1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 Toyota Tacoma V6 hesitation

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Eriksen0108, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Aug 30, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    bseant

bseant Active Member

Member:
    central valley,cali
    Vehicle:
    04 doub cab prerunner
    spark plugs aren't the problem i change my often. And honestly i would just use the toyota spark plugs which are denso and not that expensive either, one of the few things i get from the dealership.

2. Aug 31, 2012 at 3:39 AM
    Eriksen0108

Eriksen0108 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    I agree. Spark plugs aren't the problem. I changed my plugs, coils and wires with genuine Toyota parts and it did not correct the problem. You might need new plugs anyway if you haven't changed them before.
    That RPM range is where my hesitation happens too. If I rev the shit out of it and take off at a higher RPM, it generally won't happen. But who wants to do that every time they take off? At the very least your clutch will take a beating.

3. Aug 31, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    FramerKat

FramerKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner TRD Limited DC
    Wheeler's five pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100s (rear), front tint, windshield top tint, Century Camper Shell/Cap/Topper, Wade window visors, Wade bug shield, cassette adaptor (so I can play Slacker Radio via my phone!), Sunday Blues with Dar sticker, Wounded Warrior Project sticker, no NRA sticker 'cause I don't wanna advertise ;-)
    I figured I'd do the plugs and wires since I'm over 100k and I don't know if the prior owner did it before. And the Denso and NGK are the ones supplied by Toyota...Denso plugs are the ones they have at Advance...and I heard the NGK wires might be available at Napa...I've got both stores nearby.

My truck is still doing the hesitation...hot or cold, raining or dry (although, I think it did it more in the rain)...but in that same rpm range. Thinking if it's in a specific rpm range...maybe more fuel related? I'm still wondering if I may have stirred up some gunk by putting in Lucas fuel treatment that either clogged up the fuel filter or injector(s).

4. Sep 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    bseant

bseant Active Member

Member:
    central valley,cali
    Vehicle:
    04 doub cab prerunner
    I dunno, i have the problem about the same rpm range as well:confused::confused::confused:
    And yes you should change your spark plugs anyways. I usually change mine every 30,000 miles or so.

5. Sep 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    Toyota-Dually

Toyota-Dually Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Holden Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    My hesitation is definitely NOT plug related because on a warm day when I step on the accelerator I get no response. Bad or non-firing plugs should only cause a rough underpowered response not a totally absent one.
    And bad plugs wouldn't get worse with warm weather.

Is there a way to write to Toyota Corp. tech support and ask for their input?
    I don't want to spend $98/hr at my dealer only to have them say no codes and it runs fine :annoyed:

6. Sep 3, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    Eriksen0108

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    I brought mine to Toyota a while ago, but it did not produce the hesitation while they had it. They didn't charge me anything, just told me to bring it back when it's happening. The problem is that when it's happening, I'm not right next to a Toyota dealer, so it isn't hesitating by the time I get it there. I'm gonna wait until its happening frequently, which I suspect it will in September, then I'll bring it in and tell these people to drive it home for a week. It started hesitating a little yesterday because it's been raining a bit and a little muggy.
    I doubt corporate Toyota gives a flying fuck about your letter, but if you want to give it a shot, I'll write one too.

7. Sep 3, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    FramerKat

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's five pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100s (rear), front tint, windshield top tint, Century Camper Shell/Cap/Topper, Wade window visors, Wade bug shield, cassette adaptor (so I can play Slacker Radio via my phone!), Sunday Blues with Dar sticker, Wounded Warrior Project sticker, no NRA sticker 'cause I don't wanna advertise ;-)
    Yeah, mine did it really bad yesterday...had a frustrated cab behind me as I couldn't get the rpms up to get away from a light quickly enough :( I did find that if I can quickly get the rpms above the 1250-1750 range where it does it, I can move along better. And mine is an automatic, so it's harder to control the rpms.

Now I know why it never did it when I first got the truck...I was a tad lead footed...and now I've been lightening up to try to get better mileage and this appears...that's what I get for trying to drive slower ;)

8. Sep 4, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    Eriksen0108

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    My truck didn't do it either when it was new. I am very frustrated, to the point where i might just sell it. Landscapers(I mean the illegal kind) will pay top dollar, cash for that truck. I wish I could figure it out though. My plan was to put like 300,000 miles on it and run it into the ground...it's why I bought a Toyota in the first place. I have 112,000 on it...not nearly the mileage I had anticipated.

9. Sep 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    bseant

bseant Active Member

Member:
    central valley,cali
    Vehicle:
    04 doub cab prerunner
    so far im leaning towards the o2 sensor but damn their like 250 a piece so its goin to have to wait for a little while, of course it takes two of them. It has to be something stupid.

10. Sep 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    RPain

RPain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    Evidence of a failing Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor might include rough driving, a change in engine speed while idling, stalling and hesitation and alterations to engine speed while driving. Your car engine's fuel consumption is controlled by the Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor and the fuel efficiency of the vehicle will plummet if it isn't performing up to par. A Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor is an important device that translates the slant of the throttle valve into electric signals so it can be used by the on-board electric control unit. Your Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor is a small but critical part of the car engine that provides readings from the car's engine speed to the built in ECU. Your automobile's Toyota Tacoma Throttle Position Sensor applies varying amounts of resistance to the throttle valve, which allows it to check the valve tilt with more accuracy.

^ this is my next attempt, TPS costs $60 at NAPA

11. Sep 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    bseant

bseant Active Member

Member:
    central valley,cali
    Vehicle:
    04 doub cab prerunner
    please let us know how this turns out.

12. Sep 7, 2012 at 3:48 AM
    Eriksen0108

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    I've thought about the TPS, but never changed it out because I figured it would throw a code. I even brought it up to a mechanic a while ago and he was certain that it couldn't be the TPS. I suppose it's worth a shot. Not sure it explains the heat or moisture coincidence, but fuck it, right?. Please let me know how that works out.

Wouldn't it be crazy if all of our hesitation problems were solved with one little sensor!?

13. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    FramerKat

Member:
    First Name:
    kAt
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
  14. Sep 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    CrunchyTaco99

CrunchyTaco99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Tacoma
    33x12.50 Pro Comp M/T's All-Pro Coils, UCA and 3" leafs.
    Looking at the TPS next. Had injectors professionally cleaned and installed new o2 sensor with a little increase in performance but power loss remains.

15. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    RPain

RPain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    haha greatest movie ever!

Well I bought the TPS today but can't get the old one off because I stripped one of the screws. :mad:

16. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
  17. Sep 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    bseant

bseant Active Member

Member:
    central valley,cali
    Vehicle:
    04 doub cab prerunner

did you replace both sensors or just one?

18. Sep 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    CrunchyTaco99

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Tacoma
    Just the primary or upstream sensor. From what I understand it is the air fuel reader and the secondary or down stream sensor just checks up on the cat. I do not have an o2 code or cat code so I had no reason to replace the secondary.

19. Sep 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    toyotaman4456

toyotaman4456 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    phillip
    ga
    Vehicle:
    04 toyota tacoma
    it's most likely your throttle body and you can't get the parts to fix it from toyota its a sinsor on the inside of the throttle body but in oder to replace it you have to buy the throttle body 1200$ mine was doing the same thing

20. Sep 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    CrunchyTaco99

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Tacoma
    Ya, posted about that a page back. APPS sensor. Gonna try a few things before I drop that kind of money!

Products Discussed in

To Top