1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005-2015 Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-Xenon projector install guide

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TRSAndrew, May 4, 2015.

1. Jun 22, 2016 at 6:13 PM
    StevoNB

StevoNB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Thanks. Pictures definitely help.

YanE30M3 and TRSJimmy like this.
  2. Jul 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM
    11TX_PRO

11TX_PRO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RYAN
    Vehicle:
    2011 TACOMA TXPRO
  3. Jul 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM
    Tonacas2007

Tonacas2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno California
    I was able to use the oem ones on the ones I just finished this weekend, I ordered the 80mm just in case but they weren't needed

11TX_PRO[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 28, 2016 at 3:38 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    Very nice write-up and gives me a taste of things to come.

TRSJimmy likes this.
  5. Jul 31, 2016 at 10:40 PM
    11TX_PRO

11TX_PRO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RYAN
    Vehicle:
    2011 TACOMA TXPRO
    How important is it to be totally sealed off at the rubber boot? With my retrofit, the igniter part that attaches to the bulb is so big that there's no way it fits inside the rubber boot, so I ended up trimming the stock boot so that it fits over the igniter but sticks out still. I've had a bit of condensation in one of the headlights and was wondering if this is why it's happening or perhaps from something else? I took then back off and added some silicone around the edges to make sure I had them sealed there... And it still does the same with the condensation. I don't know what else to do.

6. Aug 1, 2016 at 5:08 AM
    TRSJimmy

TRSJimmy All I Do Is Nguyen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mall Crawlin Peerunner
    Eh, mine sticks out for awhile, never had issues. Water hardly comes from back there anyways. I would check your signal bulb seals, etc. If it all fails, you'll have to reseal it again. It is a lot of condensation?

7. Aug 1, 2016 at 6:36 AM
    Santanero714

Santanero714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Im on the same spot as you.
    Im pretty sure i sealed good with the retro rubber from TRS my headlights but some how theres like fog in both of the headlight. Its not that much but is visible. And i was wondering the same if it had to do with the way i trim factory boot. I trim it as tight as i could to fit the igniter.
    Or maybe im wrong maybe i didnt put enought rubber on both headlights.

8. Aug 1, 2016 at 8:21 AM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    If it's not bad like a tiny bit of condensation, add some silicia packs

9. Aug 1, 2016 at 1:13 PM
    11TX_PRO

11TX_PRO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RYAN
    Vehicle:
    2011 TACOMA TXPRO
    Mine isn't terrible... I think what is happening is after a wash or rain water just sits along that top edge and gets in there somehow. Then once it's in there every time there is a temperature difference between the lens and outside it will fog up. It's a real pain in the ass too! I have some silica packs... I'll try that I guess!

10. Aug 1, 2016 at 5:49 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    How do you add silica packs to remove moisture from the inside of a headlight assembly, or did I miss the big picture here? Well I guess you could be asking for the headlight to be removed from the vehicle and placed inside a plastic bag with the silica packs. Also, how large of silica packs are you recommending?

11. Aug 1, 2016 at 5:55 PM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    You don't have to remove the headlights. If the condensation is tiny, you can open the boot and drop a silica pack in between the bowl and housing. If you like, you can place one near the boot as well.

12. Aug 2, 2016 at 10:59 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Okay, so very small silica packets. The ones I have are 8 unit and 16 unit packs, just a tiny bit too large to stuff into a small opening. :homer:

13. Aug 14, 2016 at 9:14 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    OMG, this was such an easy modification. So far I have taken apart one headlight assembly and I cooked it at 250F for 12 minutes. The lens came off with a little effort and it was not stringy like other videos I've seen. The plastic housing also didn't distort because it was too soft from too much heat. The next one will be at 220F and again for 12 minutes just to see how that one goes. I did have to modify the reflector bowl by removing about 3/16" of material just leaving enough for the alignment washer to fit, and then modified the rubber lamp seal by carefully cutting away just a little at a time. All I need to do now is mount it on the truck and ensure the cutoff is perfectly horizontal, but it should be very close since there was very little wiggle room when using the alignment washer. Wish I had a test jig to mount it to. Guess if I were to modify these things all the time then that would make sense to have one. Now it's time to modify the second headlight assembly. I'm taking photos, hopefully they all come out.

I only have one concern right now and that is the shroud cover is just over an inch (I didn't take an actual measurement) away from my reflector bowl. I'm not sure what it will look like at night and I hope the light leakage doesn't cause it to look stupid nor blind other drivers. I have aluminum tape but I think that will block air flow for the bulb and it will run hotter than it should thus having a shorter life.

14. Aug 14, 2016 at 9:38 AM
    TRSJimmy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, very easy! However, your h4 adaptor plate will not work with Tacomas. Toyota mounted their h4 flange a few degrees off. You'll need to completely grind the flange down .

What shrouds did you go with? You can probably cover just where it leaks, but definitely don't do the whole projector.

Pictures after you're done!

15. Aug 14, 2016 at 9:51 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Crap, well that sucks. It's not a problem grinding the plate down, it's just I didn't want to remove the reflector bowl again. Oh well, live and learn. But thanks for that advice.

The Gatling Gun 2.0 shrouds.

EDIT: So about 3 minutes after posting the message, while headed out the door to Pizza Hut, I thought to myself that all I really need to do is remove the key (the metal finger that runs in the D2S projector housing groove vice more grinding and making a mess. But first I'll check the alignment since these are not factory headlights before making any changes. While the alignment may be off, there could be a slim possibility that it will be okay, or that could just be wishful thinking. Either way I will not know the outcome until next weekend when I expect to take my front end apart.

EDIT2: Modified the second headlamp assembly, looking good so far. Just need to give them a quick mounting and alignment before sealing them up. I am looking to mount the ballasts tot eh side of the headlights using very short self-threading screws. There appears to be ample room for short screws but I'll need to wait until after I have done the alignment as that may pull the reflector in too close to the housing to use some short screws.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Biscuits and TRSJimmy[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jun 16, 2017 at 8:56 AM
    KaptainH

KaptainH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 DCLB Sport
    Alright it's bad I'm stuck at such an early step but how do I secure the bulb in the projector? My kit didn't include the pieces that were on this video

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...7.4079j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=0

EDIT: Found a video with the 4.0! I'm doing it right just not very coordinated I guess. STANDBY FOR MORE QUESTIONS WHEN I FAIL

My next question is how do I set this up to test everything in my house with a spare 12v battery? I don't see a test harness

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  17. Jun 16, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    StevoNB

StevoNB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    I just used the morimoto harness installed on the truck to test it and horizontally aligned my projectors at the same time.

18. Jul 3, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    ItsRichieRich

ItsRichieRich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford Raptor
    Did anyone still use LED bulbs for the DRLs/Turn signals even with the blacked out housing?

19. Jul 25, 2017 at 11:06 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
  20. Jul 26, 2017 at 5:28 AM
    I3uller

I3uller Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Too far South

Products Discussed in

To Top