1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005-2011 Winch Mount Bumper - FREE SHIPPING

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by usoffroad, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Mar 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    Chaz84

Chaz84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    FOX 2.0 coil-overs, rear 2.0 RR's CD adj & roost shield, Wheeler's Off Road progressive 1.5" AAl's & Super bumps front & rear, 1' angled block, airlift bags w/ in-cab control & under hood compressor, trailer brake controller, Warn 1st gen M8000, U.S. Off Road hidden winch mount, Body Armor rear bumper, Trail Gear sliders (all Bullet-lined & welded), Sony touch screen dvd, JL Audio Stealthbox, 500/1 amp, Helix tbs, URD intake w/shield, 4 D-rings, in-cab wEnch controls (pics), door sill guards, weather tech mats, black-out headlights, LED cab/backup/bed/ trail/tag lights w/ hidden in-cab switches, PIAA yellow xenon fogs and PIAA extreme white plus headlights, AVS bug & vent visors, red Devil Horns, Undercover tonneau cover, two 30ft straps, tree saver, snatch block, tire plug kit,125psi compressor w/ 1.5 gal tank, 4 5k lb tie-downs, Mag light Pro w/glass breaker seat mounted (drvr&pass), diff breather mod (behind driver tail light), anytime locker mod, Mobil 1 diff oil, Mobil 1 extended performance oil and filter, 840 amp Energizer battery, 285/70/17 XD's, Nittos, 2x2 Cali Raised hyper spot ditch-light pods. CMC
    Pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    Chaz84

Chaz84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    FOX 2.0 coil-overs, rear 2.0 RR's CD adj & roost shield, Wheeler's Off Road progressive 1.5" AAl's & Super bumps front & rear, 1' angled block, airlift bags w/ in-cab control & under hood compressor, trailer brake controller, Warn 1st gen M8000, U.S. Off Road hidden winch mount, Body Armor rear bumper, Trail Gear sliders (all Bullet-lined & welded), Sony touch screen dvd, JL Audio Stealthbox, 500/1 amp, Helix tbs, URD intake w/shield, 4 D-rings, in-cab wEnch controls (pics), door sill guards, weather tech mats, black-out headlights, LED cab/backup/bed/ trail/tag lights w/ hidden in-cab switches, PIAA yellow xenon fogs and PIAA extreme white plus headlights, AVS bug & vent visors, red Devil Horns, Undercover tonneau cover, two 30ft straps, tree saver, snatch block, tire plug kit,125psi compressor w/ 1.5 gal tank, 4 5k lb tie-downs, Mag light Pro w/glass breaker seat mounted (drvr&pass), diff breather mod (behind driver tail light), anytime locker mod, Mobil 1 diff oil, Mobil 1 extended performance oil and filter, 840 amp Energizer battery, 285/70/17 XD's, Nittos, 2x2 Cali Raised hyper spot ditch-light pods. CMC
    good side (can tell it still took some hits from impact spots in the buff marks, only a basically unnoticeable bulge/bend to the front)
    [​IMG]

Here is a better pic of the bent side. The first pics I posted were a bit rushed, this has a better angle. Actually kind of worried because of the front bulge… it comes to a point on the corner. This mount is heavy duty and well built, they must have really dropped it…
    If you click on the pic and go to my gallery, there is another pic showing how the impact creased the smooth curve. Dunno if I can beat this smooth, flat, and evenly round… and straight with the rest of the front panel w/o heating it. Clear flat spot where it appears some ass straight-up dropped it on concrete.

Sorry Brad, this does not reflect on your impeccable work, it just took a real beating apparently. Graduate student, might be a bit longer than a week to get this mounted :/... kinda put all my eggs ($) in your basket an not sure if I can get this out myself. Only bullet liner and wiring was in "budget." Haha, cursing UPS despite killer delivery time. I suppose it was too perfect that I found exactly what I wanted after only having the truck a couple of months. Just have to laugh fellas, stuff like this tends to happen to me… almost use to it ha ha.

Mount is awesome though for anyone reading this that is considering one, order for sure!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  3. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    Chaz84

Chaz84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    And appreciate the advice Rich… watch out for that dog-cat… fetches, greets ya at the door… and actually obeys about 80% of the time ha ha.

