1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 X-Cab 4x4 Budget Audio Build

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rob feature, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Jun 8, 2016 at 6:04 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    If anyone was wondering where to find dual-4VC SD10s right now, SSA got 'em back in this morning. I know 'cause I just ordered one :D. I'm not sure why I was thinking I needed to hold up on this. I've been wanting to do this for months. And now I have everything but the last of the deadening...which I may order very soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needs the same airspace as the enclosure I have now. I just have to widen the baffle, drill new holes & cut the carpet back a bit. And I guess make a new grill. Those old rings I cut are kinda big - maybe I'll get lucky? Otherwise I think I'll go buy a waffle grill & drape some of that grill cloth over it.

Looking forward to this!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    gkomo likes this.
  2. Jun 9, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    I hate to say I told you so, but so far I'm batting 1000. Sorry local people once again for the poor weather we're having this afternoon :rolleyes:

None of my new gear is here yet, but I went ahead & started on enclosure 2.0.

[​IMG]

This is as far as I'll make it tonight. The wind was blowing like 60 mph in the garage. Lightning getting close. It's like the gods are taunting me - saying no dummy, this is how you go boom :p. Just as well though I guess. I'm getting 2 different numbers from Sundown's website regarding cutout diameter (9.25 and 9.45). I don't wanna cut the wrong one, so maybe I'll just wait & call tomorrow. Unless one of you knows? :cookiemonster:

This is essentially the same enclosure as last time, but it'll be re-oriented. It's going to be taller as opposed to longer to let me move my seat back further. With the current enclosure in, it's as far back as I'll ever drive, but I discovered this Winter when I was trying to put on ski boots in the driver's seat that I could use a couple more inches. Easy enough to do.

The initial plan was just to use the old enclosure, but as I started paying attention to the baffle I realized that I didn't make it big enough to take this sub. It would have been a wonky mount & sketchy mounts for t-nuts or inserts. This is a good thing though. Since it'll go right in the brackets I made up before, if I ever have trouble with the new sub, I have a drop-in replacement!

I guess I'll try tomorrow to finish this thing up. I've a little sanding to do anyway as these cuts are close but not perfect. After running around to a few local lumber shops to try & find someone to cut a few slices for me, I finally wound up at Home Depot. I talked the kid in the back into giving it a go. He took an hour making 7 pieces, but did his damndest to make them perfect. He refused a $20 tip, saying it would get him in trouble, but their receipts give you an opportunity to send feedback about specific employees. He got a sweet report from me - that kid needs a raise.

PRS80 gets here tomorrow & the rest next week. I'm going to try & have everything as ready as I can to just drop it all in some time next week if all goes well. If I have it my way, it'll be a stormy one :rolleyes:

3. Jun 10, 2016 at 7:12 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    PRS 80 showed up today :D

Maybe it's time to comment on my first experience with Jet. I ordered the head unit and pocket last Sunday night. This stuff showed up Friday afternoon. I think it took the better part of 2 days to process but it got here pretty quickly after that. Zero complaint there considering free shipping and overall price ($223 shipped with the pocket). The box was in another box with 2 little squares of cardboard for packing material. The head unit and pocket were just stuffed in there loose and free to rattle about. Although the outer box looked like it had been used before, the head unit box was almost perfect.

Head unit looks fine with the exception of a small scratch above the aux jack. It almost looks like a manufacturing defect, but small, insignificant and the only thing visibly wrong...which is to say almost nothing. I looked it over carefully for signs of previous install and it seems brand new.

[​IMG]

All looked in order, so I wired it up & stuck it in the dash with the pocket tucked underneath. I think it classes up the joint a little.

