1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005, 3rd transmission only 75k!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MtnNinja_21, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Jan 6, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    MtnNinja_21

MtnNinja_21 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Lompoc/Turlock/Greeley Hill Cali
    Vehicle:
    2005 Sport Speedway Blue
    Total Chaos Front end 2.5 Deaver Springs Rear 2.5 Leather Two-tone(Blue/Grey) spidertrax wheel spacer(temporary)
    so i just put my third transmission in my tacoma! crazy i know, i bought the truck with 40k on it and it seemed okay then, then at 60k the first one went out so the warranty covered it. it was slipping alot between 1-2 2-3 and 4-5. so i left for deployment and my mom got the truck from march to november. i get it back seemed okay but wasnt really thinking about it much, last saturday i went offroading and on my drive back home i felt it start slipping again! so tuesday i took it into the dealership and they covered it since it was within the 12 month period since the last one.

has anyone else had or heard of any problems like this?

2. Jan 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4 SR5 V6
    Garage Fabbed +2 LT, FOA 2.5 RR w/ Comp Adj, 35 XMTs on Level 8s, 50T Spring Under w/ 13" Shackles, Elite Front Bumper, AP Rear, Retrofitted, Wicked Flow, Custom Roof Rack, Custom Sliders, Custom Scratches, 12" JL and an Audiopipe amp.
    Never head of that problem, very strange. Most of the auto transmission people say that their transmissions are great.

3. Jan 6, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    tacopuppy

tacopuppy Well-Known Member

Member:
    just to clarify, by "cover it" you mean they have put in three completely new/different transmissions in the course of 35k miles? that is highly coincidental. I wonder if there is an electronics issue associated with your problem.

4. Jan 6, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    never heard of a taco tranny going out before o_O...maybe on some homemade trail rig or something

5. Jan 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    There has been 3-4 instances reported here in the past number of months. One as recent as a couple of days ago.

6. Jan 6, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    MtnNinja_21

MtnNinja_21 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 Sport Speedway Blue
    Total Chaos Front end 2.5 Deaver Springs Rear 2.5 Leather Two-tone(Blue/Grey) spidertrax wheel spacer(temporary)
    its a daily driver, i do use it for hunting fishing and normal outdoor recreation, but i do sometimes offroad a lil hard but who doesnt. but besides that i never even saw the second one be put it because i left for deployment and mom picked it up and had it until november and she is very easy on vehicles. then i get it back @ 70k put 5k on it and only off roaded a few times, and went out in december. so i dont know whats going on but this one only has 400 miles on it now

7. Jan 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM
    MtnNinja_21

MtnNinja_21 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 Sport Speedway Blue

it just got the third one put in

stock on lasted til 60k
    2nd one 60k-75k
    3rd 75k-present

8. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    MtnNinja_21

MtnNinja_21 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 Sport Speedway Blue
    so got some more news to add on to this.....believe it or not the transmission is going out again and its only at 79k. so thats number 3 bad. im going into the dealership tomorrow and going to see what they say since its still covered. has any one ever heard of the lemon law. and what does it take to qualify?

9. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    Maybe someone welded your diff gears together as a joke or something:confused:

There has to be something else causing the trannies to go bad

10. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    niteridearc

niteridearc Active Member

Member:
    LA
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC LB
    PIAA fog lights, Grillcraft, DR c/O's
    I have on 09 4x4. The tranny overheated the first 1000mi. But that's only due to my friend's stupidity, not a toyota problem. They replaced it and it works fine. You shouldn't have anymore problems.

11. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    You have something else going on there. The most probable suspects that I'd go after are:

- Improper ATF level. Perhaps the dealer's tech doesn't know what they're doing and putting incorrect levels in it. Or worse yet, the wrong oil.
    - Computer shifting logic is incorrect
    - Something you're doing while driving. Though, I abuse the hell out of mine and I'm over 37.5k and still shifting like butter.

Good luck in your ventures, but lemon law typically would not apply in this case due to millage/length of ownership. However, check your local laws as each state is different.

12. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Check state law, but Lemon Laws typically apply to new vehicle purchases only.

Products Discussed in

To Top