No acetylene T or large crescent since coming back to school, kinda had to give up all of my shop tools/toys :/... had appointment to get it sprayed tomo, but going to try to take it somewhere to straighten this out a bit (after classes)… at least well enough for bullet liner to cover the bulge. Right now it def sticks out in front. Such an awesome job on this though, excited and torn up at the same time… Skeletal Radiology D Lab final in 9 hours, good night gents

4. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    usoffroad

usoffroad [OP] TEXAN Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Hico, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1998 4Runner and 1970 FJ40
    UPDATE: Using your photos, I have filed a claim with UPS tonight. I apologize that this was damaged but will follow up with UPS tomorrow and get this taken care of and another bumper to you asap. Was the box with the fasteners and slider plates, etc intact?

-----

Just got back in. Unreal, I've shipped these things all over the world and haven't had one damaged... zero. I'm not even sure how you do that to .250" steel, on a radius no less.

Packaging is really to keep water off of the bare steel and protect everything else from the bumper.

The prototype meets an untimely death in icy conditions then the first bumper received is somehow damaged. Whodathunkit?

Let me get with UPS tomorrow and see about a damage claim, etc... I don't think you are going to be able to fix that easily. I'll email or call you with a plan of action.

Pretty sure someone at UPS dropped it on that corner... out of an airplane... and then just went on their merry way without admitting to what they did. Typical.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  5. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    lamericle

lamericle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    keagan
    Eagle River, AK
    Vehicle:
    '12 Offroad AC
  6. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    Chaz84

Chaz84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Brad,
    Like you, I have no idea what they did to dent that corner... Must have dropped it from a loading dock or something really substantial... Does ups ground do air drops, maybe the chute failed?!?

It is quite unfortunate, but oh well... Just keep me updated on how to proceed. Checking email momentarily.

All hardware and the t-shirt are here and good to go!

And agreed, every day above ground IS a good day! Even if that day doesn't involve spraying a winch mount and running some wiring haha

7. Mar 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    Chaz84

Chaz84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Crisis averted. In hopes of saving Brad and myself the headache of dealing with UPS and the time etc it would consume, I took the mount to a local welding and fabrication shop. 73 year-old man with a University of Georgia hat on came out to greet me. We both are graduates and Georgia guys so immediate buddies baha…

Long story short, owner let me use the largest crescent wrench I have ever seen (around 2-2.5 feet) and a ball pein hammer. 30 mins later, it was straight and uniform to the point where the Bullet liner will fill in any imperfections. So possible install tomorrow, but truly thinking next week. Will get pics up of bullet liner tonight I assume.

Whew, was afraid that was going to be a real pain, life is good.

8. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    usoffroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Hico, Texas
    Vehicle:
    As we discussed on the phone, as long as you are satisfied with the end result that is what is important. I'm keeping the claim open until you give a final thumbs up. Structurally it should be unchanged, it's more of a cosmetic issue since it's up front.

I've been shipping these things all over the world for 2+ years with zero damages (until now) so obviously they are hard to destroy. UPS's track record has been excellent, I really can't complain. Since 1999 or so I've been sending stuff around the world with very very few instances of loss or damage... via UPS and USPS both.

When you have a 65+lb chunk of steel dropped, probably off of a dock, something is going to get dinged no matter how you box it... unless it's in a fridge sized box.

Regardless, if Chaz needs another you can bet I'll send it and work out the details with UPS otherwise he's probably got a special deal of some sort in his future. :)

9. Mar 14, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    usoffroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Hico, Texas
    Vehicle:
    No doubt, all something to consider at some point.

10. Mar 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    AlanLoshbaugh

AlanLoshbaugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    When does the 2012+ version come out? :D

11. Mar 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM
    Chaz84

Chaz84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Don't care if UPS slipped up a bit, Brad has been phenomenal and this mount is going to look incredible on the truck. Will post when that happens!

As for the dent, both sides match well, especially after I used a small piece of plumbing pipe to smooth out the still-curing Bullet and the very slight angle you see in the pic (no comparison shot so going to have to take this perfectionist's word for it).

The guys at Bullet Linings of Marietta, GA were impressed with the mount on all points. "How did UPS bend it?? This thing is built like a tank." Lastly, Bullet Liner is incredible stuff! My last Taco was Rhino Lined and will tell you this stuff is worlds beyond Rhino or Linex, A+++.