[​IMG]

The pocket is smaller than I thought it would be, but for an 8 dollar way to fill that hole, I have zero complaints. Err except it came with no screws. It's only big enough to hold my phone or the remote - not both. But with the sticky cover on my phone it doesn't slide around and makes the perfect little home for it. Fit is really good and finish is good enough. I had to pop 2 little tabs off the top of the frame to get it to fit, but once those are gone, it pops right into the factory bracket. After you find your own screws :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I had to immediately turn my amp gains down quite a bit. I started with all settings flat & got the crossovers set. For the moment I'm still using passives on the front end. Starting with some reference material I noticed a difference in SQ right away. More detail in music, far less noise, just all around improvement. I didn't bother with auto EQ, but set the time alignment with a tape measure and made some minor EQ adjustments.

Sound stage is pretty broad at this point, but narrower than I'd like it to be. It runs the length of the windshield, but only seems to come up maybe halfway. This is a temporary configuration though and again a vast improvement over what was in there before. I knew that Kenwood was noisy, but it was more than that. I can't describe it really, but it's so much better. And there are still many changes coming.

4. Jun 11, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Made a little more headway today. I fooled myself into thinking my sub amp would show up today, but as it turns out I simply read the shipping info incorrectly. Nonetheless I didn't figure this out until not too long ago, so I got to work on getting everything else ready.

A few install items - compliments of Parts Express and the local Car Toys. Err, and one from wally world...yet another cutting board :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

This one's going to be the amp board. I can't find sheet plastic around here to save my life, but this board may wind up being a pretty good size. I'm tempted to just toss it in whole as it's a pretty good fit and will allow for upgrades.

Weather once again, but today it's really flippin' hot with no clouds in sight. Yet :rolleyes:. Figured I'd lay out everything I'd need in the garage & do the pre-install work where it was much cooler.

[​IMG]

Got the Lisa re-wired, ran more speaker wire & set it all up for active :D

[​IMG]

Dunno what I think about the caps mounted like this, but this is what happened

[​IMG]

I sort of want to wrap up the whole thing somehow and make it a little neater, but will need to sleep on it. I may go back and solder at that time.

The cover keeps it all protected though

[​IMG]

I think the Alpine's gonna fit all the way up under the seat and won't need such a cover. Fewer wires in & out of there too.

I got everything back in & about ready to turn on when I forgot I had to flip the switch on the PRS to network mode :mad:. Fortunately, I can get the head unit out of this thing in less than 5 minutes now, so it wasn't a big deal. Of course it was hidden up under the new pocket :rolleyes:

Finally got it all back in, turned the gains all the way down again, and fired it up. Everything is a go, but I'll be a couple days without a sub. But, I've ditched the passive crossovers and am totally active now!

Very hot today, so it was a slow go. Since the amp didn't show yet, I think I'll wait for the board since I don't know where to put the mounting holes yet. Gonna work on the box tomorrow if all goes well. Tonight I'll work on pulling a few things together in the PRS. Sub amp Monday. New tweets and sub Tuesday. And I gotta get ready to move. Gonna be a busy week!

5. Jun 13, 2016 at 4:35 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Made a little more headway on the enclosure. My compass isn't big enough to draw this circle, but the little hardware gage proves its worth yet again. Dead at 9.45".

[​IMG]

Just insert screw and pencil and move it in the only way it will go :D

[​IMG]

Aaand a circle right in the middle

[​IMG]

I hear a rumble in the distance. Is that...the Fedex man? :blahblah:

It's the fedex man. Delivering my shit to the wrong address :(

That probably looked pretty sketchy me walking to a neighbor's house and taking a package off the porch, but no cops yet.

In the box was a brand new Alpine MRX-M55! :D

[​IMG]

My first impression is this thing is heavier than expected for such a small package. It seems to be well built.

Looks like it'll make enough power. According to the PRS, my charging system runs at 14.2V idling.

[​IMG]

If you were wondering what I was going to do with that cutting board I needed a handy way to carry the amp around :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure why I never tried this technique before, but it beats the snot out of removing the whole seat. The passenger seat in this thing is a breeze to get in & out but the driver's seat is about twice the weight and it's a funky shape. Gotta be careful not to put too much pressure on anything, but the seat found a nice little nook & just stayed there - like it was supposed to work like that.

[​IMG]

The other amp board is up under the carpet, but I wanted to try above carpet this time & see if I like one way better for some reason.

