1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 V6 PreRunner Timing Belt Replace

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RussR, May 28, 2011.

1. May 28, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    RussR

RussR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Tucson Az.
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner
    Hey There, just replaced the timing belt, water pump, on my V6. Before tear down I checked and set all the marks as per directions. After replacing, everything looked good, marks still lined up. I decided to verify the installation by rotating the assembly by crank nut, cant get the marks to line up again. Need a sanity check before moving forward. Signing off for tonight well check in the AM

Thanks, Russ

2. May 29, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    RussR

RussR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Tucson Az.
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner
    Well after digging up a copy of the FSM this morning the instructions say that the marks should line up again, if not to remove and reinstall.

Russ

3. May 29, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    RussR

RussR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Tucson Az.
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner
    Ok, after looking into this further it appears that the white lines on the replacement timing belt are for installation reference. They may perfectly match up with the factory marks on the cams and crank gear at some time later but who knows how many revolutions it takes to get there. The factory timing belt has no white lines on it, or an arrow mark. The bottom line is that mechanically the cam gears are either on the marks or 180 degrees out when the crank marks are lined up. Anyone care to chime in on this? The replacement timing kit is a Continental Kit. 2004 V6 PreRunner

4. May 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    TengoTaco

TengoTaco Wish i was wheelin

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD stock
    None
    Im a little fuzzy on what you are asking. Are you asking if lines on the timing belt have to match the crank/cam marks?

If so then no, i replace my belt a couple months ago. I just made sure the marks on pulley of the cam/crank matched the block. I disreguarded markings on the belt itself.

5. May 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    RussR

RussR [OP] New Member

Member:
    Tucson Az.
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner
    Tengo Taco, thanks for getting back, your correct, the only marks that matter are the factory marks on the engine. My Tacoma fired right up. The marks on the replacement belt just confuse the job. They do line up with the engine marks going on, but who knows how many revolutions it takes to get them to line up again.

Thanks,
    Russ

6. May 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    McBride513

McBride513 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 TRD
    whenever you do a timing belt, you have to turn the crank twice and make sure all your marks line up.

To Top