Thanks again Brad! Absolutely professional, incredible work, and unbelievable customer service!!!!! Good man.

12. Mar 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    Chaz84

Chaz84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Oh, and UPS is a great company, with whom I have also had great experiences. It is unfortunate that this rare mishap occurred; consequently, they were fast to try to rectify the situation via Brad's insanely quick claim. They had a driver stop by to pick it up while I was getting the mount sprayed (lady was home)!
    I am certain that a "new guy" made a mistake or they simply assumed that this thick of steel could not have bent and blew it off. No worries. Though more cardboard and plastic wrap never hurts, ha ha.
    However, don't think it would've mattered really. If it was dropped from high enough to do that, it likely would've been damaged no matter what…

Like the assumed failed air drop. ha ha

DoorDing: They were pretty good about spraying it thick on the skid plate area and the front while much thinner at the areas where it will meet the plastic and bolts. The reason I had it sprayed was for the thickness and to seal any crevases that might be penetrated by water. I think it looks amazing personally, it's going to be crazy durable for sure too.

13. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    Chaz84

Chaz84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr. Chase
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 blk Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Trust me bud, I read more than I care to admit about coatings after my dissatisfaction with the Rhino and my other trucks demise. Honestly, Bullet seems to be the perfect marriage of the two in hardness and is supposed to be exponentially more UV resistant. I will be doing the entire truck at some point...probably... it's a toss up for what will be first bt sliders, spraying truck, and suspension I would like... Tires will be 265/75R16 bfg at ko's no matter what so that'll happen when needed. (65k on last set and still had 10 to go)

I 110% recommend getting at least mount, bumper, flares and rockers sprayed with this stuff. I will have to wait with school expenses on doing the entire truck, but will say there is nothing like taking a sprayed, mildly lifted Taco w 32/11.50 bfg mts (& even ats after mileage killed me) through a hole/trail/swamp/straight up briar patch with no problems and seeing huge Chevy 2500's and jeeps w 33-37.5" swampers either bury themselves, get hung up, almost tip over or Destroy their paint while you pressure wash your rig and find it unscathed. Just saying... Def Not hating on the "big rigs" or Jeeps! Just loved my sprayed Taco

14. Mar 15, 2014 at 5:24 AM
    usoffroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Hico, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Chaz, that looks great! Turned out really nice, can't wait to see the finished installation.

Quite a few customers have used various types of polyurea coatings and it's a good way to go, takes a beating and is easy to patch if you ever need to freshen it up... just a quick tape off and spray. It's all about what you want as the customer, no right or wrong. One of the reasons I prefer to sell these bare is to provide a blank canvas of sorts, make it yours, choose your coating and color.

I'm the same way about the different coatings, Rhino's cold application tends to be a bit more rubbery, Linex a harder finish, both of which I'll use for different applications.

As far as Chaz's kind words go, it's much appreciated. I'm kind of an old school guy and simply try to treat others how I would want to be treated...and I have higher expectations than average which unfortunately tend to go unfulfilled far too often in business nowadays. I certainly don't want to treat others that way.

I appreciate everyone's business and interest. All orders have been shipped so these things are in the wild now and it will be fun to start seeing photos of the installations. I'm sure there will be some feedback and suggestions, there usually is from early adopters and is always welcome and quite frankly, is a necessary part of this process.

15. Mar 17, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    fj40taz

fj40taz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Williamstown, NJ
    Vehicle:
    10 Toyota Tacoma
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    mine showed up today and so far looks to be in good shape.. i have not taken all of the wrapping off since i had it sent to my job..

will look it over more once i get it home..

16. Mar 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    Is there going to be a 2012+ version?
    thx

17. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    usoffroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Hico, Texas
    Vehicle:
  18. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    sub'd to the second one, thanks
    already got the M8000-s waiting

19. Mar 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    usoffroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Hico, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I take it that UPS spared this one...???

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  20. Mar 18, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    fj40taz

fj40taz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Williamstown, NJ
    Vehicle:
    10 Toyota Tacoma
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    i will unwrap it tonight and look it over good but from first glance looks to be okay..

Products Discussed in

To Top