[​IMG]

It seems a bit more authoritative than the previous configuration. I guess it should though - it's twice the ponies at 4 ohms and about twice the Rex's rated power handling. I haven't been able to spend that much time with it, but I did throw a few songs at it where I thought it might have some difficulty and it just hurled loads of bass at me that I've never heard from this sub. I just started giggling. I'm going to have to keep listening to this thing for a while.

Some time back I mentioned that this sub surprises the shit out of me sometimes. This is one of those times. I kept my expectations low, but this thing has been holding back. It just needed more juice. I'll have a few more days to listen to it too before I stick in the SD. I still need to finish caulking the enclosure & let that dry - then it gets carpet and that'll need to cure for a couple days to get the stink out.

M25s tomorrow!

solscooter likes this.
  6. Jun 14, 2016 at 4:11 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Hit a little bit of a snag today. I thought I might, but was holding my breath.

A little brown box from SI showed up today :D

[​IMG]

Same Fedex guy. He came all the way here today :rolleyes:

Pretty things inside - pretty much identical in diameter to the NVX. Way heavier though.

[​IMG]

That bandaid in the distance. That was almost really bad. I was putting one of the tight-fitting sides on the enclosure yesterday & pinched part of my finger in there with lots of force. It bruised, blistered and cut it all at once. I could see way up in there. Mom would say that gets stitches, but Ima take my chances with a bandaid. So don't do that one at home kids. I did it for ya. It works.

Here's the thing I'd been worried about though

[​IMG]

I knew as soon as I took the NVX out that it wouldn't work as that rubbed part of the sticker is there because the tweeter cup was right up against the sheet metal.

[​IMG]

Pisser

[​IMG]

So I'm left with some options. I can make a 10mm adapter ring and hope that it doesn't look like shit. It's reasonably flat there so maybe I could get lucky...might see if some of the old NVX mounts can be adapted. I can make a sweet pair of headphones out of these tweeters and get new tweeters. I can just do some dash pods already although I don't have much room. I understand that sticking tweeters up in that triple junction isn't the best place anyway...anyone confirm or deny?

At this point, my though process says just order a pair of Seas H1396 or Scanspeak Discovery as had been originally considered. I think the curve on the door card is gonna make spacers difficult to get right, but almost wanna try first.

Fek. More decisions.

That's what I get for not stickin a ruler in there first though :rolleyes:

7. Jun 15, 2016 at 9:14 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Got the box all finished up today

[​IMG]

I stuck that hole way up there 'cause I'd just ordered a right angle Speakon connector and plug, but just as I did that realized that stuff isn't sealed. I'll stick with the ol' wire through the box trick 'till I run across something like that that won't leak.

I took a guess that letting this thing hang out in front of a fan all day would help accelerate the de-stinking process. It worked great!

[​IMG]

My carpet's a lot better on this one. I realized some mistakes that I made last time & didn't make 'em again this time. This is the front - what is the most visible.

[​IMG]

It's a good thing I'm getting all this done 'cause the wooferman cometh!

[​IMG]

Turns out those zipties had to come off & the wires had to run under the magnet...clearance issue. The basket is kinda wide.

Out with the old & in with the new!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting there

[​IMG]

This gives me a few more notches on the seat rails - very welcome.

I took it out for a spin for a couple hours. So far so good. It sounds way better than the RE. I guess I expected better, but it's far better. Seems like it even helped with imaging, but as I'm moving all sorts of things around right now, who knows?

I didn't re-align or EQ or anything...just turned the gain down a bit & drove for a couple hours. I've always liked to crank up the bass on Erasure's tunes and did this through at least one album. With the RE this sort of thing was a task and it protested a bit and showed me its limits. The SD just delivers another dimension to the music. Not a thing feels labored. It doesn't sound like a subwoofer - if that makes sense.

