm there...

Of all the things I love about my country, the online shopping isn't one of them...

7. Sep 2, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    Elicitone, I ordered from the states and didn't get charged duty or anything...lucky I guess...but that was for both seperate packages, springs on one order and 5100's on the other. Just paid shipping. I easily saved a few hundred bucks (seriously) rather than ordering through a shop around here.

To Top