1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 2.4L Tacoma Needs A Tuneup : Help with parts selection please

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by g725s, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Jul 7, 2018 at 12:25 PM
    g725s

g725s [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 2.4L manual transmission short bed small cab
    Well the plugs seem to work very good before I changed the air filter...

Yesterday I installed a new air filter(FRAM CA6690 Extra Guard) as the old one was very dirty. And I'm thinking that it might restrict the flow of air and give less power.

The air filter that I had in there before was the basic Fram not the "Extra Guard". I am thinking that maybe the "Extra Guard" version might restrict the air flow more. Anyone have similar results?

I seemed to notice a loss of power going up a big hill that it seemed I could climb easier before I changed out the air filter. I'm going to have to do more testing as I noticed this going up the hill to my house at the end of my workday yesterday. I use the truck as a work truck, and won't be using it again till Monday.

2. Dec 12, 2023 at 7:27 AM
    LBJon

LBJon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    1998 Black Tacoma Reg Cab
    I'm not 100% on this but did you disconnect the battery? I believe I've read in the past that after changing some things out its good to "reset" the computer by disconnecting the battery and letting it ecu "re-learn ".

I'd ask someone on here that knows more to back me up if that is correct or not.

Products Discussed in

To Top