And it's a work of art. I'm in love so far. Thank you Sundown :D

gkomo likes this.
  8. Jun 24, 2016 at 7:48 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    So I'm packing to move and running across things I haven't seen in a while...like the little brackets that held the aftermarket headlight to my supermoto forks...with the help of one of these

[​IMG]

What are the odds?

[​IMG]

Turns out they're pretty decent. I needed between 5-6mm, not 10 as I'd suggested before. So I went & pulled a panel and pulled out one of the NVX tweeters and cut about half of that grommet away. Then fernagled a little mounting system and Bob's yer uncle

Ehrmegherr I'm gonna get to use these tweeters :D

[​IMG]

I think it's a better fit than the NVX since the rubber gives a bit. The rubber is pliable though and sensitive to pressure. I need to massage out a funny spot as you can see here, but otherwise it's a nice fit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've only listened briefly, but can tell it's a good bit less efficient than the NVX. The other tweeter will go in hopefully on Wednesday when it shows up. I'm pretty stoked about this discovery to say the least. Can't wait to give these things a good listen!

9. Jun 26, 2016 at 7:19 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    I got in a couple hours the other night and spent most of the day yesterday and a lot of today driving - with 2 different tweeters. I did an autotune the other night with the PRS as the efficiency between the 2 tweeters among other things is way off. I looked at the settings before with both NVX tweeters, which had also been auto-tuned and the RHS tweeter (the one that's now an M25) was attenuated -8dB vs the left side. The M25 auto-tuned to 0 dB. Quite a difference.

There was nothing subtle about it either. I thought maybe having one of each in there that they'd behave somewhat similarly, but the M25 flat out dominates the NVX. If I had to explain it I'd say that the NVX sounds like it only tries to play a few frequencies where the M25 gives a more even response.

Even with just one M25 in the passenger door, crossed at 6.5 kHz @ 12 db/oct, the difference is night and day. It really isn't as weird as I thought it might be with 2 different tweeters. It sounds WAY better than it ever has. Once I get the other M25 in the crossover point is going way down - maybe as low as 2.5 kHz, but some experimentation is in order.

There has been one downside. The noise floor got a bit higher as the hiss from the Lisa was apparently largely outside the capabilities of the NVX set. The M25 exposes more of that. Assuming all is well with the PDX when it returns, that should no longer be a problem. At least from what I can tell, that amp was dead silent. Then again, it was kinda broken [​IMG]. I didn't notice any noise driving today, but it's one of the first things I noticed in the garage last night.

I hate to go on about any of it too much as it's temporary, but the difference in pretty much every track I've played since I swapped that one tweeter is dramatic - in a very good way. Once again hearing things I've never heard. It's going to be a long 4 days waiting for the other one to get back.

I dropped by a shop in Denver yesterday as I was passing by and have been sort of on the lookout for something to use as a grille. I mentioned that to the guy there and he offered only to make me a single MDF ring for $40 plus tax. So like 80 something bucks for a couple rings. After thinking it over a bit and realizing that I probably wasn't going to find a grille that fit without excursion issues, I decided to sort of repeat what I did last time.

Draw out a couple rings and cut them myself.

[​IMG]

I had a couple extra pieces of MDF that were the same width & used them to make sort of a table out of the sheet I'm using to make the rings. It was this or the back of my truck. This works far better and is probably a bit safer :rolleyes:

I started having evil thoughts looking at this. You know what it looks like, right? I know what it looks like. While that would be fun, no. :D

[​IMG]

I'd been using finishing blades before with the scroll saw and it was taking forever to cut through and the saw was getting pretty hot. I just had a bunch of those blades so kept using them. I ran across a brand new and much coarser blade today and decided to try it. It slashed the cut time dramatically. I think each cut was 90 - 120 seconds - pivoting on the OEM guide.

Gluing the rings

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how I'm going to mount these just yet. It will be a good bit heavier than the last one so I'd need more magnets. That wasn't the best solution anyway. It stays on by itself, but if you bump it it will come off. I sort of want it to protect the woofer at least a little and if it's just moving out of the way, what good is that? I think it needs to be screwed on. Ooh, velcro! Velcro sticks to this carpet really well & I have a whole roll of it...plus some SDS stuff.

I sealed up the MDF & dug into the old fabric from last time to see if I had enough left. I had to stretch the shit out of it and there's a little kink in the back out of sight, but otherwise it went reasonably well. I had to put a lot of staples in, but all the little velcro tabs I stapled over the cloth helps hold it down nicely.

As before, you can't see through it in normal light - only the surface of the cloth. That's just the flash letting you see the ring & logo.

[​IMG]

It's a little more significant than what it replaced and had to be to accommodate cone movement.

[​IMG]

The velcro is far sturdier than the magnets. I put a couple dozen little strips all along the edge covering maybe half the surface. I tried to pull it back off for a picture of the back, but it wants to stay put. I don't think I'm going to force it until it becomes necessary. The ring is pretty tight against the gasket on the SD3 as well. It's not going anywhere. The cloth may come off as it's stretched so tight, but if it does, I'll run down to Joann and get more and do it again - no biggie. I'm totally happy with the result though and it really didn't take that long. And it was all paid for anyway. One more tweeter and an amp swap and maybe I can call all this settled for a bit. My move got pushed back a few weeks so I got that goin' for me.

gkomo likes this.
  10. Jul 1, 2016 at 8:21 AM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    The other tweeter got back & it went in the door immediately.

[​IMG]

It worked out that install was really quick & easy for these once I found the spacer.

I think they look a lot better than the NVX kit...sort of a heavy duty feel

[​IMG]

After playing with it a couple days, I'm settled at a 2.5 kHz crossover point with 12 dB/oct slopes for both woofer and tweeter. I had the tweeter at 3.15 kHz (the next step up) and it sounded great, but I discovered that when I crossed the both at the same frequency, that the stage extends higher and vocals are dead center on top of the dash and amazingly clear and loud. Vocals really dominate the stage now! They were all but missing when I started this. The drivers have totally disappeared as well.

For anyone considering the M25 in a 1st gen, it's pretty easy. I won't bother with details as the odds of this coming up any time soon are slim, but if you've bought some M25s and are trying to figure out how to get them in your 1st gen doors, speak up and I'll provide more detail.

The top 2 sliders on the GEQ had no effect on the NVX VSP tweeters. Moving 20k with the M25 actually does something. I can still hear that high! The noise floor is even higher now too - unfortunate yet temporary side effect. I talked to Alpine yesterday and they're sending a different PDX. That should solve that problem and double my available power.

As it sits though it sounds amazing. I really have to be quiet to hear the noise floor. Sitting through a few of Ray LaMontagne & Micheal Buble's albums I discovered that I think I've found what I've been looking for. I've listened to a few dozen albums now with all this in and so far it does everything well. Very well.

FWIW, the PRS' auto-tune can't seem to get its timings right. Auto EQ works well enough, but it gets the timings bad off. It thought my sub was like 14 feet away!

The budget came up a bit - about $1,100 as it sits. It'll go up a bit more after the Alpine goes back in. In the end, after I finish up deadening the back, all this should come to about $1500. Not bad for what I'm getting. Some guys will pay this for a bumper. It's a small price to pay for such an upgrade. Worth every cent.

11. Jul 1, 2016 at 8:50 AM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    I forgot that I had taken these. A little subwoofer porn anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jul 1, 2016 at 11:06 PM
    SlowComa666

SlowComa666 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    these new subs are weird to someone that hasn't done this stuff for years.

so, tiny piston surface but long throw? what's the actual cone surface area? looks like just over 1/2" throw.

i get that it will make many of the db's of bass but how is the actual cone control with that wide of a flexible surround?

13. Jul 2, 2016 at 6:40 AM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Piston area is one parameter missing from Sundown's page, but it's time I called & asked for it. I've just been using the area of cone formula to get close for modeling. My estimate is .05 square meters. So yeah just over 1/2 inch one way (at 70% and linear - not sure why Sundown uses the 70% method). Or 29mm (a little over an inch) both ways at 70%. That little paper area, the dust cap and a bit of the surround material make up the piston. And typically 1/3 of the surround goes in there too, which I have included in my estimate.

Cone control is phenomenal. It has an extended pole piece that helps keep everything lined up. One of the things that makes this sub special is the underhung motor which keeps the coil equally in immersed in the magnetic field through the travel range - reducing distortion. Aluminum shorting rings help with linear excursion too.

14. Jul 2, 2016 at 9:57 PM
    SlowComa666

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    guess i just like my woofers with opposite specs [for home use]

big, efficient and barely moving [low xmax]. maybe i prefer the speed [decay] over total spl

15. Jul 3, 2016 at 5:48 AM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    I'll just say listen to one of these before you pass judgement.

I'd prefer something bigger too, but we all know why that won't work. Far from efficient here, I'll give ya that. No low x-max either. But it sounds like you think this will be sloppier than a large sub which isn't moving very far and that's just not the case. This is a true SQ sub and it was built for that reason. And it does that job very well. This one compromises very little considering what it's asked to do and the constraints under which it's asked to do it.

For home use though I hear ya on the big drivers. I don't mind x-max so much and will use a ported cab every time if I can get away with it. Walking that back a little, if I have the room for a large vented subwoofer enclosure in a vehicle, I'll use it. But again, this is Tacoma World & we don't have much to work with. I've never been a van guy, but it would have that going for it :D

16. Jul 3, 2016 at 8:42 PM
    SlowComa666

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    oh i'm well aware of the physical considerations of our trucks. I'm not even running a sub right now, happy with my setup for 85% of the music i listen to. may add one eventually.

i usually audition before passing wallet judgement. though i have a friend that might still work for DD, that may effect my sub choice.

great build so far!

17. Jul 4, 2016 at 11:57 AM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Thanks SlowComa! As far as DD goes, I've heard nothing but good things about 'em. I'd like to try out one of the SLs. Kinda $pendy though. :evil:

I'd like to audition everything myself, but that's impossible. The Sundown would have been a difficult maybe but the Flutes and M25s - can't find those locally. All the shops around here carry a very narrow range of high volume stuff from 4 or 5 vendors & not much else. You'd think there would be good shops in such a huge market, but there's just not much of a car audio scene here.

18. Jul 5, 2016 at 6:52 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    I just couldn't stop at the stereo. I need tires. And after driving on these E-rated BFG AT KOs for a few years I want something different. These tires beat the crap out of me, they're loud and they're expensive.

And I never did really care for the wheels that came on the truck when I bought it

[​IMG]

Not that I don't like the way they look, but they stick out a little too far & rub & throw things at my paint. That was really the only compromise I had to make when I bought this truck. It was everything I wanted except factory wheels.

Solved that problem today. Scored a very nice set of starfish off a 2004 for $100!

[​IMG]

Not sure what tire I'm going with yet, but I want a quieter and less harsh ride. Shouldn't be too tough as I don't think it gets much more unpleasant than these extra-thick KOs.

Decisions...

OneWheelPeel likes this.
  19. Jul 9, 2016 at 8:23 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    So the Taco had a reasonably major facelift over the last few days.

From this

[​IMG]

To this. Rumor has it this removes an endorsement from my mancard, but I think it looks pretty decent for a 14 year old truck.

[​IMG]

I was unsure about reverting like this, but am now 100% glad I did it since most of my driving is on the road anymore. Those KOs were really kicking my ass on our perpetually trashed roads. With the new and much more tame Discoverers driving is much less intense. Along with steering rack bushings and a fresh alignment this truck feels so nice now. It feels nothing like the truck I was driving early last week.

Ride height has been reduced by an inch or so which I'll place in the lightly populated negatives category. Then again, lower center of gravity is better on the road. Noise is maybe 25% of the ATs - a VERY welcome change. Handling is more responsive and the truck wanders less. It's MUCH easier to control - this thing was a handful before. I have a few long road trips planned soon, so this will come in very handy. I'll need to mind my manners when I go wheeling & maybe take 2 spares :rolleyes:. Who knows though - maybe these rock in the rocks.

Looks - I dunno. I like it. I didn't dislike the way it looked before, but the tires sticking out always bugged me for practical reasons. These trucks are a dime a dozen around here, but sighting a more or less stock one is rare enough. The 16s look more like 15s on those tires, but ride be dreamy.

I've been thinking a little the last few days about this journey and how it got started and where it is now...mostly about equipment choices. The truck has gone from factory sounds, to a light upgrade, to a larger upgrade to where I am now - which I don't feel needs any improvement at all regarding the way it sounds.

As it sits, I roughly doubled the original budget of around $500 if you discount deadening materials...which was a great improvement over the factory kit, but left me hangin'. Knowing what I do now, I could do it all again for around $1,100. Worth every penny.

I have no plans to replace any equipment right now, but am toying with the idea of putting the PDX back in if I can solve its heat issue. I can tell it's going to take some creativity, but with the reduced cabin noise from the new tires, there's less to overcome. I'm not even sure I need it now. I'm driving it up to upstate Montana in a couple weeks - that should tell me one way or another.

gkomo likes this.
  20. Sep 1, 2016 at 7:19 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone. I knew the Lisa was coming out sooner or later as I wanted a bit more power and a smaller footprint, but that took a little time. I tried again with the PDX but never could come up with a solution that didn't complicate things past the point of not-worth-it.

A fan would make noise and complicate install and require a relay which sort of fell in the not-worth-it category. There was really no other solution. It just got too hot idling and heat kills electronics. Especially for an amp that claims to be so efficient, I can't accept that it gets uncomfortably hot doing nothing. That is how I define inefficient - converting electricity to heat while doing literally nothing else. Actually that's how I define heater.

So I sold the PDX and moved on to plan M - for McIntosh!

[​IMG]

Turns out this idea would have flaws too. What I didn't plan for is the McIntosh's almost 3 inch height. I had horizontal room under the driver's seat, which meant also moving the sub amp, but in the end it was just too tall. While it wouldn't provide much more rated power than the Lisa, I expected it to provide more headroom. But that's a moot point as I have nowhere else to mount amps.

On to Plan XD.

I'd been on the fence about this amp, but after I found one locally for a song, I decided to try out the JL XD 400/4. And I'm glad I did! This is a temporary arrangement as I'll be making a custom set of RCA cables for myself and will probably consolidate the distro & fusing. This is just old stuff I had lying around. I think I may use a bunch of 22/2 for stuff we usually use for microphones. Or maybe some DM. Still thinking on that part.

[​IMG]

This little gem is the size of half a Lisa length by width and is a good bit shorter as well. And mounted like this it still gives me access to the adjustments. Sound quality leaves nothing to be desired and all the power I want is there. It's gross overkill for the tweeters, but gives me the extra oomph I wanted in the doors. Zero noise floor with this amp - which is really awesome and one of the goals I wanted to achieve with a new amp.

It also helped me solve the rest of my problems. It let me totally hide the front stage amp under the seat while running very cool. After several hours of play the XD stays about the same temp as when it's just been turned on. It just refuses to warm up where the PDX got HOT. It sounds every bit as good as the PDX, and is available for around the same money. That's to say if I were trying to decide between the 2, the XD would win hands down. Yeah, the PDX gives you a little more power, but at the expense of a great deal of heat. The JL also spaced the caps out almost like they were meant to be there. Dead lucky, sure, but another reason I like it more than the PDX. It also somewhat tucks them under the cover.

Soon I'll be cleaning up the wiring and component placement in the truck a bit more and running tech-flex everywhere it needs to be. Now that I'm pretty sure I'm settled on components, all I really want to do is tidy everything up. Err, and finish the deadening. I'm hoping to get to most of this over the long weekend, but we'll see. We've been super busy at work lately and my fingers could use the break, but now that all the stuff to tidy up has arrived, it'll be in the back of my head until it's done.....

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top